1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking about doing some trading...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass6811, Jan 30, 2013.

1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Hey all,

I hold down the bottom end for a cover(mainly)/original band. We play everything from Michael Jackson/Don Henley/Flock of Seagulls to Breaking Benjamin/Alice In Chains/Pantera. You can tell from my sig that I have pretty decent gear and I like the tones that I get. Lately, however, I've been GASsing for a Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz Bass V. Not sure why, as I've never owned a Fender, but I played one in a store and I really dig some of the YouTube clips that I've seen. I don't have the dough to just go buy one, so I'd either need to trade or sell a current member(s) of my stable or try to save up the money, which could take a while. So, do I:

Trade the Modulus+cash?

Trade the Spector Euro 4LX+cash?

Trade the Spector Forte5(That should be an even swap, but I dunno)

Keep 'em all and just try to save up for it?

I play the Spector Forte5 and the Mod. Q5 the most. The Spector Forte is #005, so it's one of the originals and the Q5 actually has a 6 string neck on it, so it's great for the funky stuff. I really want the Fender, though...

What do you guys/gals think?

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Sounds like some pretty nice gear. Can't really go wrong with a Fender Jazz bass... especially since it sounds like you've been playing for long enough to know what you like when you hear it. And you seem to be digging the Fender. So I say go for it! I personally prefer Spector over Modulus so my completely subjective and personal opinion would be to trade off the Modulus.
    On a side note, I'd be careful posting threads like this without being a supporting member ($20/year donation), since technically only supporting members are allowed to post sale/trade threads.
    But anyway, good luck with your dealings!

3. pbass6811

Media:
    Point well taken, but I'm not trying to sell or trade anything on here, I'm just asking some opinions, my friend...;)

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

I certainly don't mean to insinuate that either, but some members may take it that way and the mods could potentially delete the thread for this reason. TB can be a sensitive forum in that regard

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kai_ski

kai_ski

If you're impartial to which piece of gear you sell/trade to fulfill your GAS, just put them all up and let the market decide.

Do this in the following order:
    1. Donate/buy a supporting membership.
    2. State what you're looking for.
    3. Offer your trade items and conditions.
    4. Make a trade!
    5. Repeat.

7. millsbass5

millsbass5

I'd dump the Spector 4. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

8. pbass6811

Media:
    On the surface, it would seem so, but I'm not sure that alone would get me as close as I'd like. I do agree with you and that was my original thought.

Folks, I'm really NOT trying to "sneak one by" anyone. I'm merely asking for some opinions on what other folks might do in the situation I currently find myself in. If I had my 'druthers, I'druther keep everything I've got and just add the Jazz, but I just don't think, in my current financial situation, that that is going to keep me sleeping in the bedroom with my wife! If I come home with a new bass, one of the current ones had probably better be gone...which one is the question I'm asking.

If anyone finds this thread offensive or out of line, by all means remove it or whatever is appropriate.