Thinking of taking "the plunge..."

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by fmoore200, Dec 10, 2012.

1. fmoore200

fmoore200

into getting back into double bass!!

I say "back into" because I haven't played upright since high school:eek: I played db for ~1 year (taking lessons for some of that time), until my bass fell off the flimsy stand and cracked severely:crying: I have kept playing eb on and off during that time, as well as drumset and percussion, but I truly enjoyed the role, feel (both physical and emotional), tone, etc.. of the upright. Now it feels like a good time to get back to playing this beautiful instrument as I feel I am in a more mature place (musically anyway):bassist:

Some questions for you experienced players:

what should I look for in a good student level bass?

I plan to take lessons immedietly, but what kind of teacher should I look for? (my goals are mostly jazz & Latin)

I want continuity with my teacher, but how do I *know* if a teacher fits my learning style, etc?

Thanks Guys!!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Read THIS

I would get a teacher who knows how to teach the basics. If they also play jazz and latin, that's good, too. You'll know if you like the teacher/lessons after you've taken a few. Since you're in NYC, Ed Fuqua would be a good guy to talk to about this.

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Thanks Eric! I didn't find that article, it is really informative. What do you mean by basics? Would that be a classical teacher? I studied out of simandle when I was in high school, so I know that is in my near future ;)

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Simandl is good. Basics means beginning technique. Find someone who knows how to start you from the beginning. It's about playing the instrument, scales, arpeggios, melodies... Then you can adapt your technique to whatever style of music you choose. A classical teacher will teach the bow, a jazz guy will work with your pizz technique and jazz theory/improvisation. There are teachers that do both, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

Well I'm definitely more interested in pizzicato, but I would like to be able to play arco, for the beautiful music that can be made with the technique, but also because I have read (here on TB) that Arco helps with intonation. Is that true?

Sorry to pick your brain, but I'm excited and want to have as much info as possible..

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

If playing with the bow helps you to hear pitch more accurately, then that is a good thing. I wouldn't say you have to learn with the bow to be able to play in tune, but it sure won't hurt.

8. fmoore200

fmoore200

Thanks again Eric! Anybody have any recommendations for a good teacher for someone with my needs in the Westchester, NY area? I am willing to travel to the city if need be, but if I could find a teacher closer to home, that would be great

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

You might get more response if you post this in the pedagogy or jazz technique section.

10. fmoore200

fmoore200

Ok, I'll try... I wasn't sure where to post this...