1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thinking about getting a Sansamp Bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ExTek, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ExTek

ExTek

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so sorry if this is the wrong section. Right now, I don't have a bass amp. I would like to invest in the Fender Rumble 350 because I can get it for 350 bucks on ebay, and also get the Sansamp Bass DI to get a tube sound. I would also use it for whenever I go live and I do DI into a PA. I have played the 350 combo and I liked it. I gigged with one once too, and it was alright. Would I get a tube sound from the 350 with the Sansamp DI? Is this a good investment? If not, what do you recommend? :bassist:
  2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

That is also my set-up and although there is a DI out on the 350, I would never play without my PBDDI. Gets me the warm tone I like (I use the tube setting), plus I can go DI whenever needed. Can't miss with the PBDDI, if you like that scooped tone, that is.
  3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I started using a Sansamp BDDI late last year and love it. It's an "always on" pedal for me. Absolutely love the sound it produces.
  4. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

I wasn't a fan of the sansamp, personally. Like another poster mentioned, it will produce a more scooped tone; usually to get its color, you boost the bass and treble each a bit. If you're looking for the sound of an ampeg svt cranked up and grindy, it models that well, but I don't feel that it added the spongy thick warmth of a real tube amp. I prefer a cleaner tone, and it just didn't do anything for me, but if you desire a Geddy-like grind, it does that.
  5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

You would be better off with the sansamp VT bass DI.
  6. ExTek

ExTek

Do you plug the Sansamp into the DI on the 350?
  7. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Don't think, do. Always on pedal for over a decade.
  8. pgolliher

pgolliher Supporting Member

I love the tone of my amp- so mine isn't always on... But when I play bigger clubs- I use my sans amp as my DI over the one on my amp. It's also a must have if you ever have to use a crappy back line amp- they can make any amp sound good! If my amp ever fails, I know I can use my bass driver through the pa and get by. It is a must have in my book.
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

No, the DI's are an output only. For your purpose of getting a different tone, treat the Sansamp like a pedal and use the 1/4" out from the Sansamp into the instrument input; ie, between your bass and your amp. He's just saying with the Sansamp you always have the option of going straight from its DI to the PA at a gig instead of using the DI on your amp (because some amps have DI's that don't sound very good).

There are many ways to approximate tube tone through a SS amp, because there are many interpretations to what that is. If I were you, I would find a Guitar Center or other store that has the Sansamp and try it out first (GC should have some Rumble's as well to play through). Or order online from a place with a return policy. With Sansamps, people tend to either love them or hate them, and you won't know which camp you are in until you try it.
  10. alec

alec

No, the output jack of the Sansamp goes into the normal input of the amp.
  11. ExTek

ExTek

I see. I've never used DI on the 350. What I might do (since I don't have access to GC) is just try to bid for one on eBay or something and if I don't like it, sell it on eBay again. Or maybe find someone on here who will sell me one! Either way, it's not much of an inconvenience to me.

Even if I can't get the tube sound I want, I hear that the pedal is pretty much a bassists' Swiss Army knife. Probably not going to use it for just one thing, as I like to play different styles.

But thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!
  12. metaball

metaball

i was very happy with my Sansamp BDDI Programmable for many years. I recently decided i wanted a different sound & sold it, but it got me thru 8 years.
  13. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

If you end up grabbing a BDDI, think of it as ungoverned and realize that the control range is HUGE and use should use it like a strong spice while cooking. Start with none and add a little bit at a time until you're hearing something you like then stop. Play it. Learn it. Attempt to add some more. If it's too much stop. There is no need to use the entire range on this thing and doing so at first will probably turn you off. It's a strong additive.

I love mine, it's buttery and good, it's permanent on my board for now, and I use it for a large number of sounds but not all. It isn't appropriate for everything, of course, and if actual "well known tube" emulation is your goal you'd probably be more into a VT series pedal (or others outside Tech 21).

BDDI is it own thing. It's a special thing. Lots of hate for it here and I think that the hate is authentic and results from its strong coloration. I'm not blaming the haters one bit. BUT...the hate also turns people away from it without giving it a chance first, I think, so take everything you read here with a grain of salt and snag one and spend a weekend with it if you're interested.

That's the only way. Welcome to TB!
  14. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

In that case I would definitely check out the Zoom MS-60b. Extremely versatile little box with many preamps and compressor models (on top of filters, synths, etc) to cover different styles. It even has a Sansamp model in it...which is by no means as good as a Sansamp and all of its functionality...but will give you an approximation of that tone among a bunch of other sounds if you are just looking for a variety of tone options.
  15. dune2k

dune2k

Blend around noon and maybe cut bass/treble some and you'll have all the mids you'd ever need...
    Still: The VT Bass DI is worth a try as well. Different tones and can be dialed in quite "flat" while still giving warmth, if that makes sense.
  16. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

See other thread active at the moment:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/sansamp-bass-driver-mid-control-content-1053497/

for the other viewpiont. My advice would be to ask yourself what the "tube sound" in your head is. I had exactly the same reason as you a few yrs back when i brought a BDDI. The sound it gave me was nothing like any of the tube sounds i had in my head: it was just v scooped with a trebbly fizz over the top end. I spent ages playing with it, gigging with it (including a couple of amp free gigs), searching online on how to get a decent tone (eg. cutting the treble/bass, reducing the blend) and still didn't get any decent sound to my eyes (BTW, i like the tones of JJ Burnel, John Wetton, Peter Hook and Geddy which the BDDi won't give you). Do you want a warm tone or a decent overdrive sound?
    This guys youtube video sounds to me v much like the tone i got out of my BDDI (listen till he kicks in the sansamp and you'll hear what i mean):
    http://youtu.be/c11QO7pCr50

BTW, in the end i sold the BDDI (one plus is that it holds its resale value!). IMO you'd get a lot more flexibility by getting a straight DI, EQ pedal and cheap OD like the Joyo American. You'd also have money left over
  17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Nah. I use the DI output when I plug in a mixer at home, when I want to use headphones. When I go through the amp, I use the 1/4" output to the corresponding amp input.
  18. pgolliher

pgolliher Supporting Member

Does the VT have the xlr output and the parallel output? I use the parallel out to my amp and the xlr out to the sound guy. As mentioned by others- there are so many tweaks you can do on this pedal- you can find a tone you like. I will not play a gig without one on my board.
  19. pudgychef

pudgychef

it is also an option to run the SansAmp into the effects return input on the 350 (or any provided amp) to bypass the amp's pre-amp and just use the tone from the BDDI. Did this for years when gigging a few times a week on provided back-line. Didn't have to worry about what was provided at the next club or bar as I ran the BDDI to the house and used the provided amp as basically a stage monitor - worked well enough

I have done this with a Rumble 350 as well and it worked just fine :bassist: actually prefer it thru the effects return over the instrument input with that amp (mind you the BDDI then needs to be always on in order to use the built in EQ) imd, imho, ymmv
  20. dune2k

dune2k

The VT Bass DI does.