1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking of picking up a PBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Hi guys,

After a long time of trying to find my tone I realize that most of the tones I have really appreciated have been Fender Precisions.

I realize of course the vintage P Basses sound best, but overall would the crowd here recommend a new American made P Bass?

Side note- I am currently using a musicman bongo.

Thanks,

2. jthurston

jthurston

For what it's worth, I love my '04/'05 American P Bass. BA2 bridge and Basslines pickup. If I could only keep one that would probably be it.

3. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Thanks, I am looking for a punchy rock/ punkish tone. Think these are a good match?

4. ac11367

ac11367 Supporting Member

I would recommend installing a DiMarzio Model P pickup on the P

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

The Fender American Standard P Bass is an amazing instrument. I own 6 Ps total and they all are different and all are great. The '62 AVRI pickup has that really classic P sound but the American Standard is darn close. I have 2 Ps built by Ben Lindsey, one with a Fralin P pickup and one with Ben's P Bass pickup. Again both are different but Ben's pickup wind is exceptional, sort of like the '62 AVRI but it can be cranked to go way above and beyond in terms of tone. Either of my Lindsey basses with stainless rounds gets a fantastic punk sound. It's up to you where you want to go with this and there are a million combos of nut width, pickups, fretboard wood etc. that contribute to the sound you're going after. For what it's worth I watched the classifieds here and on craigslist and got my AMER STD P and an AMER STD Jazz for $750. each, brand new only a month old, so deals can be found with patience.

7. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I purchased an Amc. Std. P5 new 3 weeks ago and it sounds really nice except for the B having less volume and punch than the EADG. Something to be aware of if you're considering a 5 string.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Admitted Precision Bass fanboy here. Own a 2002 American Standard and an MIA Precision V.

If, I had to, was to, could, buy a Precision bass today at market value, I would run the rack of new ones and probably pick or order one.

Second choice would be a lightly used newer American Standard.

The older they get, the setups, care & condition become the issue. If you want to easily get at the notes and make music, buy something that takes to adjustments (with a warranty!), that plays well so you can get beyond battling the instrument.

I love the Precision V. It likes DR Low Rider Nickels the best. Sunbeam Nickels are a bit more mid-rangey but nice too.

9. s4001

s4001

American, MIM or MIJ. All good.
    However of all the Fenders I've owned with a irreparably warped neck - they've all been American.

YMMV.

10. Scott549

Scott549

The standard Precision has a great sound. I have also developed a fondness for the Telecaster-style Precision basses with the single coil pickups. They aren't dead quiet like the split-P pickups but they have a great tone.

11. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Many would say that a Lakland Skyline 44-64 is equal or superior to any Fender.

https://www.lakland.com/44-64.htm

12. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    can't go wrong with a p bass :)

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

And you can't get that out of a Bongo? Those things have a ton of tones - particularly if you have the HH.

14. DogBone

DogBone

Do it.

Just try out several if you can, and honestly don't sweat what country it comes from so much, there are gems to be found throughout the lineup.

:bassist:

Let's just say there simply would be no rock or punk if there wasn't the Fender Precision.

[​IMG]