1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Third-Party Jazz Neck Pickup with Precision Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Do any of the third-party manufactures produce a neck pickup for the Jazz bass that comes anywhere close to the tone of a P?
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Yes.

SGD Lutherie (who posts regularly here on TB) can wind a P pickup equivalent in a J shell. I'm sure there are several other vendors who could do it too.

All the best,

Bob
  3. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Great news, thanks very much. :hyper:
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the dimarzio ultra Jazz is a beefy split-coil humbucker, so a little like a P pickup.
  5. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

You could wire your Jazz pickups in series to get a P-like sound. Lots more output and bottom end when you do this.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

You could try an overwound Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz, which is a series wired split coil in the J shell. The stock wind sounds like a beefy vintage voiced J pickup, but an overwind should move it closer to P-bass territory. I'm sure Lindy would know how to best emulate a P-bass tone within that format.
  7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

My tech put a push pull pot as my neck vol pot so now I have traditional parallel j twin vols or pull up to get master vol series pickups to deliver very p ish tones. Easy mod that really works andsounds great in my fretless jazz with SCN pickups.