1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thinking of going ampless...help...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by raul, Aug 15, 2013.

1. raul

raul

just an idea i have and i know many here do it as well.
    i just don't really know how to go about it.

i have a GK 1001rbii with 410 neo cab. sounds pretty awesome. but...if i wanted to go ampless and just use a DI or...? how does it work? don't you still need cabs for on stage? or is it the PA speakers that your volume comes from? what about on stage volume? and power amps?

i read about people using a REDDI and IEM setup, or a Sansamp RPM etc...what about speaker cabs? power amps? are they needed?

and what about for rehearsals and band practice? do you still go DI or power amp or whatever? or use an amp for band practice?

and...how much money could a setup like this run? and is it worth it? or just stick with an amp head/cab setup? what is the benefit of going non amp? is there a benefit? or is amp and cab the way to go?
  2. Rooster009

Rooster009

There are lots of ways to go about this. Myself, when I run Ampless, I use my Boss GT10b (@$300 used) Staight to the board. For monitoring in this situation, I use a Yamaha SV15. At practice I just run through the Mains and have no problem being heard. Another option that i haven't tried yet with this setup is using earbuds from the headphone out on the GT10b, just so I can have the option of more me. I would have to say though that IEM's would be the ideal way to go for monitoring.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Ampless means..........no amp.

Monitors are either IEM or the stage system.

Either you're playing with PA for the whole band or you aren't playing at all.
    If the stage monitors are @#&! you have to suck it up.
    Iem got no bodily oomph.

Less gear to haul.
    Consistent sounds.
    The bodily oomph you're missing isn't muddying the PA in the club.
  4. walldaja

walldaja

Play a quiet stage with adjustable hearbacks. I use closed back headphones to dampen drums and have them almost zeroed in hearback. They are still plenty loud. Send my signal via Zoom B3 to PA. Would like to hear same signal as the house but we're not set up that way.
  5. Zermelo

Zermelo

The last time I played ampless the sound guy decided to turn off the bass from the stage monitors due to a feedback problem (which wasn't coming from the bass!!!!). It was a medium sized gig, outdoors, for 200-300 people. All the band suffered from not hearing the bass at all, I was willing to kill someone...

From that moment, I never again went on stage without a good amp. A year later I changed my 100w combo and got a 500w stack. Now I'm heard, and all my bandmates more than happy. End of story ;)

As a bass player you should provide good support and great tone. If you can't trust the sound guy, going ampless is suicidal.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've done it a few times. Not a huge fan. I like the sound of amps as opposed to PA monitors, which most of the time don't sound very good for bass. And IEM's have set some folks' worlds on fire but not mine so much. Makes me feel like I'm playing along with an MP3 player. But it's totally doable when you have a decent PA.
  7. IPYF

IPYF

What's the matter with the GK rig?
    The 1001 and the neo are hardly a backbreaking combination.

I've always found that going direct to the board has sounded vastly inferior to having your amp with you.