1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking about getting a new bass, what are your guys' opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BaitPhish, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BaitPhish

BaitPhish

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Hard to tell since you don't mention a thing about yourself, what you are looking for, or the type of music you play.

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

That ESP sure looks sexy. :D But there's more to it. To me personnally, shape and size of the neck are important. I also tend to favor two humbuckers, soundwise and as an anchor for my thumb. Last but not least: I only buy basses after having tested them thoroughly.

4. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apparently you didn't phrase you question properly for some people to at least try to give you an answer. Either way, here are my personal thoughts...

I have played a few B series basses although never the one you have mentioned specifically. To me they seem fine but not amazing. Decent construction, sound is useable, and the neck felt fine. Nothing spectacular or unique but nothing terrible either. As I am typing this I am realizing that this probably isn't the most helpful review so I'll try something different....

Negative - Fretwork on the models I played wasn't great, neck felt unfamiliar and was not the most comfortable to my hands (but in all fairness I am very very used to Fender necks). Pickups were muddy for my tastes and the EQ was voiced way to "zingy" in the high end. Hard to get a traditional or vintage style tone out of it. Design to me just screams hard rock or metal and Im not really into that aesthetic when it comes to instruments.

Positives - B string seemed well balanced and had a pretty decent tone to my ears. Pickups and EQ were definitely powerful. If you like agressive modern tones this thing had em. String spacing wasn't too wide at the nut. Body shape was comfortable to hold and play. Tuners and bridge seemed to be solid. Nice pieces of wood used.

I am biased as I am pretty set on Fender style instruments but the LTD i tried was hardly the worst bass i've ever played. Not the best either, somewhere in the middle.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    If you currently have ~$600 to spend on a new bass, I'd highly recommend picking up a used one; it's a serious buyers market right now, you'll more than likely end up with a bass that would retail for $1000-$1500.

Start with the classifieds here on TB, although Craigslist is also a viable option

7. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I don't know anything about you or about that bass. But, my answer to your question is that yes, you should buy another bass. And another. And another.

9. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini

That's like asking a bunch of car guys; what kind of car should I buy?

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Definitely try it out first- Esp basses, you either like them or you don't. Neck and feel being key issues. I have played some and to be honest with you, I didn't like the way the neck feels, but then again, that's just me.
    It looks great though, very nice looking but you need to try it out to answer the more important questions.