1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

This noob has big plans.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Widow1942, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Widow1942

Widow1942

Hi All -

New here. Looking forward to absorbing and learning as much as I can from all you knowledgeable folks.

I've been an acoustic rhythm guitarist/songwriter/vocalist for 20+ years, and am finally diving into bass. I didn't expect to fall so completely in love with it! What started out as 'I wish I was able to follow along on bass' has turned into 'I can't wait until I can be called a bass player'. I've got big plans to be among the bevy of great players in my city. I've got a great teacher, one of the hardest working musicians I know, and several good friends that are also working musicians, so I've got a broad spectrum of folks to help me along. They've all recommended TalkBass.

My short term goal is to be able to play and sing backing harmonies in the country/Americana/singer-songwriter genres (first gig next weekend, yikes!), and my long term goal is to be able to play and sing lead, either on my own tunes or on covers. I'd also like to (eventually) be able to sing standards with my jazz band and be the bassist, since we're always scrambling to fill that spot when our regular dude can't make it.

So, that's my deal. Any threads or forums you can point me to that might be a good jumping point for a gal like me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Your plate will be full, however, your instructor and friends will get you where you want to be.

Coming from rhythm guitar the bass learning curve is not that steep. Follow the chord chart and root on one will always point you in the right direction. Is there more? Of course.

Have fun.
  3. Widow1942

Widow1942

And, I'm hoping, information from this source will be an asset too, to help me get where I want to be. I definitely know I'm filling up my plate - especially while continuing to work on the other music projects I'm involved in - but I'm not in this for instant gratification, I'm looking to continue to learn and better myself as a musician. So, the-long-haul it is! Thanks.