1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

This is a long time local bassists rig, what is going on here

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Arnie, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Arnie

Arnie

2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Media:
    Albums:
    The privacy settings on the facebook profile wont allow the general public to view it.

[​IMG]

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Three words describe my feeling for this rig: No thank you!!

4. Bob C

Bob C

Definitely is a PA rig. Back in the 80s, a few guys local to me used JBL single 15 scoops for bass stage rigs. The big horns with lenses is a new one to me. Looks like a giant rack of amps too. I'm more interested in the two Jazz basses.

What else do you know about the player or band? Is that a recent photo, or something from the archive?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arnie

Arnie

That's his current rig... It must freakin' rumble... In the rack is a power amp obviously and an ashly crossover but I don't know what pre amp he is using..

Yeah those basses are sweet..

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

8. Bob C

Bob C

I probably wouldn't want to use it, let alone transport it. But I love looking at vintage gear. Time passes and nostalgia sets in. We forget that there was a reason we outgrew the old stuff. Give me a B3, Leslie, homemade strobe light and Acoustic 360. I'm 17 again!

9. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Yet, you wouldn't have an issue with going DI to FOH. I don't get it. :bag:

10. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Is the thing on the top with the slats some kind of high frequency driver?

11. Bob C

Bob C

It's a big PA horn with a "lens" (I think that's what they called them). I think its purpose was to subtly disperse the sound. Anyone know more about it than me?

12. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

The thing on the top is a JBL acoustic lens which was made to most often bolt to a 2" throat (4" diaphragm) driver like a 2440, 2441, or even 2445. Yes, it is to broaden the dispersion, at the expense of a little throw.

The thing on the bottom is a knock-off of a JBL 4520 "double scoop" which is a PA cabinet and not really a bad one for the 1970s. The problem with playing bass through one is that it's considerably louder 50 feet away from it than it it is five feet away from it, which makes it a not-so-good choice for a stage rig.

The really cool original-issue Crown DC300 with the Bakelite knobs and fuse-plate on front, while a venerable hoss of it's day, is no where enough power to justify hauling around a rig that big either.

Cool. Old. Museum. Umm... Stuff.

13. duncmill

duncmill

The power amp is a Crown DC 300. The thing on top of the speaker cabinet looks like what used to be called a diffusion lens in front of a high frequency horn. Sunn used something similar on sixties era PA.

14. Geri O

Geri O

Good grief, Charlie Brown...:meh:

That's two separate PA components there and not very good ones. Not necessarily made to match, but not much was in those days of PA. The big lens was, I think, an attempt to disperse the high frequency out and downward when stacked up. I might could find some old literature on them and I'll post it here, if anyone is interested.

Having said all of this, I think it could be made to be a decent bass rig, if you have a decent power amp and crossover/processor, as well as the ear to set it up. I can't see the need for such a large high driver as what's there will easily outrun the low cabinet. But if you want to hear the popping and slapping better, then there ya go...:D

15. 10cc

10cc

Looks like a nightly total of ten trips to the van.

16. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Hard to see in this pic, but Greg Lake used two of these during "Brain Salad Surgery" Tour. His rig was something like 2000 watts.

Attached Files:

• elp.jpg
      elp.jpg
      File size:
      7.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

For not much in return:rollno:

19. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

" Two stacks of four JBL's (two mid-range, two bass) are powered by the two Crown stereo amps and produce a total of 2,000 watts..."

That would be quite a feat since a DC300 is 155 watts/ch into 8ohms.

20. thrasher666

thrasher666

Those 2 J-bass's are looking pretty rough. I don't mind the years of scars, but rust??? Nothankyou!!

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't get that. What does that rig have to do with FOH? Are you saying it's the same thing?