1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thinking aloud - Can a MIM Jazz body fit a P pickup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kohntarkosz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Hello all,

I've seen pictures of parted-out MIM Jazz basses. The neck pickup route appears to be wider than a standard J pickup. However, I cannot find out if a P pickup fits in there without issue. Presumably all you need is a custom pickguard if the route is big enough...

Thanks in advance!
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

It's not quite big enough, at least in an MIM body, but it's very close. Takes just a small amount of trimming to get a P pup in the neck spot of an MIM j.
  3. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Thanks for the reply. I'm not up for 'trimming' a new MIM bass. I think the next best bet is to stick in a Dimarzio Model J pickup...
  4. Bobster

Bobster

How about a used MiM Jazz ;-)
  5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. or, pick up a Squier Affinity body for cheap .. they are alder
  6. fhm555

I tried the model J set first. It brought the thunder no doubt, but it didn't sound like a P bass. It sounded like a jacked up jazz bass with a ton of low range, but it didn't sound like a P. If you are going to stick to the straight pup config, try the Area J pups. They'll give you a more well rounded, classic J sound than the model J's. Oh and compared to the stock MIM pups, they will deliver more volume and no single coil hum.

If you want to go the P pup in the neck route, take it to your friendly neighborhood tech and get them to do it for you. My guy had a template and router, took him all of 10 minutes start to finish and he charged me a whopping $15.00.

I bought a J pick guard from Warmoth with a P cutout and used that to get the position just right before I took it to the guitar doctor.
  7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Getting Warmoth stuff into the UK is an exercise in futility, sadly. The cheapest shipping option is $47, onto a $32 pickguard. Then the helpful UK Border Agency will want 20% of the value as well has a handling fee....

Even friendly backyard luthiers are impossible to find here.
  8. fhm555

Well, that sucks.
  9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Tell me about it! This forum makes me want to move to the States some times. :ninja:
  10. stoo

stoo

Depends where in the UK you are. If you're anywhere near Salisbury, Wilts then I'd happily recommend Nick Marchant - http://www.guitarrepairsuk.com/index.htm

Instead of Warmoth - try ebay for pickguards for a Blacktop Jazz or Reggie Hamilton sig or Vintage Hot Rod 70s Jazz - maybe even a Mark Hoppus sig, although they've got the coils reversed and the PG extends to also replace the bellplate, and only has 2 holes for a single pot config

Here's one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E01-3-Ply...041?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4ac8f48951