1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thinking of starting a band doing kid's music

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jobu3, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Supporting Member

Anybody do it?

My brother who is my usual guitarist and I both have kids under the age of two. Neither of us has time to do traditional weekend bar gigs. Our combined networks consist more of parents than musicians at this point. We both have to itch to play out but don't have the schedule or desire to do traditional gigs. We've been discussing doing some of the kid friendly music they like and maybe making a go of it. It would be a good way to spend some time with the family, get some socialization in for the kids, and jam out a little.

Might be cool to do some birthday parties and kid gigs.

Gonna stay far away from craigslist as far as looking for band members for fear of pedos...

Any thoughts?

2. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

There's a guy here in Belgium who calls himself Kapitein Winnokio (kapitein = captain) and he's gotten huge nationwide doing just that - mainly because he basically IS the market. There's one or two other bands doing something similar but that's it, AFAIK.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

If you feel it would be personally & musically satisfying, I say do it..

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

There's certainly a market for that. Do it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

Check the Hipwaders, also They Might be Giants. HW are strictly kids, TMBG did some kid-oriented stuff. Both are really amazing

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Chances are you would gig as much as you could possibly stand. Kids' short attention span = lots of breaks. Pay would be good because you are providing a party service, not trying to fill a bar with drunks. Audience will most likely sing along and dance and put big smiles on your faces. Sounds like a win-win. OTOH, if you don't like kids other than your own this would not be the project for you. I'd think patience and being able to deal with the unexpected would be necessary skills, as well as playing at soft volumes. Also probably a fantastic way to meet some nice women.

8. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I suppose there is a market for it. Kids love shows like The Wiggles, Imagination Movers, etc... so if you were serious you could probably make a go of it. A lot also depends on what you would charge, or if you will charge; I can't see a lot of parents hiring a band at hundreds of dollars for a 5 year old's birthday party. But there are always the big earning suburbanites who would love that sort of thing (I don't mean that in a bad way).

But it could be really cool. Kids are a great audience and they love music. Plus it might be genuinely FUN. Maybe get hooked up with some local clowns or magicians, they seem to get hired for those types of things. I'd say go for it, if it interests you.

9. randyripoff

randyripoff Supporting Member

Do it. I've seen a regular Saturday morning kids show do quite well.

10. skwee

skwee

I think it's a great idea if you are motivated to do it. Also, the world needs more and better children's music: Have fun!

11. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Here is a band in the Minneapolis area that does exactly what you described:

http://www.sandyandthehitmen.com/

The "Sandy and the Hitmen" band is mostly a classic pop cover band, and they play in different configurations as the AlphaBits Band for kids' parties.

Way back in the day (like in the '70's) these good folks were a working bar band, and as they have aged their way through life (as have we all!) they have adapted the band to fit different niche audiences.

12. DannyBob

DannyBob

Really good idea if you want to make some money. Many adults wouldn't want to pay for a band for themselves, but for their kids so they can try to be the "best parents ever" would spend $1000s

13. LordRyan

LordRyan

14. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of the IFC show "Z Rock". It's a show about a throw-back hair metal band that are trying to make it gigging at night. But their day job is playing kids' birthday parties. Funny show.

15. DogBone

DogBone

Incorporating kid friendly songs while busking = $$$

So I'm sure it would be similar for an organized project/band.

Kids today need to be exposed to real life players playing real life instruments, good on you.

Good luck, I think it would be great!

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

My kids loved watching videos of the Laurie Berkner Band.
    The Wiggles were a bit too much for them.

17. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
  18. pasmithy

pasmithy

Reminds me of the episode of three and a half men where Charlie does it. It was a good one! LOL

Hey, a place and time for everything...If this is what fits in your life now do it. Especially while parenting, you have to roll with the tides. And it certainly beats doing nothing.

19. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

20. bolophonic

bolophonic

A friend of mine booked a well-known kids performer for a Saturday morning gig at his venue several years ago. I don't remember who he was, but he had retired from a career as a hip musician to be Cowboy Bob, or Farmer Ted or whatever (I can't recall his character). There was a huge crowd, but the one miscalculation was that my buddy booked an opening act. The result was dozens of kids suddenly crying in despair when some random guy came out singing instead of the character they wanted to see.

21. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You want serious answers? :meh: :rolleyes: :rollno: