Thinning the herd - the ??? has to go!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Nov 26, 2013.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

"Long story short": I have more gear than I need >gasp< and am thinking of letting a couple of 210 cabs go.

[​IMG]

"Long story long": The Ampeg SVT-410HLFs will stay - I really like these cabs that tend to polarize TB... Bought them new a couple of years back. No problem there.
    Not too long after that, I found one of the mint SVT-210HEs in the picture. (These obsolete Ampeg 210s are very rare in Sweden!) Needed some TLC to fix assorted squeaks, rattles, whistling etc. Came out quite good at the end.
    I recently found a second of the same model, also in mint condition and just "had to" buy it.

(One of those on top of an SVT-410HLF makes a very good stack as they use the same type of driver, are both vented and of similar size and tuning. Being 8 Ohms the also get half the power of the 410.)

The EBS gear is different. The top one is modified with Deltalite II 2510 woofers, deeper tuning, crossover modifications, sealing all the leaking joints (made the Ampegs look like top of the line JBL touring PA in comparison...) etc. This one now sounds very decent for a 210, gets loud, deep and takes every watt the LMII can throw at it. The bottom one is bone stock but will be modified if I keep it. They are similar but not identical. Different shade of rat fur, handles, plastic signs etc. Audience will not notice, I do.

OK, I currently play classic blues/rock/jazz covers; Scott Henderson, Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, SRV in a power trio.
    Main bass is a Precision and I occasionally play an Active Jazz fiver without "riding the B-string". For rehearsal I CAN get by with an Ampeg 210, better with an EBS and best with the 410 ( :bassist: :D ) If we add a keyboard player the Ampeg 210 might not cut it. For gigging I have had best results using one of the Ampeg stacks - never run both, so far...

The Ampeg 210 is less sensitive than the EBS has a darker sound that works well with Precision and Gretsch 5123 but not so great with the Jazz. The EBS on the other hand lacks a bit of "girth" but has more clarity and "noodling quality" for home practice. The EBS cabs are vastly better to carry, pack, tie down, stack and generally "schlep around" than the fragile tolex clad Ampegs. I have covers for the Ampegs but they tend to slide up and leave uncovered areas. The handles (straps?) on the small Ampegs seem like an afterthought.

So, finally, what 210 cabs would you keep, and why?
    I really have problems to make up my mind... :meh:
  2. extreme

extreme

I'd keep your modded EBS cab and one of the Ampeg 2x10s. That gives you your nice "practice" cab...I absolutely love those EBS cabs...and you'd still have two Ampeg 410s and a 210 to choose from for gigs.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I'd have no problem getting rid of both of the Ampeg 2x10 cabs. But then, I really don't like 2x10's. They're too small to be useful to me. I'd use a 4x10 for practice or the EBS stuff. then I'd choose for gigs between the EBS/Ampeg and then by size of the gig for either one 4x10 or both.
  4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks!
    Very valid input, both of you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Might be able to get rid of a whole ampeg stack (one 210 and one 410) if you've never had need to run both?

I know nothing of EBS stuff. The Deltalites are good drivers.
  7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks!
    Selling a 410 is not an option at this point. Any further, future tube amp experiments (tried a Peavey VB-2 recently, was not too happy) will call for lots of cone area and so might some loud gigs as well.

The EBS cabs have great potential but require some tweaking to get there, IME/IMO. The NeoLines have decent drivers but these ProLines come with regular Gamma 10s. Like you said, the Deltalites are good, especially now that have filtered out a lot of the mid spike.
  8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

By the way, the EBS cabs also work just fine on top of the 410s. Slightly odd looking, though.
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Sell the gamma loaded ebs and one ampeg 210?

I don't know, man. There's a lot of redundancy in your pile there but I guess they all work well together/have their purposes and uses. The HLF's wouldn't be my first choice (or anywhere near it) for a tube amp, but that's an opinion, not a fact.
  10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have very little experience with tube amps for bass but there are some people that seem happy running an all tube SVT through the HLFs.
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If it were me, I'd run the tubes through all the 210's, or as many as needed. Idea being to get more output and midrange punch and less subwoofy rumble....but again, just one man's opinion. It takes a lot of power to get those HLF's hitting hard....more than all but the biggest tube amps have, IMO.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, plenty of folks use an SVT and 410hlf and seem happy with it.
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I'd keep the modded EBS for sure, for smaller gigs and parties, and the better of the two Ampegs.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Probably so.

From what I've played of HLF's, which has only been with SS amps, mainly 3pros and GK's, it seems to me it would take most of what an SVT has to give to get one of them really cooking.

Of course, that may be why some like them.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Alex, close your eyes, relax and think of an amp that you own. Which one immediately comes to mind, makes you smile and fills you with a warm glow?

THAT'S the one to keep!! :D
  16. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    I'd personally get rid of the Ampeg 210s... they seem like the weak link here.