Thinking about buying an L2000 sight unseen

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

I'm told this versatile bass can get me pretty close to the tone I want (Chancellor) with the proper effects and amps. I've speced out the one I want and have a G&L dealer 10 miles from my house that says they can order whatever I want.

I am considering buying one without ever hearing it. Should be a huge step up from my Ibby SR300.

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?
  2. timmus

timmus

I just added an L2500 to my stable...if the 2000 is anything like the 2500, you'll find it's a tone monster. It has a great neck and action.
  3. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

They are awesome basses. My l2000 plays so well and feels like home. Such a nice instrument. BUT, the MFD have this inherent, I dunno, wooly sound that is kind of particular. I hate to say it cause I love the L2000 so much, but it doesn't really fit in the mix right like my Lakland...no matter how I EQ it. Because of this I rarely gig it these days and I am thinking of trading it. Having said that, if you like that wooly tone you will be stoked. So basically my answer didn't help at all sorry. As an alt you may want to consider a Lakland 55-01
  4. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

I have an L-2500 Tribute and love it. Presently one of my favorite and most played basses, I have a few so that says a lot. That said you can't go wrong with a Lakland either. Both great basses......tough decision if it were me choosing between the two.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I have owned two L-2000s. Great basses, if you don't mind diddling around with knobs and switches. There's an almost infinite number of tones to be had, but I found it to be a lot of work to dial in the sound I wanted. Guess that's why I went baccck to the ol' P-Bass. YMMV.
  7. Doctor J

Doctor J

I'm a big advocate of buying online but, if you've developed as a player on an Ibanez SR then you really should play a L2000 first. The neck on the G&L will seem huge to you. Definitely play one first. For the sake of 10 miles, make the trip.

I love the tone of my L2000. It's simple and intuitive to get the sounds you want.
  8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Buy used. I bought my first G&L (used but mint L2500 Tribute) here on TB sight unseen about 4 or 5 years ago and I still love it. I then went and bought a brand new L2000 Tribute from a dealer and paid alot more. If you are going to go that route, I would look around the classifieds here and buy used.
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Really great, versatile basses. I love mine.

You really should try to play one before you buy, though. The controls are a bit quirky and G&L necks come in a variety of shapes so it will be easier to order one of you know which shape you like.

Regarding kellyrojo's comment about the "wooly" qualiy of the MFD p'ups, yes, they do sound pretty dark, but the bass cut control has always been enough for me to tame that. I've also added a coil tap mod to mine, and in single-coil mode you get a whole additional range of sounds.
  10. MarshallNole

You have different neck options. The one I want has the #8 neck "Modern NArrow C" which is a 1.5" nut width just like my Ibby.
  11. MarshallNole

The problem about buying used is that I am left handed and very particular. I want the look I speced out. Redburt finish, ebony fretboard. Left handed.
  12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Fair enough. They are great basses. I can get a Wal like tone but its only in the same zipcode, not exact (even when I put in an ACG filter preamp similar to what Wals have in them). So keep that in mind.
  13. MarshallNole

The dealer near me has an L2000 Tribute in stock I can listen to. Not sure how much different teh Tribute will sound compared to a US made L2000, which is what I want.
  14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Tribute will sound exactly like a US...same electronics, just the US will have better woods/fit/finish/options.
  15. Lo-E

Lo-E

He's right. Tribby will be, essentially, the exact same bass.

It sounds to me like you've already really done your homework, and I suspect you could probably take the chance of buying blind and end up not being disappointed, but if there's a Tribby you can go play just to make sure you like the sound, that's a small investment in time to protect a much bigger investment in funds.

If you go to test drive it, make sure you play around with that bass cut control for a while. Running it at half is like a completely different bass than running it at full. Also, a lot of players like to take advantage of the preamp bypass and run these basses passive. Take your time and really investigate the possibilities; L2Ks are like Swiss Army basses, but there's a learning curve.
  16. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    IMO, most of Chancellor's tone is form his FX chain more so than the bass itself. A G&L L series with a smorgasbord of FX will get you pretty dang close. I used to own an L-2500 that I bought sight unseen, and would have no qualms buying a US L-series again. A Tribute, I'd like to try out first though.
  17. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

For the record, as has been said here, Tribby's are designed and built to be the same as US. Same pickups and preamp makes it so. Americans can be built with neck width options, wood and finish choices that Tribs can not. I've owned both -- unlike some Lakland US vs Skyline models, you really can't feel or hear the difference. In an odd turn, all my fave G&Ls turned out to be Tributes.
  18. Doctor J

Doctor J

Aye, side to side it will be the same, but SR necks are slimmer than anything else front to back.
  19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That's the best way to buy a G&L if you can. Get it your way. If the budget allows, you might want to get a few upgrades while you're at it. There's a million way to configure a G&L, but one in particular is a must for a L-2000 IMO....

The K-switch option. It really opens up the L-2000. I have to say, mine is the biggest sounding bass I've owned, and I have a room full of nice basses with all sorts of electronics arrays. The L-2000 totally kills with this option.

I'd also spring for a quarter sawn neck upgrade.