thinkin about an Ibanez..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charliefreak, Dec 28, 2012.

1. charliefreak

charliefreak

Hey Ibanez players! (Ibanezers???)
    I just found out I can get ibanez gear really cheap!! I've always thought ibanez necks were way too thin to be playable- so I'm thinkin about going for a 6er. I'm leaning toward the Ibanez BTB776PB. Does anybody have this and can shed some insight about their quality? I had a btb400(???) once that had a screwy neck. Is that a concern w/ a neck thru 6 string? Any kind of advice is helpful as I know next to nothing about Ibanez!

Thanks,
    CF
  2. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

I love Ibanez. The BTB's have thicker wider necks than the Sdgr's. The sixers are wider but still thin.
  3. smogg

smogg

I've never heard anybody say BTB or ATK necks were too thin to be playable. I have heard some say that about SR series 4 string necks though. Sounds like a trip to GC or Sam Ash is in order.
  4. charliefreak

charliefreak

Maybe it's something about the string spacing. All I know is that back when I switched from a warwick rockbass to a btb400.. starting to think it was a 200.. I got so tripped up in the strings. I also had a hard time with hand placement. Spanning a million frets is cool too tho, but I play a fender jazz 5er regularly and I'd like to find something I can switch it out for at gigs w/o throwing off my game.

The first btb I had was literally twisted in the neck. Or at least I think it was. I only had it for 3 months before chucking about 6 feet in the air off of a 4 ft stage lol. Short story- it didn't make it. Not a day goes by that I miss being an angsty teen :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smogg

smogg

LOL, oh to be young again.
    So lets see if I got this right. You are in the market for a 6er? Thinking Ibby BTB 'cause you can get a super good deal? Def try before you buy if you can. If it turns out you don't like it (the BTB) maybe a used Cirrus 6 or a Carvin 6 might suit your needs.
  7. charliefreak

charliefreak

I like Carvin a lot from what I've played, I honestly never even thought about peavey tho. How does a cirrus compare to a btb in your opinion? The real beef is finding a 6 string to try in a store. The only ones I ever see are gsr's or higher end Tobias and Warwicks. I really like the brubaker mini brute 6er's- I like a nice thick bass, but my price range is right around $400- which is why I'm jumping at that btb opportunity. It'd be a brand new one too.
  8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    While you're trying them out, check out the SR1206. I picked up one a few months back and have really grown to love it more and more. It's quality through and through and it will give you another reference point when checking them all out. As far as the neck goes, it's not super thick but I don't think of it as too thin either. My other main player is an American Standard P-bass and I go back and forth between them with no issues.
  9. charliefreak

charliefreak

That is a fine looking instrument. How would you compare the pickups on that to the Bart MK-2's?
  10. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    I've got Barts that came in my Lakland 55-01 and compared to them, the Nordstrands seem more open and a little more growly. Not sure if those are really good descriptors but there it is. I really like the Nordstrands a lot and they created a very nice pre-amp to pair with them. I can get a ton of tones out of the Ibanez and think that you could play just about any style of music with it. I haven't had trouble finding a tone I was looking for yet. Now don't get me wrong, I like the sound of my barts in the Lakland a lot as well but these just seem to have more "air" in the tone to me.
  11. charliefreak

charliefreak

Thanks Bass Thimper,
    That really helps! I think bart's just tend to be a little airy. But they're deep- maybe they're reaching too far for a certain frequency and just really opening up the range. Then again, the poles are alot close on the nordstrands. Thanks for the recommendation! I can't wait to check it out!
  12. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Not all Ibby necks are created equal. I've got an older SR400 and a newer SR500. The necks look the same but play very different. the spacing is the same on both but my 500 has more beef to it. the 400 is cut to be very thin and light while the 500 has, what i want to call, deeper neck. the 500 is miles easier to play because of it. I strongly recommend you head to a store and play all the models they have.
  13. hgiles

hgiles

I love my Ibbys!
  14. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

I dig my Ibby. necks? Thin=fast!
  15. charliefreak

charliefreak

I'll second this- but only if you play on Ibanez. If you switch from a 5 string fender jazz to and ibanez sr in the middle of a set- your accuracy will suffer.
  16. bassbenj

bassbenj

I think it's just going to come down to you trying things and see what you like. I've got a SR206 and an SR 506 and the thin-fast necks are a joy to play for me. And I say that being a fan of more chunky necks. My G&Ls are the main axes. My least favorite neck is the Fender Jazz V. So whatever feels good to you.

Speaking of $400 sixers, I just bought an ESR LTD B206SM at Sam Ash for that price range that is absolutely gorgeous spalted top, and has just about the best finished neck I ever played. It was that neck that made me buy it. Tone is killer. And the neck profile is pretty much what I'd call "standard" and I don't think would offend anyone. But of course, your situation is you can get special prices on Ibby's.

I tried a used BTB 6er a while back in the store but didn't much like it. But that was me. Just try 'em. To me radically switching string spacing throws you off much more than neck profiles.
  17. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

The BTB series is a great bass with a versatile sound. I have the BTB575 the little brother and like the bass quite a bit. The neck is solid and play fine. It is a little flatter and wider than the SR series. I also have an SR5XX the limited version of the SR1205. That neck is not as flat and smaller overall. Each neck tends to lead to playing certain styles and tones. If you can check out both since the preamps also can vary on models.
  18. Itzayana

Itzayana

Over the years I have owned 5 Ibanez basses. 3 SR's and 2 ATK's.
    They have all been very good instruments. The build quality and playability has consitantly been much better than average.