1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

This guy is dreaming right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toomanyslurpees, Apr 12, 2014.

1. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1960s-Goya-1...Y-/380881449527?pt=Guitar&hash=item58ae4db237

Just curious, because I have a very similar bass that's obviously made by the same people... Not trying to sneak in a 'what's it worth' thread as an non-supporting member, the bass in question was my Dad's and it's never going to be sold. Just curious, rare as it is, I've never assumed it's worth much. It's very well built and nicely finished, if not a little weird with the buttons, but I've never liked it's tiny neck and weak bottom end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Asking price is not to be confused with what someone is willing to pay.
    The Goya name does carry some brand recognition premium.
    Yours is a beauty nonetheless!

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Not all value con be presented as dollars and cents.

4. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

The guy is out to lunch. Track the auction, and you will get your answer.

But remember, the seller doesn't have to sell it to everybody, just one buyer.

There's an ass for every saddle.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Somebody had one as a child or their dad had one when he was younger and they want to give it as a gift.

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Not just dreaming but smoking some potent stuff along the way too. For me knock of a digit.

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Regardless of the asking price - that Goya is really nice. The OP's is nice too, and more so because it was his fathers, but the single cutaway has some details that yours doesn't.

I separate appreciation of an instrument from the price since I have no interest in purchasing it. Having said that - that is one cool bass (and a great case also!)

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1 The seller is on drugs.

The whole "Someone will buy it, it just takes the right person" hypothetical is total fantasy. The thought that some eccentric millionaire who just happens to be looking for a cherryburst 60's Goya bass just like he used to have when he rode his sled "Rosebud" as a child is ludicrous. Stuff like that never happens. Items priced like this will never sell. They'll sit on ebay for months before the seller gets bored relisting it.

10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nice basses. The cool factor on that ebay one is off the charts.

Can't see it being worth that much, tho.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

The only similarities I see in the basses in question is that they are both not solid and both have four strings. They both are cool though.

The eBay Goya is overpriced for sure but it makes me tingle funny.

12. LGT

LGT

Hey, if the seller can get someone to buy it for that price, more power to them IMO

13. JIO

Disclosures:
    +1

14. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Cool, that's what I thought... I'm kind of glad I don't like playing this bass that terribly much as I'm not temped to gig it. This is the only bass my Dad owned since I was around, at least since I was old enough to remember. I know these have some connection with the zerosetta company, they made accordions, which is probably why they have the pearl buttons, if it works on an accordion, why not a bass? I figure it much be connected to Goya too because that bass on the auction looks to have identical neck construction and a similar neck plate with the hand stamped serial. It's a very unique neck joint, which is the reason I can't use the normal trick to fix that string alignment.

15. JIO

Disclosures:
    May just be something of a symbol/icon of personal connection/importance for you, which is - ok, right? Instruments are very personal objects - vessel's of creativity and expression. I'm sure your dad had many hours of enjoyment playing it.

16. Doctor J

Doctor J

It does seem absurdly priced but retro is in in a big, big way, right now. I've seen old Fenders with even worse string alignment with asking prices five times this one. It feels like there is a school of thought out there of old is gold no matter what it is and no matter how it plays and this is an extension of it. The price you see some of those terrible old Eastern Bloc instruments go for make this one almost seem rational. If they can find a buyer at this price then fair play to them. Caveat emptor after all.

17. Wallace320

Wallace320

Other than that yes: Eko worked (as they do now) for many brands and yes, their craftsmanship is great, still their basses lack lowend

I know, I got a Florence acoustic electric bass and, again, very good instrument and perceived overall quality.

Still too much for that price: if everything's ok, it deserves half that tag at the very last, and just because of collectable purpose.

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

19. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Woah.... Dudes on crack or somethin...

20. JIO

Disclosures:
  21. kcole4001

kcole4001

That Goya and the Les Paul are probably the only single cutaway body styles I like, without all the extra funky switches mind you.
    But I don't like it that much! :eek:
    That's a crazy price.