This is a Geddy Lee Signature? ...Really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MisterFabulous, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

Attached Files:

2. capnjim

capnjim

Looks fine to me, why would anyone fake a Geddy Lee bass??
  3. MisterFabulous

MisterFabulous

It seems like a Geddy Lee Sig. neck on a different body. The Badass Bridge extends past the body, and there's a thumbrest added.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Or someone added the thumbrest and maybe changed out the bridge. I'm looking at other pics of Geddy Lees and the corner of the bridge seems like it's normally right at the edge of the body; if that pic is at a little bit of an angle it might look like it's extending more than it really is. But you're right, the thumbrest is definitely added. The guy says he put on an aftermarket pickguard. It's not strictly stock, anyway.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cjp3044

cjp3044

Disclosures:
    Part time guitar and amp tech at the Tone Shop
    Well it has a pickguard screw above the neck pickup like a Geddy, the BAII bridge is stock on the Geddy (and it looks correctly placed to me -- I have them on all my Fenders), the neck is definately right. But I've NEVER seen a Geddy in anything other than black -- doesn't mean they didn't make on though.
  7. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

I was going to point out that the sunburst Geddy Lee signature comes with a black pickguard, but the description says the owner installed an aftermarket pickguard and will include the original... So I think it is fine...
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Somebody buy it so we can be sure.
  9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Profit....... why would anyone fake a Rolex.
  10. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

****But if have doubt I would not jump too soon. Especially because there are always Geddy's out there for sale whether Black or 'burst.

Wait a few days to a week and there will be others at a similar price.
  11. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

This isn't hard, guys. Fender's has an SB Geddy sig for like 3 years now. The guy just added a pickguard and a thumbrest. Looks fine to me.
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassGL3TS/
  13. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

It sure doesn't look right to me.

:eyebrow:
  14. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Real deal.
  15. pdusen

pdusen

Other than the obvious replacement pickguard, it looks pretty much exactly like my sunburst geddy...
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

It looks like a Geddy sig but I don't think it is either.

Seller obviously added the thumb rest and I am willing to bet he added the bridge too, whoever installed it that poorly probably didn't slot it worth spit. Do not buy.

The bridge is definitely installed wrong.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm no expert on these things but I kept going back and forth between the Ebay pic and the Sweetwater pic. The bridge on the Ebay bass is definitely closer to the edge than the Sweetwater Geddy bass. The black around the edges goes in further on the Sweetwater bass (but that's spray so who knows if that means anything).

Again, I'm just spit balling here but my gut says the necks are the same but the bodies aren't.
  18. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Yep. its too far back.
  19. pdusen

pdusen

Yeah, the spray varies pretty significantly. I bought mine in September and it isn't anywhere near as dark as the one currently on Sweetwater.
  20. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

I think that they took the picture in the ebay selling very close with a wide camera lens, making the perspective look like the bridge goes past the edge of the body. If you look at the knobs, you can see that the tone knob looks very stretched compared to the first volume. That seems to confirm that the camera was very close to the body.