Thinking about getting a 2nd Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pastorjamesc, Dec 10, 2013.

1. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel.
    First of all, I certainly don't need one so this is for GAS.
    I currently have a Ampeg SVT 410HE and Portaflex PF-350 head.
    I just recently (okay December 25th) got a Markbass TA-503 head with the preamp. (thinking of selling the ampeg head but not sure yet.)

Okay enough chatter, here's the question. I'm thinking of getting a 115 cabinet to go with the 410. Should I try and stick with Ampeg, such as the SVT 115E? or go with a markbass cab, is it better for the cab to match each other than the head. I really like the Cab I've got and have no plans (remember I've not really gotten to play it with the new head!) to ditch it.

Just some thoughts for a little banter to get me through the wait till the fat man delivers.

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Wait until you get the new head before deciding. And maybe think about another 410he so you have cabs that match.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

There best advice I can give you is to forget the 1x15. Paired with a 4x10 it's a horrible match. Please do a search on the pairing and you'll have a lot of reading to do.

If you want to add a second cabinet to your system an identical cabinet to the one you already own is the best route to follow.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

This. End thread.

I would imagine the Ampeg and MarkBass cabinets to pair poorly as well, they are voiced really differently.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel.
    Okay, okay, message received.
    However, I do want to explore this a little further. (NO not the mix cabs.) Since I don't have a wide experience in Cabs I would like some feedback.

1) would even adding a second HE add more bottom/thump? Or just more Volume? I don't really need the volume as much as I want a fuller sound.

2) Would it be better to trade/sell the PF-350 and the 410 for a different cab. Such as the HLF which I understand to have a better bottom.

3) Should I sell/trade the ampeg and look for a different cab all together. (I'd kind of like to find a 4 ohm stand alone cab.)

Yes, I've done some more searching/researching and yes I'm properly chastised about suggesting mixing cabs. :)

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you are unhappy with the sound of your cabinet adding a second will only add more of what you don't like. I feel it's time to go and audition some other boxes until you find something that makes you smile.