Thinking about going to the gym again

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

After loosing 15 kg 2 years ago (and still at the same weight of 72 kg :hyper:), I wanna go to the gym again after a long time. I want to do something about my torso, especially my belly. Still a lot of fat that I wanna get rid of. Also my arms is something I want to train : more muscles.

Anybody here on TB that goes to a gym and can tell me which exercises are very good to decrease belly fat and increase arm muscles?

Plus, how's it going with things like food and such? If I burn a lot of calories, I think I need to start drinking shakes and such.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

I just made it back to the gym today for the first time in years. It felt great. My old job kept me very fit, but now I need to get my mojo back.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

You can't really target any particular fat you want to lose.

TB members I've seen discussing this topic prefer compound lifts. To get a good starting program look into rippletoe's starting strength.

For the eating side, if you want to get muscle mass it's ideal to have a good amount of protein and a little more caloric intake than outtake. Which makes gaining muscle fast and losing weight two things that don't really go along. I may be wrong. Some others with more knowledge will chime in.

Have fun!
  4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i go to the gym to cruise. :hyper:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

You can't target fat loss, and unfortunately belly fat is the LAST thing a person tends to lose. Compound lifts are great. If you want big arms then you definitely don't want to skip tricep exercises as they'll give you the most bulk. As always, however, your diet is probably more important than your workout routine. If you're not getting enough protein in your diet then it doesn't matter how much you work out because you simply won't see results.
  7. Thomas Kievit

Hmm.. I was afraid for that, when it comes to my belly. A collegue of mine lost 70 kg (!) in just 14 months, which is pretty fast in my opion. He also gained arm muscles a lot and when he showed his belly, it was as flat as a pancake. No flabbering skin or something, just as straight as it can be.

He now trains 3 or 4 times per week, about 2 hours each time. I've got the time as well, since I only work during the evening, that's no problem for me.

But if I had to choose between my belly or my arms, I would go for my belly first!
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Can't recommend this enough.
  9. Atoz

Atoz

Wait until February to start going to the gym. All the people who made non-serious New Year's resolutions will be gone by then, and you won't have to wait for weights or a treadmill.
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

If you're serious about losing fat then you really should pick up a high-intensity weightlifting routine. Muscle mass helps the body burn calories and fat more efficiently, so neglecting to exercise your muscles will only make it that much harder to burn off fat. In addition, adding on muscle mass can help you seem slimmer than you really are, so I can't recommend it enough. You'll want to exercise more than just your arms, though. Otherwise you'll be one of those guys who's shaped like an upside down triangle because you'll have a big upper body on top of a pair of chicken legs. It looks funny as heck and it's super bad on your joints.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

This too!
  12. Thomas Kievit

Cool, thanks for the input! :D