1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking about switching to QSC K12 and KW181 sub

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

So, the band is thinking about getting rid of our Yamaha power amp, Crown power amp, 2 Yamaha club 2x15 speakers and 2 EV T-18 subs and switching out for 2 K12 and a KW181 sub. Frankly everyone is tired of lugging all that gear and weight. Local music store is swearing by this new setup. We're all getting older and load ins and outs are getting to be a pain. We're a wedding/corporate band that usually performs for 50-300 people. We don't use amps on stage everything goes thru the mixer. Some use IEM and others monitors.
    So looking for opinions from those who have made the switch. Thanks for the help

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It's a great sounding rig for sure. I use K12s for mains and monitors. Be sure you get the carry bags for them too as the plastic enclosures scratch pretty easily.

3. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

We just recently upgraded from a Yamaha system similar to yours. We do classic and newer rock covers, similar audience sizes for charitable events. Two guitars, keys, bass, kit, lead singer, and 3 backup singers, all miked.

I went out to hear local bands using the K system. I really found the KW181 underwhelming. It just doesn't seem to focus the low end like other subs. I'm a real fan of QSC power amps - I own several - so I was disappointed.

We ended up going with Yorkville NXS55P's and an NX720S sub. Great sounding system, plenty loud, and built like a tank. It's cheaper than the QSC stuff, and the 55's have a pretty nice bottom end if you want to leave the sub at home for a really small gig. (For use with the sub I hit the rolloff button or it gets a bit crazy!)

Check them out!

4. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Here's what we currently run into our system now:

Guitar
    Bass
    Keys
    Drums
    4 vocals
    no stage amps

Also I should add if we do switch, economics will only allow us to purchase 1 KW181 for the time being.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

I made the switch from Yammie passive 15s to the K12 with a KSub, all run by a Mackie DL1608 which replaced a 16U tilt top rack. Worth every penny. You should be fine with one sub for now.

7. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

I agree with the above post I have been using yorkville rigs for years. I have the ls700p 2x10 powered subs and they rock.

8. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Two k12s on tilt and a 181 is a loud clean sounding system, but we had no chance to compare it to anything else here in hong long. Ev, yorkville etc are not readily available here , or I would have been running around testing all sorts of gear. If you have the chance you need to demo this kit as there's no absolute best buy. I think the kw181 is a fantastic sounding sub, but to someone else it"lacks focus".

9. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass Supporting Member

I have RCF Art312 tops, which I like pretty well, but I really wanted to give my opinion about the KW181. I originally purchased the JBL PRX168XLF. This was supposed to be the good one of the two PRX models. It had zero definition, lacked volume, and were quite awkward to handle. I returned them, and bought the 181's, and they were much better right out of the box, but to really make them shine, I did work with my EQ over several gigs to get the sound I was looking for.

Prior to the 181's, I had passive subs & amps. For the size, the 181's are quite good.

10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I LOVE the K12 KW181 combination!

11. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

We us two K12s as our mains and a Yorkville LS801P sub. The k12s sound fantastic and the sub is plenty powerful. In fact, it's probably more sub than our group needs and we would have been fine with the QSC sub. We run kick, snare, bass, 2 guitars, keys, and three vocalist through the system. In all seriousness, you won't go wrong with the QSC powered speakers.

12. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. I placed the order today for the k12s and the kw181 sub. The band is pretty stoked about it

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

:D

14. Jerry Ziarko

A little tip for you. You should always check the gain knob on the sub or the K12's for that matter before firing up. For some reason, they move fairly easy. A little bump up from normal on that sub, and the low end can get away from you. You'll drive yourself crazy thinking the eq is all wrong etc., when all that is wrong is the sub is turned up too high. We use 2 K181's and keep them both set at the 9:00 position. (K12's at 2:00) That way, the output level is easily repeatable. Of course you may find a different level works for you, but try to keep them consistent from venue to venue using the console to adjust output gain. Sometimes in a bigger room, just the slightest bump of the sub does the trick! ;) In larger rooms we also use a pair of KW153's. All I can say is, what an amazing sound in a very manageable pkg

15. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Thanks for the tip! I usually just set powered speakers at unity and run it from the faders depending on need. I run subs thru the AUX on my AH MixWiz board and will probably continue to do so with the KW181. I am so looking forward to picking these up sometime this week!

16. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Well played our first gig with the new QSC K12s,KW181 sub

All I can say is wow. Load in was a breeze. Once set up and a little playing with them I was able to dial in a great mix for band at gig. We did the show as a 3 piece cuz keys player was sick. The band was set impressed with the one KW181.
    Can't believe we didn't do this years ago.

17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

We've been using that system for a year now except we have the 2x12 sub. Our guitar player bought four of the 12's and one sub. We usually use two for the monitors, although if it's outside, or a really big venue, all 4 go into the PA. I have no complaints yet. His old system consisted of a pair of 300 watt Crate PA heads, and two huge Crate cabinets with a 15, a 10 and a tweeter horn. We usually used my PA, which is a pair of compact 15 subs, and four 10" and tweeter compact cabinets, which served us fine (I built the cabinets years ago.) I did quit using my favorite mic, an EV condenser mike, as it sizzles too much with the QSC's, and I can't EQ it out. The QSC is a great system. Mor money than I could or would spend on a PA.

18. Jerry Ziarko

:cool: :D