Thinking of trading my G&L Tribute L2000 for a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

Or possibly selling it outright. If I'm looking at a MIM Standard Jazz (4 string), would this be a fair trade. Just asking here before I post and don't get any offers haha.
  2. Myrriad

Myrriad

Or, if anyone could give me an idea of where to set my switches/knobs/amp EQ to get a nice Jazz tone of of this bad girl, I'd keep her.
  3. SJan3

SJan3

Run it passive with both pups on for a scooped jazz type tone; bridge pup only for the jaco burp. Play with series/parallel switch for your favorite flavor. Enjoy!
  4. Myrriad

Myrriad

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Waynebass

Waynebass

You decide to trade i have a fender jazz with a badass 2 bridge
  7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Nothing against G&L's, they are nice, but I'd go for a Fender first. Especially if I didn't own one already. The Fender MIA J is a great bass. I had one and miss it. It's been on every style and many hit albums. I prefer the P my self.
  8. Myrriad

Myrriad

You've got a PM
  9. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

I traded my USA G&L L2K for a USA Fender Jazz.
    Honestly... I recognize the importance of owning a jazz or p bass, but I miss my G&L. Get the k-switch mod done and you can get close to a j bass tone with the outer single coils selected.
  10. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

OP, try visiting the G&L Club threads. There's TONS of tonal setting info. Of course, there's also the fact that G&L makes a few J-bass variants of their own. Good luck.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Run it parallel and, active, you got more of a Reggie Hamilton MIM standard Jazz

Run it parallel and, active with highs enhancer, you can push its ash body really close to a Marcus Miller kinda midscooper

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I had a Tribute L2K and really liked it, and after tinkering with the controls for a couple of days, I felt like I could get a "Jazz" tone, and a "Precision" tone and a "sort-of-Stingray" tone. Once I got a P, I traded the Tribute for a MIM fretless Jazz. Because, boy, was I wrong! The P and the J had much more personality than the L2K, as much as I liked other things about it (flat fingerboard radius, satin neck, appearance -- maple fingerboard with a natural ash body). I almost bought a similar L2.5K, but the Precision put thoughts of it out of my head.

Go for the J, or get a G&L S1, which is patterned on the J.
  13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Isn't it weird how that goes?!? I had so many cool active basses over the years and yet a passive P5 has been the best thing I own now. I've only had it since September and it's completely turned my head around. If you get a good Fender it beats almost anything else. Usually the "anything else" is too expensive and doesn't quite get the same sound as a fender IMHO.
  14. Yango

Yango

It is funny how that happens. I've been a Stingray guy for the last five years or so, I absolutely love them. But a few weeks ago I snagged a passive G&L LB-100 (a G&L Fender Precision... essentially), and this bass has just blown me away. The tone is just incredible, and man, does it ever cut through the mix!

I have to admit, it bugs me that my beloved Classic Stingray has been sitting in the closet, but I just can't put this G&L down. At our last rehearsal, I was joking with my guitarist that it would be a shame if this $500.00 bass took the number one spot away from my $2000.00 Classic...
  15. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

L2K....single coil switch, neck PUP on, passive = P bass with a third ball!

I've had jazzes and Ps ande PJs and I would never trade my LK back for any of them. One big thing with that bass is you have to put the volume below 85% to get rid of that wooly texture. Of course, this is all just my opinion! and I do like jazzes and Ps
  16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I own both a Tribby and an MIM Fender. K-mod switch is the key to getting closer to a Jazz tone. But it never quite gets there. But a Fender jazz, even my Active Deluxe, can only DREAM of doing the tones a G&L can do.

Hence there is only ONE TB answer: Get them both. It's what I did and you'll never then "miss" the bass you don't have. :)
  17. mystic38

mystic38

+1 in spades...

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I agree, and this particular pair -- L2k and Jazz -- is about as versatile as any two basses can be. I get my MFD slam from an SB-2, but other than that, play only J-basses.
  19. mournblade

mournblade

I have a nice fender jazz 24 and was thinking of trading for a l2000 or an m2000. If interested hit me up via pm, see what we can work out.
  20. CertifiedLurker

CertifiedLurker

A used L2K Tribute tends to be worth more on the used market than a normal MIM Fender. Locally, used L2Ks tend to go for $400-450, while MIM Js and Ps go for $250-330. Check your Craig'slist and GC used site for what gear tends to go for in your area.
  21. Myrriad

Myrriad

Will do :) but I've set myself on the Arctic White/Maple Standard Jazz, so selling the L2K to get cash may make it easier to just buy new haha.