Thinking about death? Read this...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Jan 26, 2014.

1. stratovani

stratovani

2. ZenG

ZenG

well.......everybody knows they've got to go sometime.....

It's a blessing to have had a life that that one was able to experience rather than have it cut short early on in life by some disasterous cause.....

I think most people are more concerned about what happens AFTER they die than dying itself..

Fear of the unknown is often scary........

I think all religions play on this fear....although they never mention the part in the Bible that says 'the dead are conscious of nothing at all"

I believe that when I die I will either be experiencing nothing (dead)....or I will be resurrected.

If I WAS resurrected....there would be no "time delay" experience.

I die. Then I'm not conscious of anything(although hundreds years could pass). And then I'm resurrected.

So in reality it would feel like the second you died, you'd be resurrected...in other words just one smooth transition.

I personally don't believe in the old-school "roasting in Hell"

or any purgatorial stage before that.

Everybody's got their own beliefs....but that's the way I roll....

I think when you get quite a bit older there is more of a sense of urgency to do enjoyable things before you get too old to do them........:)
  3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I'm kinda at that balance between worrying about dying and worrying about getting old.

The whole depends isn't my cup of tea.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When I turned 40, thinking about living to 80 or more, all I could think was "you mean I'm only halfway there? I have to do this same stretch all over again?" I wish I could get time off for good behavior.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

In the past year, I lost my mother to cancer and also lost 3 dogs whom I loved dearly due to cancer. My entire perspective on death has changed immensely. It's a journey we all have to go through and it's our duty as family or loved ones to help them go through it comfortably and gracefully. To pay them back for everything they did for us. If we're lucky, when our number is up, we'll be with the people we love, enjoy a few of our favorite things one last time and have a chance to get things in order before we leave.
  7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It will go quick. The first 40 are 100% of you life at point.

The next 40 are only 50%. It will be over before you know it.
  8. COBRARI

COBRARI

I am 64.
    When I was 40, I honestly thought I'd never live to be 50.
    What do I know? Fate is the hunter.
    One thing I don't do is dwell on the past or dream about the future. I live today.
    It is ok to plan and prepare for what might be ahead.
    Softens the blow when you get blindsided by the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune.

Yea... 64 and singing and playing bass in a classic rock band. Life is good.
    My only wish is that I go out painless. Like going to sleep and checking out. That would be ok by me.
  9. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

I'm 60. My parents are both in their 90s and somewhat lucid, but miserable. They've outlived almost all family and friends from their generation. Based on what I've seen, longevity sucks. I just hope I have the sense and guts to check myself out before I become a burden.

Neil Young was right. Burn out > fade away.
  10. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

I am living proof of immortality, and so are all of you!
  11. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I'm not worried about what happens after death. I'm convinced what follows is the endless nothing. That is possibly why i am so scared of it. And of getting old. I don't know that i'll be able to even handle turning 40 in 5 years from now. I better improve my life fast or else i feel i'm likely to have become extremely depressed and potentially suicidal by then....
  12. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

This reminds me one of my favorite Little Britain quote as spoken by its narrator, Tom Baker: "When I am old, I hope I have the good manners to throw myself out of a window. But some people are selfish and go on living, like this old bitch."

(the funny part too is Tom Baker IS old)
  13. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm more worried about growing old than dying. Everyone dies so there's not much to worry about there. Growing old is much more financially and physically complicated.
  14. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

I'm 20, and not at all looking forward to someday possibly not being able to take care of myself or do what I enjoy.

Not just death, but there is so much that can cause you to need to completely reshape your life.
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm 43. I'm in fairly good physical and financial shape now. But my parents and their friends are entering their 70s and I see many different health problems popping up for them. Some of which are avoidable through lifestyle choices, and some are not. There is also a big financial strain that growing old puts on people.

I think dying is the easy part of life. Growing old seems to be the tough part.
  16. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Everything decays, and it sucks.
  17. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

18. bmc

bmc

We all know we are going to die. But deep down, we really don't believe it will happen.

That's an excellent article that I can resonates. Getting diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer last year, slow things down and changed my life. In many ways it has been a gift. It has been an awakening. One of the first conclusions I came to was that nothing had changed in my life: I still don't know when I will die. I never have. I could outlive my children.

I turn 56 in March. My health issues of the past year have forced me into living today, in the moment. If one does not use their time meaningfully, it is wasted time. You don't get to bank that time. It's lost. There are roughly 86,000 seconds in day. If someone gave you $86,000 to be spent in one day, or you would lose it, you would focus on making the most of it. Time is your money. Live your life with meaning.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have feared death since I saw my young cousin being lowered into the ground that was in 1971. I have escaped death three times and I know I'm living on borrowed time.
  20. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

― Mark Twain
  21. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Sam had it together, didn't he?