1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

This McCartney Rickenbacker looks... strange

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    SELF-EDIT AFTER THE FACT.... After some early-morning research, I read that the c64*S* version has SHAVED HORNS, which explains it. Not an optical illusion after all, but a shaved top horn. Which is what I have to do during full-moon phases... shave my horns... sorry, it's late and i'm drinking.
    Question answered, so mods, feel free to close the thread or whatthehellever, thanks

(Orig post)
    In my quest for a 4001, I ran across this ad. Everything loks legit, except....
    I couldn't quite put my finger on it, then realized that it's the top horn on the body that looks out of whack, or disproportionate, or not "meaty" or "carved" enough on the end where the strap button is.

I'm certainly not trying to take money out of anyone's pocket, and I surely don't want to p!ss off a TB'er if the seller is out here (though I checked the FS forums already). I'm just wondering if anyone else has any input on the appearance, or if it's an optical illusion based on the flat-black paint.

I'm at least a day's drive away from this thing, but I'll be headed through Knoxville in the next few weeks. Here's the link: http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/3511707482.html

2. odineye

odineye Gold Supporting Member

3. Kenzy

Kenzy

I agree with this. I've never heard of a McCartney special in anything but a MapleGlo finish. And I have never seen a Ricky headstock that colour...grey. Is that just some odd lighting thing?

4. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

True Tone Music in Santa Monica have a black C64S. I think it's some limited run or something

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bill reed

bill reed

here in Edinburgh you have Guitarguitar selling a
    Rickenbacker 4003 Walnutburst.
    This classic bass comes in a strictly limited edition Walnutburst finish, exclusive to Guitarguitar. This is the first new finish in some 5 years and numbers are limited to 25 worldwide.
    the Edinburgh shop has 4 for sale.

so Ric do make Limited editions so maybe this is one!!!!

7. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

The C64S was originally listed as "MG only" (for Mapleglo) but it was more like "Maplematte" – a smooth satin finish. However, near the end of the run, RIC became more liberal with the color policy. There was at least one C64S (the S stood for "sanded" to replicate PM's overzealous mods on his original Fireglo Rose-Morris 1999 Rickenbacker bass) done in glossy Fireglo, at least one in satin Fireglo, some in glossy Jetglo, several in satin Jetglo, a few in glossy Midnight Blue, a few in satin Midnight Blue, and right at the end (in 2011) RIC did five each in glossy White, "TV Yellow," and "Sea Foam Green."

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

I've seen pics of the JG and MID basses several times before.

The MID looks especially nice.

9. Kenzy

Kenzy

But what about the grey headstock? I've never seen that before.

10. eccles77

eccles77

Is the "grey" headstock that colour due to the way the photo was taken and is in fact black to match the rest of the bass?

11. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    Yeah, it looks like an overhead light just hit the headstock and made it look washed out. The back of it is black in the other picture.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member