1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Things that leave you speechless

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Wasn't sure what to title this, but thought my little anectdote might be amusing, and might inspire some more of the same:

There is a middle aged woman that works in my building, who has expressed an interest in seeing one of my shows. She's an educated woman, I believe possibly a social worker or psychologist. I don't know her very well. I don't talk with her often, we're just aquaintances. Today she stopped me as I passed her, and asked if I knew any metal bands. I didn't understand exactly why she was asking, and was in a crazy hurry, so our conversaton was rushed, but it went something like this:

Woman: Do you know any metal bands?
    Me: Uhh... yes, famous, local.... uhh... why, what for?
    Woman: Shrugs. (Said something, but I didn't quite catch it. Since she previously expressed an interest in seeing one of my bands I say...)
    Me: Led Zeppelin is a metal band, and I'm in a Zep tribute that will be playing in a couple of weeks.
    Woman: Oooh!! I LOVE LED ZEPPELIN!!!! Where and when are you playing?
    Me: BB Kings. The 25th.
    Her: Wait!!!! Are you IN Led Zeppelin?!?!

2. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    I just smiled, and said, "No. I'm not in Led Zeppelin. It's a tribute to the band." She asked me the date again, and said she's going to come. I had to run though... my dayjob is substitute teaching, and I had to get to my class before the bell which was about to ring.

3. bassteban

bassteban

4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps she is a "Cougar"
    Go for it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Something's probably going on. Check it out, unless you have a gf or wife.

7. Bob C

Bob C

Livin' Lovin' Maid.

8. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

she wants the D

9. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

A girl interested in metal bands?? Yay!!

Too bad she's probably not located near me.

Peace,
    Greg

10. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    She looks like someone who might have a little cougar mentality happening, but I am happily married, and don't think I'd go for it even if I weren't. I couldn't imagine spending more that 5 minutes with someone who asked me if I were in Led Zeppelin.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696

Love the story! When my mom hears any band I'm in play, she asks if the songs are originals, because she's never heard of any of them...

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Reminds of a time when my band was doing some shows with a very well known classic rock artist who is now performing as a solo act. We were in Pittsburgh and the hotel rooms were registered under his name. My wife was with me and our guitarist had his wife with him. As we were checking out, the desk clerk, who was a young woman (probably no older than 25), started screaming because she though we were members of the other artist's band. She asked us to wait while she ran for a camera. A minute later she came back with several hotel employees and asked us to take pictures with them and also asked for autographs. The guitarist and I didn't have the heart to tell them that we were not who she thought we were.

13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

It would fun to be there to see their faces when they figure that out.

14. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    OK. If I weren't experiencing this, I would think it ws bull... 2X, in 2 days, almost the same incident...

Run into a guy tonight (another aquaintance) who I haven't seen in while, and he asks if I'm still playing. I hate when people ask that, but I get it. I say yeah, a couple of bands, and tell him we're playing on the 25th if he wants to check it out. He makes a face as in "no way" (people my age don't go out to clubs like they used to :)), and I ask him if he's into Zeppelin, telling him it's a zep tribute. I swear on my eyes the following is what ensued, "PHYSICAL GRAFITTI, dude! That's my favorite!!!" I say, "So come see us!" He follows with, "I love that song Physical Grafitti!!! One time I was on the highway with this dude, Physical Grafitti came on, and he stopped the car in the middle of the highway, got out, and started dancing to it!!! I'll never forget that!"

I promise you I'm not creative enough to make this sheeitt up. I'm going to start telling everyone I run into that I play in a Zep tribute. Never knew how fun it could be.

15. richntiff

richntiff

16. bassteban

bassteban

Lynrd Skynrd? I LOVE that guy

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Not music related, but when I was 17 I was a cook at a pancake house. I started at 6:00 AM and woke up early one morning and decided to stop a dunkin donuts for coffee on the way in. I was dressed in my cook's shirt, had a pony tail halfway down my back, couple days growth of beard and as I'm talking to the girl behind the counter, out of the blue she asks me if I'm a doctor. :rollno:

I was speechless. I'm still speechless.

18. ggunn

ggunn

He and Jethro Tull are good friends.

19. Rocker949

Rocker949

Along with Molly Hatchet.