1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

This Craigslist Ad is Comedic To Me... like a baaaad joke

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I realize I'm taking a chance that this rig might belong to a fellow TBer... but this is seriously one of the most crack-smoking-ludicrous ads I've ever ever ever seen.
    For 1,200 FREAKIN' BUCKS, too!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/4217757326.html

2. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Well, it CAN achieve a jazz/funk frequency... and in Nashville, no less... Might be a little more of a rarity, there?

A two hundred dollar head, and a couple of (hopefully) usable Speakon cables. I'd be in for MAYBE $100...

Yikes!

3. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

....could this be a descendant of PT Barnum?

4. Rob22315

Rob22315

Those cabs look like two Peavey 15" cabs, one considerably older and more beat up than the other. They're not even Black Widow speakers, they're Scorpions.

I like Peavey stuff but NO WAY at that price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Is anyone catching his use if the word "attenuated" also (twice)? By definition, he is stating that those cabs are actually weakened, or tuned to offer even LESS bass response! I'm guessing the seller has been waiting years to use the word "attenuated" in a sentence... and he completely blows the chance here.

I love Craigslist: so many ads make me feel even smarterer

7. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

I think he missed a decimal...actual value of that rig is probably closer to @120.00

8. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Smarterer and smarterer... That's why we're here, right?

But, then maybe, it's just me... Smart left the station, a long time ago, where I'm concerned. Never mind! hrb

Edit: PT Barnum was my grandpa. So, be nice!

Edit: Not, really, but seriously, the Egress, is just a little this way... keep moving, please... yeah... it's right there... keep moving..... you're almost there... keep moving..... there you go.....

9. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

But, is it good for metal (tm)?

10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    ;)I admire his sand...

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That rig wasn't worth 1200 brand new.

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

"must be able to pick up" ... uh ... if you lift those cabs off the ground they'll disintegrate!

13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

What's an attenuated cabinet? Were those cabinets twice as large before they became attenuated? Were space aliens involved? How about Elvis? Enquiring minds want to know.

14. tgriley62

tgriley62

"Bass rig must go...." As in "I need to get this out of my house before the cops get here"

15. Major Softie

Major Softie

Yeah, this got posted already in the long "Dumb Craigslist Ads" thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if those cabs are so attenuated that you can't hear them at all. If you couldn't see them either, then they'd be perfect.

16. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

There's a guy who's been trying to sell a BC Rich Bronze Series Beast bass on my local classifieds for $1000

17. TheBear

TheBear

What a deal, that's only $1 per watt AND you get two 1x15's, each "attenuated" to specific styles of music!

How exactly does one attenuate a speaker cab to funk? If I could figure that out I'd be all but set to play for George Clinton. Sounds like stolen gear being moved. He'd probably have better luck selling if asking for a case of beer than $1200.

18. shenanigans

shenanigans

Fixed it for you. I'm pretty sure those cabs will still be around when cockroaches have conquered the earth. All 472 pounds of them.

19. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    ...anybody besides me really want to call the guy and make an appointment to look at the stuff, then call him back at least four or five times over the weekend to reschedule, and keep him hanging, just as a general punishment for being a dumbass dirtbag?...

EDIT- I see there's no phone number in the ad now, but I could've sworn there was one when I first saw the listing. Maybe a bunch of people already called, and called him out, to give him a reality check.

20. Lownote38

Lownote38

No. We have a healthy jazz/funk scene here. No Nashville bass player would buy that junk unless they just arrived here from Siberia or something.