Thinking about Trading My MTD 535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistForJesus, Dec 12, 2012.

1. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Want opinions...I'm extremely fortunate to own a MTD 535. Walnut Top/Ash Body/Ash Neck/Birdseye Maple. I saved for years to buy this instrument as it was my dream bass. However, I recently heard a Sadowsky UV70. Never looked twice at trading my MTD due to it being the only boutique guitar I will ever own and being very satisfied with the tone but that Sadowsky has me looking at YouTube all day. Would you guys considered this a good trade if I pulled the trigger or am I out of my mind even considering parting from my MTD?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

IMHO, trading a MTD for a Metro would not be a good deal on your end.

That being said, trading your MTD for a used USA Sadowsky would be equitable. I used to have a MTD 535 (Avodire body, flamed redwood top, wenge/wenge neck) and, value-wise, I feel that it was equivalent to my Sadowsky NYC jj-5 I have now (in my avatar). Of course, the sound is completely different but that is a personal preference and I don't think one is "better" than the other.

Dan K.

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    save to get yourself a Sadowski. You'll have two different killer basses in the end. I personally would not let go of an MTD 535 if I had one.

4. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

An MTD is highly sought after since they are so limited in production, its equivilent to the Value of a NYC Sadowsky, dont trade down. Im sure you can get top dollar for your MTD here or on ebay, if you have patience im sure you can find someone to straight trade your MTD for a NYC Sadowsky.

MTD's are great and i love a modern Bass but the older i get the more i wanted a Fender style insturment, i never sold my Warwick Thumb 5 just becausae its the finest 5 string ive ever played but i havnt played it with a band in years because of my Fender style Basses. If you can afford it, keep both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    If you must, sell the MTD outright and use some of the money to get the Sadowsky. I wouldn't trade for it. Sadowskys are nice but I wouldn't put them in the same league, IMO of course!

7. willsellout

willsellout

I'd take a Sadowsky over an MTD all day long. But I found the MTD's to be underwhelming. I traded mine a few years back.

8. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Keep the MTD, buy a used Sadowsky Metro. Or, in my case, buy two. :)

9. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Thanks guys. I am not a position to keep and buy an additional instrument but sounds like I might regret trading or selling my MTD. I'm going to stick with it and keep playing the Powerball. ;)

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a really nice MTD for a minute.
    It was totally not my sound, though it was a fine bass.

A Sadowsky Metro would be a trade down
    A Sadowsky NYC would be more like an even trade.

If the UV70 is more your sound, no reason not to make the move.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    MTD for Metro UV70 + cash would be the deal to make.

12. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Not quite the same level, but I had an MTD Kingston Heir 5. Really well built, I thought it sounded okay, I was fairly happy. Then I picked up a Squier P Special on a whim and found a sound that was so much better for my tastes. I sold the MTD. You could say I was trading down but I found something that sounded better to me than the more expensive bass.

(Okay, not really trading down - I've reinvested the proceeds into a custom build incorporating the sound of the Squier and the feel and extra string of the the MTD.)

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Some great responses here. I look at it this way, if you do trade down, are you going to regret it? I recently traded down for a bass and I am glad I did. Yes, I did lose money on the deal, but I am still using the newly acquired bass and love playing it.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

There's no right and wrong here, your decision entirely, but I've owned both so I'll share my opinions.

As noted, MTD 535 would be equivalent to Sadowsky NYC.

The MTD 535 I owned was gorgeous: spalt myrtle over tulipwood (prettiest cherry burst I've ever seen front and back), with all wenge neck. It was also extremely light. Some say that the 535 sounds too modern, but I disagree: sure, 35" scale gives a slightly modern timbre, but my 535 sounded just fine for classic Motown. The asymmetrical neck profile is the most comfortable I've ever played -- including Sadowsky.

I sold the 535 shortly after I ordered one of the newly-available (in 2004) Sadowsky NYC vintage 5-string P-basses. I now own three Sadowsky NYC P5-basses, although one has an MM pickup instead of the P pickup.

The main reasons I switched:
    I wanted the Fender look but with supreme quality fit and finish
    I wanted modern P-bass tone (the 535 worked best as J-style)

Yes, the 535 neck was the most comfortable I've ever played. Sadowsky does not offer an asymmetrical neck profile, but their basses have the most comfortable symmetrical profiles IMO, and the difference isn't enough for me to worry about. Also, Sadowskys have even response from every note: perhaps I was unlucky, but my 535 had a slight but noticeable dead spot. Finally, my 535 was light, but my chambered alder Sadowskys are almost as light, and I've played swamp ash Sadowskys that were as light or maybe lighter than my old 535.

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

For me, on looks, tone, and ergonomics, the sadowsky wins. With a small light body and 35" scale, 1st fret on a 535 can feel very far away. And the tone tries to take over the mix instead of sitting in it. All that woody complexity can drive a sound guy crazy. My only caution on the UV70 was that I thought it had a quiet A string due to the fingerboard radius. For me the standard sadowsky J4 and J5 are very hard to beat. Metros are just as good as NYCs if they have the options you want.

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I guess I like more modern sounding basses which is why I suggested keeping the 535. With more traditional sounding basses, especially out in the house you sound like every other bass player. IMO that is 'boom'. I already have two jazz basses, so my old school sound needs are satisfied. When I was playing in rock groups I played Fender P's and gibsons. Larry Graham changed that for me when I heard the song called hair. I got rid of my P-Bass and had to have a Jazz. Never looked back. Jamerson's sound was his. Why do I want to sound like him? I don't. However if I sounded like Larry Graham I would just blush all over the place. It's your bass so you can do whatever you want. Maybe Sadowski is your sound. A modern jazz sounding funk machine and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

17. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Sadowskys are cool. I just bought one and sending back and bought an mtd 535 again. I have tried 3 sadowskys. I prefer a good fender custom shop 64 and a mtd 535 for the ultimate arsenal. The 64 cs I have is an exceptional one made in 2001. It just kills for build quality balance at 8.4 lbs and tone. Matches the sadowsky for sure in quality. Some custom shops are dogs however.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    At a very high level, a 535 is worth $2800-3500, a Metro is worth $1600-2100 and a NYC is $2000-3500

I would not trade a 535 for a Metro unless there was +-$1000 coming to me with the Metro.

I have had 2 Metros and a NYC and my MTD 535 is a much better sounding, looking and playing bass than any of the Sadowskys.

Just IMO of course.

19. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Thank you all for your comments. When I purchased my MTD, I wanted an instrument with superb slap tone and finger style tone that had that growly burp as many referenced. Because I was playing more funk, Latin, and gospel stuff that is why I went with a MTD. I was so intrigued with Andrew Gouche's sound that I even bought the Epifani rig he used. MTD basses and Epifani amps are peanut butter and jelly together for that tone. Well, over the years church music started trending more to rock stuff and I noticed the MTD getting lost in the mix. So my interest in a Sadowsky is purely from TalkBass and other bass forum discussions regarding bass manufactures for rock tone. However, because I have children now, I will have to wait until they graduate from college to purchase a second bass of that caliber. I can't pull the trigger in letting go of my MTD. BTW, my youngest is 5 months old. :D

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

IMHO Tobias is such a beauty, another Fender clone meh.
    Keep the MTD, save up and buy a Sadowsky metro.
    You'll have the best of both.
    I really like Sadowsky's but why won't custom builders
    come up with their own design, just my beef.

21. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Two reasons, generally speaking:
    1) it's what the majority of buyers want
    2) they feel there was enough room for improvement to make it significantly better, in their own way.

While most Sadowsky have strong Fender styling cues, they certainly don't sound like one. IMO, IME, YMMV, etc.

Also: unless you want "fancy wood," or uber light weight, there is really no reason go go Sadowsky NYC.
    The Metros are the same quality, and roughly speaking, in the 9lb range; which suits me fine.

Lastly, you could look at a Valenti....