1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thinking of buying a delay...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spiffmeister, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs Gold Supporting Member

Hiya!

I've been looking at some delay pedals, and it seems like there's a lot of stuff around for a lot of different prices.

I want it to be compact, have tap tempo, be true bypass and be able to do subtle ànd crazy effects, preferably under 200euros, if less, all the better.

I've been looking at the TC Electronic Flashback and the Digitech Hardwire DL8.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they at all good for bass guitar? Any other recommendations?
  2. spoonfulofshred

spoonfulofshred

I have the TCE Flashback. Great pedal! It gets a lot of use in my set. Tons of settings plus the Toneprint thing is pretty cool (download an app for your phone and set your pedal).

I like how the tap tempo is actually done by tapping on the strings. I always found foot tapping not as accurate as I'd like (by my own incompetence, I know) so to be to hold the button down and actually play the riff on muted strings gets it exactly the tempo I'm looking for is great.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

Had a Flashback but in my case, I very much missed tap tempo. Strum tempo proved to be very unusable for a quick tempo change.
    Replaced it with TC Repeater (it's not true bypass but the buffer is great) and couldn't be more happy.
    Another good option (IMO) is Boss DD7, grab a small external tap tempo and you're set.
  4. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    +1 for the TC Nova Repeater. It's having price drops all over the place, too.
  5. Spiffmeister

The TC Nova Repeater isn't exactly what I call compact though :) But I'll look into it, I can make concessions on size, functionality is primary.

How about the Digitech Hardline DL8? It gets good reviews, and I like the looks, it's got a retro vibe in my eyes :)
  6. necropain

necropain

all i have to say is zoom ms-70CDR
  7. Spiffmeister

Wow, i can get it for 100euros... Where's the catch?
  8. Stingray317

Stingray317

I used to use the mxr carbon copy but switched to te tc flashback...carbon copy was cool but the options on the flashback are great and it sounds awesome on bass
  9. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

It's about as small as you can get with tap tempo switch.

DL8 sounds nice enough, but the hold tap tempo is as annoying feature as the rest of those compact digital delays have. If you don't mind holding the pedal switch for 3 seconds before tapping tempo, then by all means, it will work just fine.
  10. Spiffmeister

Hm, good point.

How about the Zoom MS-70CDR? I haven't had time to check out reviews yet, but it seems promising. Compact, multifunctional, loads of options... Maybe it's too multifunctional? Maybe a pedal specifically for delay is better?
  11. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

I have also been slacking on the purchase of a delay.......research has me with a strong lean towards the TC Nova Repeater. Seems to be great sounding with just enough bonus features to do the job and then some
  12. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

+1!
    Nothing as good as rythmic use of a delay pedal to realise your band is speeding up or slowing down. Tap tempo is great for small corrections mid-song, which is impossible with the otherwise nice strum tempo. Don't write me of as an amateur (which of course I am), as I've seen even Marcus Miller do it live.

By the way, the Repeater has both tap tempo and strum tempo, so you can use any whenever you feel like! And it's very simple and user-friendly: tap for tap tempo or hold for strumming, no settings need to be changed or anything.
  13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Oddly enough, i own the Nova Repeater but i'm borrowing a Flashback to see if i like it better. I'll stop back by to let you know which i choose, and for how much i'd sell the Repeater. ;)
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Hmmm tap tempo, I just got a cheapo Mooer Reacho, no such frills. So far I haven't used it on a gig but put it in time for a couple of different grooves my "jam jazz" band plays, lubbly jubbly results! Easy enough to set the rate knob and go.

I'm thinking of taping a nudge pointer to the rate knob. Would that work for an inspired moment of adding delay and tempo was all wrong? A lot of our setlist tunes come from live jams which are good enough to remember.
  15. Jensby design

Jensby design

"tHINKING :oops: whoa , that was weird :oops: . . .cough cough
    ehem
    "Thinking of buying a delay..."
    whywhywhywhywhy:crying:whywhywhywhywhywhywhy :crying:
    buy 3 envelope filters instead:crying:
    I don't like delay...on bass delay...is the devil

Downunderwonder

I'm no kid, and I love D'd'd'd'lay!
  17. IncX

IncX

i never got to try it, but i do own a zoom G3 ... and that thing has a lot of tone suck.

-*-

as for me, i have a catalinbread echorec coming my way ... its a multiple head tape delay, not quite like the normal/average delay. i find it hard to use normal delays on bass.

i got turned on to multiple head tape delays because i used to own a strymon el capistan, and i dont use anything else there on bass but the multiple head mode.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

What's special about the multiple head mode that makes it more usable?
  19. IncX

IncX

you can use it like you would a phaser or a chorus ... some sort of modulation. here's a clip (not me):

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I have and use the DL8 and love it. There are better delays out there but for the money, you can't beat it IMO. It is GREAT sounding unit. I actually took it over the EQD disaster transport. The EQD was a tad to little for me right now, it sounded wonderful but it didn't do all I wanted it to. The DL8 is great because it has so many different delay types on it and they all sound superb. If you can find one check out the old DOD digital delay, the DFX9 I believe it's called. That's my other delay. It's digital but almost sounds analogue to my ears. And you can do some crazy oscillating sweeps with the speed knob. As far as the TC is concerned I've never used one but hear great things about it. I plan on getting one myself someday.