1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking of building a Warmoth bass? Ask here.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Since I get a lot of similar questions about building Warmoth basses I thought I'd start this thread, perhaps other builders will contribute as well. I don't have all the answers, but Talkbass is rich with contributors who have decades of experience.

This could cover general questions like:

Will a Warmoth Deluxe V neck fit on my 2008 Fender American Standard?

If this thread catches on perhaps the mods will sticky it.

I would also hope that representatives at Warmoth might also contribute. Warmoth will tell you that their answers to questions are on their website, and they are. However, I still think that this thread would still be helpful.

I have run into the rare situation where the sales staff at Warmoth did not have an immediate answer to questions that I posed for them, or, I ran into conflicting information. This can happen in any organization.

(This is not to be critical of Warmoth staff, overall my experience continues to be very positive doing business with them)

I believe that it is the responsibility of the buyer/builder to make informed choices when purchasing anything for their project.

This thread is for that purpose only.

It is not to flame at Warmoth, it's staff, or people who build and play their products. I believe Warmoth is a fine American company long established on the industry who make an excellent product.

There are other Warmoth threads specifically for proud owners and builders to show of their work. This thread hopefully will stay on track by addressing specific questions relating to product choices, assembly and other product info pertaining to a finished Warmoth guitar or bass.

maestrovert likes this.
  2. Doug Parent

A recent question I got today which I will post to get things rolling:

"they told me that I need a 17.5mm bridge but I think 18mm could work fine....dou you think that is ok 18mm in the warmoth deluxe neck?

also which pickups will fit fine with 18mm? "

3. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

What's your opinion on USACG necks with "fall away"?

4. Doug Parent

Warmoth Deluxe V bass work well with 18mm spacing.
    Matter of fact, the first few Deluxe V Jazz basses I built had 18mm bridges as part of the design concept.

It was not until recently when I ordered a Deluxe V body with the string through option did I learn that their CNC machine is programmed for either 17.5 mm or 19mm but NOT 18mm.

I mentioned to the Warmoth sales staff at the time that Fender's American Deluxe V format is 18mm spacing at the bridge, and why didn't they offer that option when ordering a string through body if they were selling a bass that was based on the Fender American Deluxe?

The answer was "our Deluxe V bodies are 17.5mm"

So there you go and thats what they offer. If you want Warmoth to route for a string through bridge, those are your options currently.

If you want to install an 18mm bridge, say, a Hipshot A style, Warmoth will not pre-drill just a center hole to help you get started.

Their CNC machine only knows how to do 17.5 or 19mm and it will drill all three mounting holes, which means you will have to drill and glue some dowels to plug the outer two mounting holes that are out of position for a 18mm bridge, leaving the center hole available as your reference point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. modulusan

modulusan Supporting Member

that was me...:p
    thanks for start the thread doug.
    I want start a warmoth deluxe 5 project and the warmoth stuff looks fine for me.
    I would like hear experiences from other tbers who made deluxe basses to clarify my cuestions.
    thanks

7. modulusan

thanks doug....that was the cuestion I sent they yesterday cause I want put a 18mm A hipshot bridge...so i think I cant order the string through holes from they.
    also i dont know why they dont offer a standard C shape on the deluxe necks....
    the standars 5 neck wont fit into the deluxe 5 body?

8. Doug Parent

The pickup choices for a 18mm spacing that I researched were compatible with Fender's American Deluxe V basses.

This specification is on Warmoths website.

4" for the neck and 4 1/8" for the bridge pickup.

If other TB'ers want to pitch in on the answer to this question, have at it.

What I know is:

Bartolini, Nordstrand, Seymour Duncan, make a pickup to fit a Fender spec'd instrument. I believe EMG is in the design phase and will offer something in the near future.

Possibly Delano also makes a 18mm spacing pickup.
    I'm sure I left someone out here, but my time today is limited.

9. Doug Parent

No string through option that is 18mm.

(My hope is that Warmoth sales staff will comment on any changes they make on this topic. From what I understand from Spike @ Warmoth, there will be changes in the programming of their CNC machines and new options will be available as a result)

10. Doug Parent

Standard V neck is 20 frets. American Deluxe/Warmoth Deluxe V is a 22 fret neck.

The Standard J bass is not compatible with the latter.

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

How much finish work is involved in building a warmoth bass? Or can you just bolt them together?

12. Doug Parent

They offer an asymmetrical neck shape for the Warmoth Deluxe V neck.

Personally, I don't dig it and contrary to their warnings I reshape every Warmoth neck I buy into a C shape....

Matter of fact I was at Bass San Diego yesterday with one of my Warmoth basses and the consensus was that my bass felt and played better than a particular F Bass, Fodera and Dingwall that were hanging on the wall.

13. Doug Parent

I have no experience with their products, sorry not qualified to comment.

14. modulusan

that says a lot for me....I want reshape a little the neck back to...and acomodate to my hands/feel.

to prevent the pickups issue Im thinking order a set of barts X5 narrow soapbars with a obp1 with passive tone control.

15. Doug Parent

I finish maple necks. Wenge, rosewood, Goncalo, bubinga, etc not really necessary I think. Consult with Warmoth to be sure.

Ash and alder bodies, need finish. The exotic hardwood bodies could use at least an oil finish perhaps.

This is not my area of expertise. I use Marty Bell in San Diego to do all my finish work. His work is well known throughout the industry and I recommend him highly.

Rob with the Arizona Bass Company has a wonderful technique for achieving a "worn in" oil finish on necks.

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Let me clarify what I meant. I don't mean finish as in the finish on the neck and body. I'm asking if I could order a finished body and a finished neck and just bolt it together and put the parts on and it set up fine and play well or is there some last minute magic that needs to go into a build?

17. Doug Parent

In a word, patience.

The magic and the "devil" is in the details of the assembly.

I've seen some guys Warmoth builds where the screws that hold the pick guard are all askew, or holes are stripped out, bridges mounted incorrectly, Pickups at wrong height or string spacing out of whack with pickup pole pieces. So, really, it depends on what you think "just bolting it together" means.

If you know how a well conceived bass is designed from inception to final assembly, and you have patience, you can get a good result. Example below, I came up with a way to drill accurate holes without using a drill press.

Honestly, by the 4th bass I built I started to get my act together. I have no formal training but I have been tearing apart, modifying and re-assembling basses since 1972, so it all comes together.

Don't throw it together. Do each assembly phase correctly, the first time.

Attached Files:

18. modulusan

sorry but i dont understand the picture....

19. modulusan

for that reason I want order a body without pickups routing. I want make it and mount the bridge myself

20. landry.bass

landry.bass

I've definitely thought about building a warmoth bass before, but the only problem is that I wouldn't know where to start.

I think it would be great to have some kind of strep by step guide to aid in their construction. I'd just be terrified to buy all the parts and then screw it up, our just not get anything done because I don't know how.

21. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
    I have built two (and I'm starting my third) Warmoth Basses. The 1st I had assembled and set up by Jim Crawford of San Diego. The 2nd I assembled but had the electronics installed and then set up by Mark at Wild West Guitars. This 3rd on I'll have the bridge pickup routed, finished and assembled at Moze Guitars in La Mesa.

I can do all the assembly but I like to have a pro install the electronics and do the final set up. I find it a small price to have a great sounding and playing Bass.

My G5 and my "Ray" build.

Attached Files: