1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Third-Party Jazz Neck Pickup with Precision Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Do any of the third-party manufactures produce a neck pickup for the Jazz bass that comes anywhere close to the tone of a P?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Yes.

SGD Lutherie (who posts regularly here on TB) can wind a P pickup equivalent in a J shell. I'm sure there are several other vendors who could do it too.

All the best,

Bob

3. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Great news, thanks very much. :hyper:

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the dimarzio ultra Jazz is a beefy split-coil humbucker, so a little like a P pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

You could wire your Jazz pickups in series to get a P-like sound. Lots more output and bottom end when you do this.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

You could try an overwound Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz, which is a series wired split coil in the J shell. The stock wind sounds like a beefy vintage voiced J pickup, but an overwind should move it closer to P-bass territory. I'm sure Lindy would know how to best emulate a P-bass tone within that format.

8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

My tech put a push pull pot as my neck vol pot so now I have traditional parallel j twin vols or pull up to get master vol series pickups to deliver very p ish tones. Easy mod that really works andsounds great in my fretless jazz with SCN pickups.