1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking about changing strings...only thinking right now

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I generally like the strings on my bass. But I'm thinking about trying something else.

The bass is an Ibanez BTB1006E. Bolt-neck, Bartolini pickups. I currently have DR Sunbeams on it. Nickel rounds, in case someone doesn't know. They sound pretty nice, especially for being a few months old (going on two or three months, I think). But I've been a bit...not sold, I guess, on other aspects. The B string sounds a bit off, but I think any B string will do that when you tune it down a half-step like I do. I dunno of any fix for that short of a slightly heavier string, which DR does not provide (I'm already using the .130-B set).

My genre is metal, broadly speaking. More precisely we take influence from classic doom, prog from Genesis to Dream Theater, and to a lesser degree Iron Maiden, Skeletonwitch, and Children of Bodom. Having a strong but articulate fingerstyle sound is my chief concern, as we're a three-piece band unless we get a keyboardist (which we might, but might not).

I've considered flatwounds some (How can you go on Talkbass and not consider flats at least once?), mostly thanks to John Paul Jones and Steve Harris, but I'm worried they wouldn't play nice with tapping (which I do some of) or effects (which I hope to do some of in the future). Are there any flats that would work well with those and fit the 35'' scale of the bass?

On the note of tapping: I've heard DR steel Lo-Riders are less bright than Hi-Beams, but also very good for tapping. I could handle a bit more brightness on this bass, but not a lot more. Is what I've heard about Lo-Riders accurate?

I've also considered getting a balanced set from Circle K, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

Alternatively, if anyone has other strings they think I should try, please inform me of what strings and why.