1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

This is why Police officers should hesitate before

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

2. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Work with at least 7 policemen, with the "BARNEY FIFE" mentality. Each say they are trained to shoot first, and ask questions later. I keep my distance because they all seem to be moody, from time to time, with a kill or be killed attitude. None see animals as family members. Just my two cents.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

So we have a tragic story, that could have been a greater tragedy and it is nothing at all to do with Police officers shooting dogs.

In regards to the link, awesome dog, the family must be heartbroken.
  4. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I missed the part of that story where the cops shot the dog ???
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Your link is wrong if it is supposed to be about shooting a dog.

And I personally don't think police should hesitate when shooting a dog, if the thing is aggressive enough they have to shoot it, they shouldn't wait until it attacks somebody.
  6. pedulla-2007

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

In 27 years as a cop, I never had to shoot a dog, and I'm glad of that. However, if I would have felt truly threatened by one, I would have had zero problem doing so.
  8. spade2you

spade2you

I got bit by a rotty about 10 years ago. Hurt like hell. I also had the opportunity to see the result of a pit bull attack that was brought into the ER. I can see why law enforcement doesn't hesitate.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

This is a weird thread
  10. pedulla-2007

Thank you for your honesty, and I am glad you never had to shoot a dog either.
  11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

You missed where cops shoot dogs almost every day in this country?
  12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

It's a police officer's job to correctly assess the situation and most of the time it calls for some hesitation at least to allow for thought process. If someone is not up for the challenge they need to hang up the badge because the same dynamics with dogs apply to humans and all life is important.

The title had nothing to do with the story but dog shootings, some very high profile cases have been in the news in recent months.
  13. spade2you

spade2you

How fast is a dog and how fast are you? He who hesitates......

The perspective is a little different when you're on the business end of an aggressive or defensive dog.
  14. blue4

blue4

Being a cop sounds so easy...

I suppose many would feel differently if it was a spouse or a parent making the decision to shoot instead of a stranger who should "hesitate" in case of dog misinterpretation.
  15. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Oh. OK. I like coffee.
  16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

It was always very simple in my mind. The choice between shooting the dog or getting my arm or leg chewed on, I would shoot the dog every single time . There will continue to be a problem with this type of thing, as long as gang bangers, wannabes, and other assorted scumbags use large and vicious dogs as penis extensions
  17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

When I was about 7 or 8 My father and I were in the hills hiking around when a pack of 4 large dogs, aggressive in that considered themselves the master of the landscape that day and came to us to investigate us. NOT in a happy go lucky wag yer tail kinda way but a pack on patrol kinda way. As they came closer my father instructed me as to exactly how to behave, what to do and not do. I am pretty sure all he told me is all basic stuff. Don't run, don't pet them, stand still and let them smell and size you up. Do not let them sense any fear. Do not look in their eyes but keep yourself facing them unless they go around. Stand your ground. We did, and they had a look at us and moved on. The sense I had was one wrong move and they would have jumped us. It was a stressful situation.

Since then the lesson served me well. I have had to deal with dogs and basically you stand your ground and keep your face to their front. If they are going to attack they are going to. That is another matter but until the dog does very little of it's actions matter before that point because most of it is fluff and posturing. A dog that means business won't mess with the fluff it will quietly and methodically move in for the attack. You just need to understand the nature of the animal.

Other times it's best to run for your life! I had to once with two doberman dogs. But I was not stupid about it. I never let on I knew that I was aware of them. I made my way back to my van. They followed and I am pretty sure they intended to attack but they were taking some time to size me up first. When I got near enough the van I bolted. I got in just in time and I would have shot them had I beed able to because they were up to no good and made that clear.

What is clear to me in a lot of the dog shootings is the cops doing it don't know crap about dogs. Like the officer that shot a Chiwawa in it's cage.

The problem has reached the halls of government and I am on solid footing in my observations.

<<Colorado Wants to Stop Police From Shooting Dogs

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/colorado-wants-to-stop-police-from-shooting-dogs.html#ixzz2tT9Auz4C

In response to a series of seriously unfortunate incidents involving police shooting dogs, Colorado lawmakers have introduced a bill that will require law enforcement officers to undergo canine behavioral training in an effort to stop the use of deadly force when dealing with dogs.

One incident involved a 3-year-old lab mix named Chloe who belonged to Gary Branson. Chloe was staying with a relative while Branson was out of town when she escaped through an open garage door. She was later cornered in the garage and tried to escape when she was caught on a catch pole, at which point an officer shocked her with a taser and then shot her five times.

They claimed she was aggressive, but a neighbor caught the whole thing on video and it doesn’t really look that way. It looks more like a dog who is wary of being menacingly cornered by multiple strangers who then only tries to escape the situation. According to the Denver Post, Officer Robert Price is facing a felony charge of aggravated cruelty to animals.

Branson is left with nothing but memories and a ceramic paw print. He told KRDO he can’t bring himself to watch the video, but hopes that this legislation will give Chloe’s life a bigger purpose and help save other lives in the future.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/colorado-wants-to-stop-police-from-shooting-dogs.html#ixzz2tT8r8QCK
  18. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

The problem is the dogs making the news are not related to that type of dog owner. Some were just concerned about their owners, some were shot because police entered the wrong house Etc.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, I don't see any connection between your thread title and the link. Second, how long should an officer hesitate before shooting a dog that is threatening him - 'til it bites him? I love dogs. I don't love dogs that are attacking me. I would never, ever shoot a dog under any circumstances because I don't have any guns. But if I did, I would if it were attacking me.
  20. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

The other day I was walking to the store, and as I passed by one house two older but very large golden retrievers ran out of their hard at me barking and trying to look as tough as a couple aging golden retrievers could. For about a split second I considered just running, knowing they would never catch me, but then they would be out in the relatively busy street. So instead, I stood my ground, pointed at their house and calmly yelled "go home!" They immediately snapped out of it, lowered their heads and turned around back into their yard. It was one of the most adorable things I've ever seen in my life. They didn't even bark at me when I walked back by going home.

Not saying anyone should try it if you got a pack of dobermans on you, but yeah, it still puts a smile on my face when I think about it. Through their body language I could just imagine them saying to each other "aw geez George, we're in trouble!"