1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thinking of trading my G&L Tribute L2000 for a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

Or possibly selling it outright. If I'm looking at a MIM Standard Jazz (4 string), would this be a fair trade. Just asking here before I post and don't get any offers haha.
  2. Myrriad

Myrriad

Or, if anyone could give me an idea of where to set my switches/knobs/amp EQ to get a nice Jazz tone of of this bad girl, I'd keep her.
  3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Run it passive with both pups on for a scooped jazz type tone; bridge pup only for the jaco burp. Play with series/parallel switch for your favorite flavor. Enjoy!
  4. Myrriad

Myrriad

5. Waynebass

Waynebass

You decide to trade i have a fender jazz with a badass 2 bridge
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Nothing against G&L's, they are nice, but I'd go for a Fender first. Especially if I didn't own one already. The Fender MIA J is a great bass. I had one and miss it. It's been on every style and many hit albums. I prefer the P my self.
  7. Myrriad

Myrriad

You've got a PM
  8. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

I traded my USA G&L L2K for a USA Fender Jazz.
    Honestly... I recognize the importance of owning a jazz or p bass, but I miss my G&L. Get the k-switch mod done and you can get close to a j bass tone with the outer single coils selected.
  9. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

OP, try visiting the G&L Club threads. There's TONS of tonal setting info. Of course, there's also the fact that G&L makes a few J-bass variants of their own. Good luck.
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

Run it parallel and, active, you got more of a Reggie Hamilton MIM standard Jazz

Run it parallel and, active with highs enhancer, you can push its ash body really close to a Marcus Miller kinda midscooper

Cheers,
    Wallace
  11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I had a Tribute L2K and really liked it, and after tinkering with the controls for a couple of days, I felt like I could get a "Jazz" tone, and a "Precision" tone and a "sort-of-Stingray" tone. Once I got a P, I traded the Tribute for a MIM fretless Jazz. Because, boy, was I wrong! The P and the J had much more personality than the L2K, as much as I liked other things about it (flat fingerboard radius, satin neck, appearance -- maple fingerboard with a natural ash body). I almost bought a similar L2.5K, but the Precision put thoughts of it out of my head.

Go for the J, or get a G&L S1, which is patterned on the J.
  12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Isn't it weird how that goes?!? I had so many cool active basses over the years and yet a passive P5 has been the best thing I own now. I've only had it since September and it's completely turned my head around. If you get a good Fender it beats almost anything else. Usually the "anything else" is too expensive and doesn't quite get the same sound as a fender IMHO.
  13. Yango

Yango

It is funny how that happens. I've been a Stingray guy for the last five years or so, I absolutely love them. But a few weeks ago I snagged a passive G&L LB-100 (a G&L Fender Precision... essentially), and this bass has just blown me away. The tone is just incredible, and man, does it ever cut through the mix!

I have to admit, it bugs me that my beloved Classic Stingray has been sitting in the closet, but I just can't put this G&L down. At our last rehearsal, I was joking with my guitarist that it would be a shame if this $500.00 bass took the number one spot away from my $2000.00 Classic...
  14. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

L2K....single coil switch, neck PUP on, passive = P bass with a third ball!

I've had jazzes and Ps ande PJs and I would never trade my LK back for any of them. One big thing with that bass is you have to put the volume below 85% to get rid of that wooly texture. Of course, this is all just my opinion! and I do like jazzes and Ps
  15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I own both a Tribby and an MIM Fender. K-mod switch is the key to getting closer to a Jazz tone. But it never quite gets there. But a Fender jazz, even my Active Deluxe, can only DREAM of doing the tones a G&L can do.

Hence there is only ONE TB answer: Get them both. It's what I did and you'll never then "miss" the bass you don't have. :)
  16. mystic38

mystic38

+1 in spades...

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I agree, and this particular pair -- L2k and Jazz -- is about as versatile as any two basses can be. I get my MFD slam from an SB-2, but other than that, play only J-basses.
  18. mournblade

mournblade

I have a nice fender jazz 24 and was thinking of trading for a l2000 or an m2000. If interested hit me up via pm, see what we can work out.
  19. CertifiedLurker

CertifiedLurker

A used L2K Tribute tends to be worth more on the used market than a normal MIM Fender. Locally, used L2Ks tend to go for $400-450, while MIM Js and Ps go for $250-330. Check your Craig'slist and GC used site for what gear tends to go for in your area.
  20. Myrriad

Myrriad

Will do :) but I've set myself on the Arctic White/Maple Standard Jazz, so selling the L2K to get cash may make it easier to just buy new haha.