1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

This Guy is un believable!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pedulla-2007, Jan 1, 2013.

1. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Is Joe Bonamassa the best guitarist in the world at 35 ? Here he is as a kid overplaying with Robben Ford because he is nervous, IMOhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1lSuEeZPQ
  2. pedulla-2007

Video didn't come up?
  3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

No, he's not the best guitarist in the world. Not even remotely close. He has his moments, though.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Agreed.

Personally, and for the style of music, I think Warren Haynes blows him way out of the water.
  5. Timmah

Timmah

+1. I like bonmassa, but he has a tendency to overplay. Warren Haynes is just much more tasteful, IMHO. This is coming from a Haynes fan who has everything from gov't mule to man in motion, so I may be a little biased.
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Man in Motion was a fantastic album!
  7. Gazman

Gazman Supporting Member

Joe's a really cool guy, great skills, hard working, dedicated and he is a walking encyclopaedia on blues music.

I love his stuff, but he is ( and probably never will be) the "best".
    Compare Joe and Beth Hart doing "I'd rather go blind" with Jeff Beck and Beth doing the same song.
  8. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

He's not even in the top hundred thousand as far as I'm concerned. Dullsville IMO (you did ask).
  9. nortonrider

nortonrider

Joe Bonamassa is one of my favorite guitar players

..... Warren Haynes is the other one!
  10. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    +1 to Haynes!!!

I dig Bonamassa's style, but Haynes, oh boy that's some serious guitar playing!

I like Derek Trucks a lot, too, but I feel he's sort of a one trick pony with that slide playing of him...
  11. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Great player, but definitely not someone I think of when the topic of blues rock comes up.
  13. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Oops haha...guess I should have seen the rest of the thread :bag:
  14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I agree with this, except for the "one trick pony" part.
  15. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

16. nortonrider

nortonrider

Derek Trucks slide playing does start to sound all the same after a while.
    But.... it's definitely working for him. When I hear a DT solo, I immediately know it's him.

Come to think about it,
    Warren Haynes and Bonamassa both have their "go to" licks too! I can pick out their playing pretty easily also.
  17. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

18. pflash4001

pflash4001

Bonamassa is awesome, Derek Trucks is fantastic, so is Haynes and so is Gilbert. They're all great musicians. Why does it have a contest? It's not like we're trying to run the fastest 100 m dash or anything.
  19. pedulla-2007

This is just my opinion, but why do we have the Olympics, or for that matter, The Special Olympics? This goes back to the beginning of time, in my way of thinking, why do we have wars. This is really a subjective topic, as I bet Nascar drivers would be scratching their heads if they were asked why they want to be the fastest, right now.Why do we have over 50 auto manufacturers? Why did we race to the moon ? Could there be extra money involved for people who are at the best of their trade? I sincerely believe my question to be an honest one, with validity in a music based thread. Thank you all for your opinions. I have come to the conclusion that anybody that is the best at what they do, started at a very early age, living their passion.
  20. Icey101

Icey101

it cant be measured, it can only be argued

listen to them all and you get everything

Ice