1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thinking of a drastic change

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I put my current 3 piece hard rock band together from scratch 3 years ago. We have had moderate success and I have managed to acquire a pretty good amount of pro sound gear. It seems my drummer, who's practice studio we play in, has decided to call it quits. Shoulder surgeries and age has convinced him that gigging is no longer something he wants to do. My plan is to obviously find another drummer and another place to rehearse, but considering that may take a while I have answered an ad for a hard hitting bass player for a southern/classic rock band. These guys are very near me, very near my age and appear to have a lot in common with me socially. I am really just looking for a way to keep playing while I get my band right again, but if I can talk them into doing some crap like Hank III or mixing hardcore with old country, it seems like it could be fun. At a minimum I see no reason why I shouldn't fill in for them so they can keep gigging until they find the right bass player.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Go for it! Change is good. If nothing else you will get to play some stuff you otherwise would not have. Ad calls for hard hitting bass player. So go over there and drop the hammer. Best of luck with it.

Another potential upside is that you probably won't have to do as much logistical crap. Just show up and rock!
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I'm thinking it could be logistically very cool, like you say. I have never played country or really even been all that into it, but it seems like it could be alright, especially if these cats are down with lacing it with hard rock riffs and expletives.
  4. Fiset

Fiset Previously A Strohman Supporting Member

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I've been in similar situations and have always enjoyed the new challenge. If for no other reason, gigging with new players not only helps keep my chops up but also brings back some of the excitement and adrenalin that goes away in my long term projects.
  5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Sounds like fun, but "hard hitting" southern rock / classic rock is not country - not even close!

On the other hand you might see if they'll try on some Outlaw Country for size.....
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Well, the video they posted is a harder version of Folsum Prison. The ad didn't say they were southern rock or classic rock, I drew that conclusion myself based on their FB page.

And yeah, I won't be interested I don't think if it's straight up country/southern rock. Outlaw country "Sounds" about right. Have to wait and see I guess.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Wow bummer, I’m sorry to read your losing your drummer, and I hope you find a new drummer soon.

PS: Just a thought so you don’t lose your guitarist too - maybe see if you can barrow the drummer from the southern/classic rock band and keep gigging as a trio too.

Anyway, good luck.
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Almost no chance at all of losing my guitarist. The fact is he is what he is largely because of me. He is one of my best friends and would follow me straight to hell, I have no doubt about that. I do already have another drummer I am looking at. He knows us and has seen us many times. I gave him a set list and he is working on the stuff right now and we will go and see what's up in about a week.

On the other front, I talked to the band leader from this other outfit and it seems they do a mix of originals and covers. Some strange ones too. Like a redneck version of Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant. He seemed extremely interested when I started showing him clips of Assjack and Hank III.

I'm not sure how much extra time I can devote to 2 bands, but at least with MY band there really isn't any work I have to do. It may all work out.:)
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

As long as the other band does not require spandex or poofster do's, sounds like a win/win.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Heck these days there is a thin line between country and hard rock. The guys who play with Jason Aldean use Mesa Triplc Recs and the opening riffs of some of his stuff sounds like you stumbles onto a new rock station. Until he opens his mouth most of his stuff is a rock song.

Check out this one about 23 seconds into the song.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Yeah, a lot of the local country guys are using that stuff these days too. I absolutely hate new country (i.e. anything you would ever hear on a country radio station). To be honest, even ol' Sr. and the man in black were not my preferred genre, but something about III and whatever you call what he is doing has really got me excited.
  12. pklima

pklima

Really - the main difference is that country is a hell of a lot more popular, especially with young women.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

In Poland? Sure ain't true here. At least not commercially.
  14. BAce

BAce

And again at 2:22. Nice riffing, even for a guitar.
  15. fhm555

When III is in full blown country mode, he sounds so much like his gramps it's uncanny. Then he jumps to full blown thrash.

When he's mining that high lonesome vein it sounds like the stuff I grew up listening to because that's what my dad liked best, that not quite off the mountain hillbilly sound.

Take that and electrify it and step it up a bit and you've got some seriously fun music IMO. I'd love to find a group that wanted to do that kind of stuff.
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Apparently these guys want to do it because they want me to come over Wednesday night and jam. I showed them some video of my band and explained to them what I have been doing for the last 10 years and that I really ain't into country, need work on my fingerstyle after years of pick only and have very little experience successfully dialing a bass with flats in a band mix that made me happy. I sent him links to Assjack and Hank III and said I would be interested in this.

I figure I'll bring my P with chromes and just plug into their system the first time. See what happens. Hope my fingerstyle don't suck too bad these days. :)
  17. modulusman

modulusman

Be sure to wear a cowboy hat.:D
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I was actually thinking of a Black Flag T-shirt and skate shoes. lol

If I actually gig with these cats I may just get another mohawk.
  19. fhm555

Don't overthink it. Unless it's straight up old school country, rounds will sound just fine. Look up some Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper, Jason & The Scorchers, Rubber Rodeo, Southern Culture on the Skids, etc., to get a good feel for some serious country cut with a little rock and roll, or maybe it's r&r cut with a little country.

Outside a traditional country band with a pedal steel, fiddle, etc., this would be my next favorite thing to play.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. Floyd Eye,

I'm kind of excited for you. It's good to try something new and stretch yourself. I'll agree that a lot of the "modern" country is pretty awful but there is still a lot of good music coming out of Nashville, Austin, Bakersfield and all points in between. It takes a certain attitude and a knack to play it right, to capture the feel and the mood. Plus it's really fun. And yes, it's pretty popular with the lovely ladies, at least around here. (Check out my CAS thread posts.) [​IMG]

The thing about "country" music is that it's such a broad spectrum of music these days. Country fans like Southern rock, swing jazz, calypso, rockabilly, 50's to 80's rock and roll, etc, and "country" music can contain all of those styles and more (i.e. "farm jazz" and "cow thrash"). You will be challenged. You will have fun. I wish you good luck in your new endeavor. Break a leg!!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff