Things you think are far too expensive.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

What are some things you think are far too expensive yet people pay for angways.

Obviously you can say everything too expensive blame (insert president) don't do that. Mainly luxuries. (No not healthcare either)

I actually don't find gas that expensive where its currently at.

My two biggest pet peeves are
    1. CABLE I have friends paying around 200$ a month for cable... Uh no.... Seriously I'm not paying more than 20$ MAX and I'd be complaining about that being too high.

2. Cellphone service with data, this I DO have and it has never REALLY bothered me, but its beginning to. Definitely not something I'm willing to give up not yet anyways.

Yours?

2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

first two things that came to mind for me as well.

in the interest of adding to the discussion:

going to the movie theater. I can buy the movie on blu-ray for less than the price of two tickets around here. then the girlfriend wants twizzlers, a slurpee, and some popcorn, woulda been cheaper to just get her a diamond ring :p

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

+1

Though, I found out the Edwards theater near my house has $6 tickets all day on Sunday & Tuesday. I bring in my own candy and drinks and at that rate it isnt too bad.

Yeah, phone service with data is pretty high. My bill is ~$90 a month. I dont pay for cable, and no way would I at that $200 a month.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Which brings us to diamond rings! Oy! Those things aren't cheap! (But then again, neither are the girls who wear them.)

A 20oz. soda in the bottle has gotten ridiculous. You can get a 2 liter for less even in the same building where you buy a single 20oz. Even at the gas station you can get a 2 liter for less than a 20 oz. I know people who get a few a day! I bet they are spending a few HUNDRED DOLLAR on those things a month!

A good pocket knife that won't break or get dull every time you use it is more than $50 these days.

Cars. I can't stand car payments. So when I buy one I write a check. (Not bragging.... I buy really cheap cars.) And the checks have gotten way too big. I see ads for new cars and ask myself what kind of person pays $20K-$30K for these little roller skates. Little cars like the Ford Focus, Chevy Malibu, Toyota Camry, etc. blow my mind when I think of how many people buy them new.

I'm probably the wrong one to ask because I'm really cheap.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

Food. Healthy food. Our grocery bill has gone up at least 40% over the last year or so. We don't buy Hamburger Helper or other processed foods. It's crazy. We hear how the country is so obese yet eating healthy is out of reach for many.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Well, I might as well be the first to say it: A lot of vintage instruments. I do love 70s Jazz Basses and every one that I've played has been a killer piece. Are they really worth they price that they go for on the market? IMHO, no! There are plenty of modern production basses that are just as good or better. The whole vintage craze is something I don't understand.

But that's the interesting thing about markets. Value is not some intrinsic property to any commodity or service. It's entirely socially constructed. In that regard, markets work on a tautological principle.

Cable is outrageous, particuarly considering what you actually get with a cable package: Channels upon channels of garbage. I've never had cable since I've lived on my own. I don't walk around like one of those douchey, self-enlightened noncable people, but it really is garbage.

8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Any woman who requires a diamond ring is too expensive. For that matter, women, in general, are too expensive.... :bag:

9. two fingers

Derail.........

You haven't found the right woman. When I found my wife, I slapped a ring on her finger so fast it made her head spin. I would have bought 5 diamond rings if that's what it took. When you find the right woman, the "hoop" you jump through in traditionally buying a diamond ring to propose is no big deal.

............. now back to our regularly scheduled program.

10. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

Yessir. Groceries. It's ridiculous.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I havent paid for cable/internet myself. In my last residence I used my phone for internet, and we had, uh, free cable.
    I see a lot of this bundling stuff these days, phone-internet-cable packages and whatnot. To those of you who dont pay for cable, what internet provider do you use and how much a month do you pay?
    Im moving into a new place soon, and will likely want internet access.

12. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to complain about healthcare. I'm just gonna say it's too expensive and leave it at that.

I don't smoke but tobacco seems to be pretty damn expensive. For example in Idaho a pack Camels is around 5 bucks then in Washington that same pack is about 8 bucks.

Drinks in bars are too expensive. Good thing I only hang out in bars if I'm playing there.

Kids are too expensive ;)

13. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

+1 Movie theater. The power was out last week so I went and saw Skyfall. I paid $4.50 for a bottle of water.

14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Cable, internet, cellphones and cellphones plan, ammos (shooting is fun but anything else then .22 is expensive imo.), alcohol, cars, rent, food, college, everything?

15. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

+1

Ammo prices have gotten ridiculous. Maybe someday I'll start reloading.

16. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Further derail.... maybe Bloodhammer is into the same women I'm into. I never bought my wife a diamond ring and probably won't. We've talked about having custom rings (not expensive) made though.

17. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Pretty much, The cost of necessities keeps going up but wages haven't followed suit.

Its pretty messed up, I used to go out( bars, concerts, movies) a lot and still had a good amount left over. Now i make more money and have nothing at all left over after necessities. I used to go out 2-3 nights a week, now its once every 2 months at most.

18. thomashawk

thomashawk

I would say any woman requiring a diamond is too cheap. She may think she has expensive tastes, but she is in fact a cheap human.

To the thread topic, +1 on food - and it is going to get MUCH worse.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Cashews. $8-10 a pound? Seriously?

-Mike

20. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

See I can't say I find groceries to be outrageous..

It's one of the few things you MUST have to live..

But then again maybe that's why it should be cheaper? .......... Idk

21. two fingers

Good point. That's why there will be lots of them under the tree this year. They're only going to get higher due to ...... well..... they're going to get higher.