1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking about a fretless with a woody tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I'm looking for something somewhat light and preferably at least semiacoustic to balance out my six string basses which weigh over ten pounds. I'm also wanting to get a fretless, both to improve my ear but also just because I like the sound.

I'm looking at three basses: a Breedlove Atlas 4 string acoustic bass, a Godin A4 semi acoustic bass, or a Tony Franklin signature from Fender full electric.

I'm not trying to emulate an upright because I know it won't happen with anything other than an upright. I'm going for something kinda like Jaco but warmer and more organic. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

"Sounds like wood", is the way I used to describe the sound of my Peavey Cirrus F/L.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

4. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

The AC classic from f-bass sounds like a upright. It's also like 10000$ though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kael

Kael

Woody organic fretless tone makes me think Rob Allen.

7. Blake Bass

Blake Bass

+1 to Rob Allen..the best fretless I have ever played..and I have played a ton of them!

8. Duplo42

Duplo42

Definitely check Epiphone Zenith - I was taken by surprise at how double-bassy and low-end it is. It had tapewound string on it thou, so check them out on other basses too, they make a difference

eidt: here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsuiVj3B9E0

9. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    definetly...an FBASS...AC or AC Classic

10. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

An f-bass would be wonderful, but would probably break the bank. I'd recommend a Rob Allen if you can afford one, or, if you're a mere mortal like me and can't, then go with a Carvin AC40, or an AC50 if you decide you want a five string.

11. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

12. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Bass NW has/had one of those for sale. REALLY like the looks of those, but can't justify/afford another bass right now, and my music funds are going to an amp upgrade.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    +1

The Rob Allen is truly the best hollow body fretless, IMHO. However, the Tony Franklin I played was even better than my '70 fretless P-bass, and had some nice bridge pickup growl.

The Godin looks interesting. I played one of their guitars, and it was really well made.

14. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Godin A4. Light, excellent sound from growl to thump.