1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking of buying SVT IV Pro. Solid State/tube preamp VS tube only

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sivarTTravis, Nov 18, 2012.

1. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

Found a Svt 4 pro head on cl for 300. going to go play it today. Probably going to buy it honestly, but wanted some feedback. Dont see them used to often hopefully because not many want to sell them.

Was wondering if this is a good deal for the head in good working condition. comes with a hard rack (no front).

I had a Ampeg V4bh full tubed head running trough a svt 4-10 that i loved. I sold the head alone a few yeas ago on ebay for 375.

How do you guys feel about the solid state tube mix VS. a tube only head

thanks for sharing
    _Travis

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Well, it's not the same thing, but you got a good deal. Honestly, although there are a few hybrid bass amps that can get close to the all-tube tone, the 4Pro isn't one of them, but it's a massive sounding amp just the same.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It's also a lot lighter than a full tube amp. :)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Every time I plug into a 4 Pro, I like it more and more. Never was a fan of big iron solid state or hybrid, but it does something no other type of amp can do, and the way the 4 Pro does it is superb IMHO. And especially for 3 bills!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The band I was in about 10 years ago had a deal with Ampeg. I had an SVT 4Pro and didn't like it. The amp lacked clarity and seemed underpowered. I ran it through several different Ampeg cabs including an SVT 810, 410HLF with a 210HE, two 410HE cabs and still had trouble hearing myself. I sent the head back to Ampeg and they sent me another one. I had the same problem. I sent the 4Pro back and got an SVT Classic. That was much better. I now own an SVT 6Pro that I love. I run it through 2 SVT 410HE cabs. I also own an early 1970s SVT head and 810 cab. That sounds great.

$300 for a 4Pro is a good deal. If you buy it and don't like, I'm sure you could sell it for more than you paid or at the very least, the same price.

7. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    You name the amp, I've probably owned it. I gig 3 times per week and the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro has been my choice for 15 years. At 42 pounds it comes closest to an all tube sound you'll find. I played an SVT all tube for about 5 years 7 nights a week, so I have a pretty good knowledge of how all tube behaves.

$300 is the biggest no brainer out there! Do it!!!!

8. jphilauren

jphilauren

Good deal because of price only. Have to bridge for max power , nothing special for sound etc. sold mine after a few months , never regretted selling it!

9. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

At $300 you can just buy it to see if you like it for yourself. If you don't like it, you can sell it and get your cash back out of it, assuming everything works, of course.

10. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

i figured the price was about as good as i would ever get. I think it sounds good. at least got that growl i like. going to have to play with it to really get a feel for it. just need to find an awesome deal on a cab (LA area)

The dude i bought it from was supper awesome so big thanks to him for letting it go For 300 (asking 400). that made it imposable for me to pass! figured you guys might say the same. thanks for your reply.

more pros and cons welcome. Ill add some too after i get to know it.

but next i need a Cabinet... figured i would start with another Ampeg 4-10 any objections?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    No objection here...most folks run them with a 410 or 810. Just remember that Ampeg's different 410's are quite different from each other and get the one that best suits your style.

12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I have owned and play the 4 a LOT. Mine is one of the older St Louis models and I have carted it from one coast to the other and nearly every city in between and it has never once let me down.

If you can find one in good shape for $300, grab it. He'll, if it doesn't work out for you, you won't lose a penny when you sell it. :smug:

As for cabs, I play the 610 and the 810. In your case, I would recommend the 610. More or less, you sort of have the best of both worlds between the 810 and the 410.

Good luck to you!!!

13. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    An Eden 410XLT makes a great mate with the 4 Pro and they're usually floating around used on Craigslist.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Jimmy is spot on (as he usually is :smug: ) here.

They have many flavors of cabs. The 610HLF is probably my favority Ampeg cab in production right now. Just remember the SVT-4 has a ton of power, a LOT of cabs despite their ratings will not be able to handle anywhere near the maximum power of the amp. This is ok, you have a volume knob, you can run that head with just about any cab. Use your ears and whats between them and you will have no issues.

That said I would love to try a 4-pro with my fEARful. One of the few cabs out there that is perfectly happy looking at 1,200 watts.

Oh and to all those posters saying they find the tone dull, or the amp under powered, this is a really useful video. Its actually pretty true for any Ampeg head.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, underpowered is the last thing I'd call Ampeg heads. It's just that their input lights operate differently from most amps in that it's not a clip light, so people don't realize how much potential clean power they have left on tap.

16. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

And not every gain/volume knob has the same taper. So while "2" may be really loud on amp "A", you may already be at 80% of the maximum power and may find the rest of the dial does little. Compare that to amp "B" that needs the gain to be set at 8 to achieve the same gain, and you may feel it is underpowered if all you want to do is turn an amp up to 2.

17. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have both SVT II and the 4-Pro. I end up using the 4-Pro most of the time for practice and smaller gigs when I run 8 Ohm with a 410HE. What I loose in smoothness (toobiness) I can gain with an VT Bass pedal.

The going CL rate in LA for a 4-Pro is $600-$800. Be carefull. $300 sound too cheap.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

$300 does seem a little too good to be true. Try it out and if it works buy it. Personally, I'd then flip it for a profit and then put the additional money towards a used 7Pro.

19. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

just to update you all. Got a cabinet ampeg 8-10 with a cracked grill for 300. This may be the deal of a lifetime rig and both work perfectly so far. I think the svt 4 pro is an awesome head, you can really dial it in to get a really full tone all around and the clarity at high volume is amazing.

so all in all i payed 600 for the svt 4 and the 8x10. I cant believe it. Hope i dont come back in a few months and tell yall that it exploded.

thanks for the feedback

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Good deal...enjoy it!

21. sivarTTravis

sivarTTravis

Thanks man. I see from reading old posts your the svt guru around here. Think you'll approve of the cab it's made of plywood, built in 94 I believe i81eg00047. Not that it could change how i feel about it because it is sounding so good. but it seems to be a heavily revisited subject around here.