Thinking of quitting my worship band because: Read below.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Goodness me. We used to have a drum set which was fine; everyone wanted to hear themselves in the midst of a loud drummer, but we had to let another group use the drums (because we're so frigging nice) so we pitched in and bought a cajon percussion drum. I ended up using it the most. No problem except:

Everyone seems to want to be LOUDER in the midst of a cajon, which cannot be heard over booming bass, loud screechy guitar and feedbacking vocals.

I want to tell everyone to play quiet since we became more of a percussive band and they even tell me to play like percussion, but uh...sorry...I thought that meant for everyone?

I ask the bassist to turn himself down because his active pups are more than enough to emit a presence even with the amp volume being at 3. He says no and tells me to mind my own business. I get frustrated just typing this out.

I ask the guitarist to turn himself down on the amp since we mic him anyways. He says I don't know what I'm talking about and ignores me.

Keyboardists understands. He controls his volume from his keyboard while the main mix stays at about 30% on the channel slider. It still is pretty audible through the mix so I have no complaints about that whatsoever.

Acoustic guitarist plays too quiet even though I tell them constantly to strum according to sections of a song: quiet verse, quiet strum. Loud chorus: loud and hard (hah). Booming bridge: go nuts. But it seems like the other way around...

The vocalists are the only dang ones who understand so they try to turn themselves down, but can't because of the former two annoying members otherwise they're lost in the mix.

I don't know what to do or say. I mean, it's common sense. We're in a 100-people room setting and we don't need the bassist ans guitarist to go all rock and roll on us. Absolutely no band consolidation, no unity between the members. It feels like they don't listen to me because I'm younger than them and is considered "not as educated in music as them."

Really? Really? Might I add the bassist just plays when he's asked to play. He doesn't practice whatsoever and thinks he's better than me. To the point where he fiddles with my Sansamp DI settings (WHICH I SPENT HOURS TRYING TO PERFECT). That got me pissed off and I lashed out at him angrily. During sound check. In front of people who were setting up for service. I don't care if it embarrassed him or not. I'm sick of stupid people like him. GAHHHHH

I feel like quitting. Let them handle their own problems. I could care less now. Our worship leader was forced to step down because of family issues and the ones that took over (two of them) are way too relaxed and chill. I hate that.

What do I do? What can I say to make them consider my suggestions, let alone listen?
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

3. BanjoNoise

BanjoNoise

Disclosures:
    I likea da Bass
    worship band is tricky... if you are not being honest that is a half truth... so be honest with people... but at the same time allow people the chance to worship.... is your church a small or big church.... because if it is big there are plenty of people to "replace" them... or rather trade of sundays with etc... just so they can get the picture that there is competition
  4. BanjoNoise

BanjoNoise

Disclosures:
    I likea da Bass
    if it calls for it however... everything should be in balance....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Where is the worship leader?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  7. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

He had to leave for personal family problems so he flew East of Canada for an indefinite amount of time.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Speak with the senior pastor and ask him to hire a sub/new BL.
  9. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Ahhhhh I don't see the point. If they refuse to listen, then that's their problem. I don't want to create tension or drama so best thing to do is take my services elsewhere where I'll be more accepted as a valuable member regardless of age.

Sadly I've been with most of these guys for seven plus years. It's truly unfortunate how much ego can stand in the way of humility and integrity which was what our worship pastor tried to implement in us
  10. IPYF

IPYF

Honestly, it doesn't sound like the dudes in the band like you and they certainly don't respect you. They're not going to care if you quit, so you might as well.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Without getting too "church-y" in this thread, the first thing you need to do is pray, for insight, for wisdom, for patience, and for the other musicians.

Then ask yourself and the others who, or Who, are you trying to please? Are you honoring God with your time and talent? Or are you pleasing yourselves? Are you trying to lead others into a closer relationship with God or are you trying to be a rock star? Sure, you have to have a little bit of ego to get up on stage in front of others, but you also have to be humble enough to realize that it's not about you. It's about letting the Holy Spirit use you for His purposes.

Seek council from someone in your church, the lead pastor or elders. Not to be a narc but to gain clarification of your responsibilities and authorities, and wisdom on how to interact with your worship team. Let them know what's going on and what they might expect for music at the next service. The pastor himself may want to speak with the worship team.

I hope everything will be OK with your worship leader. Keep him in your prayers too. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  12. ZenG

ZenG

Just curious....what kind of "church music" do you guys play?

My relatives are "religious"....so I've been to a few church venues where they play on stage with instruments and speaker systems.

But all the songs I've ever heard were basically slowish to mid tempo.....nothing too heavy with "worship" lyrics as well.

The emphasis seemed to be to downplay anything that reeked of "secular" music.

No stand-out lyrics or instrumentals or anything......

Just sublime, low key stuff in honor of the Lord......
  13. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Like stuff from hillsong, Chris Tomlin, etc..

Were getting more into stuff like all sons and daughters or bethel church too.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why are people afraid to be honest in Church?
  15. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Korean churches are especially very conservative. You're supposed to suck up and not cause drama. Ironically a lot of Korean adults do the exact opposite because they're even more conservative than the church. I don't know if you get my point but basically it's not allowed for us to be honest because we don't want to cause tension or drama within a praise band. If a praise band is fragmented, then they have no right to lead a congregation of 100-300 people in worship music.

Yet.....I go against that because I'm sick of conservatism in a church. Why can't I be honest? I'm sick of people calling themselves Christian yet act as if they had no savior. I fall into that category as well but some people take it over the top.

Probably why a lot of people mock Christianity.
  16. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I seem to be missing the part where people are being dishonest. OP thinks they're too loud and said so. They don't agree and said so. The problem isn't dishonesty but disagreement.
  17. pedroims

pedroims

Seems to me that your band is already in pieces, each of the members do their own thing without thinking in the band as a whole...that is fragmentation.
  18. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

It's a pretty clear lack of leadership.

You have three choices:
    1- Decide to put up with it, realize that the guitar and bass players are going do what they want and accept it.
    2- Go to the church leadership and explain that the lack of leadership in the band while the worship leader is gone is causing problems. Present yourself as asking for guidance, not as delivering a complaint.
    3- Resign.

I declined to become involved when our church started a band due to the petty politics that appeared to be brewing. Time has shown it to be the correct decision.
  19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

It does not sound to me as if this situation is creating a spiritual atmosphere for you or anyone else.

So you must ask yourself: 'What is the purpose of a P&W band and how are you achieving it?'

It does not matter who is right, but it does not sound to me as if you will be able to change them. If you are the only one experiencing this level of angst, you must accept some ownership of your feelings.

What would you do if the answer were 'nothing' ? Seems to me as if that is the path of peace. In my mind, an environment of anger, dissention, and frustration is incompatible with peace.

Your best choices are:
    1) leave. If you do, do you consider yourself so important that the others cannot continue?
    2) accept the situation with serenity.
  20. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

All I will say is I dropped out of the choir/band at my church because of a similar human element. I honestly didn't feel I could contribute any more.

People just forget why they are doing this, it's to support worship, right?
  21. mikegug

mikegug

The point would be to specifically (with intention) identify a leader of the band. They would then put together the musical arrangements and direct.

Hopefully the members would respond. Your mileage may vary.