This video makes me think

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SteveC, Dec 20, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC

Been struggling with what to do about my playing lately. I only play at church and occasionally fill in with jazz groups in town. I endlessly debate with myself about what bass, how many strings, should I try effects, etc. I have been playing active 5 strings for a long time. I sometimes think that is what people expect me to play.

Recently, I have been listening to people who play a simple Precision (or Jazz) bass and sound amazing - both tone and their lines. My only real gig is church. We do a lot of Chris Tomlin and the like. I ran across this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31q8y1yJbzI

Kind of makes me wonder…

I haven't really worked on my playing for a while. Really worked the fingerboard. Worked on tone. Worked on playing good lines. Yes, one can do that on any bass, but I wonder if the additional options that I always thought were good (5 or 6 string, 24 frets, etc.) can maybe hold you back as well. Does that make sense?
  2. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

I like it.....
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, he says it himself in the video (re: gear) - "Seriously, bass is so subjective. It depends on what kind of music you're playing."

Use whatever gear you feel comfortable with - if you think you'll play better with an old Fender four string, by all means try it. Personally I don't think that's where it's at though, I think it has mostly to do with feeling the music and liking what you play.
  4. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much this.

I , however, do agree with Jesse and like the old standards, even though I seem to be always on the lookout for something new. This video definitely makes me pause about all the new fangled, wing ding, gadgets and boutique stuff I lust after.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I’m kinda with Jesse. I play on the worship team at my church, as well as sit in at others if needed. Been doing it about 10 yrs or so. I love it! Its actually challenging, more so than rock or blues which was my mainstay for years. I’ve tried all kinds of basses over the years, but i’ve always been a 4 stringer. I tried active electronics once and hated it and didn’t see the need for it. I tried a bit of effects but didn’t find the need. I use a snark clip on tuner that works just fine for me. I play a squire cv precision bass and what has become everybody’s favorite it seems is my Kala fretless u-bass! This bass is a low end monster with a 20” scale and weighs maybe 2 lbs! I do run it through a high pass filter called an f-deck, and if I’m using both basses I have a splitter. Thats it. No amps onstage, just a direct line to pa. Simple and effective. But thats me. Others have different ideas and thank God for that! You have to do what works for you and makes you happy. Seems like we may be playing similar music to what your doing. I’m blessed to have a worship leader that allows the freedom to express myself and not have to play songs note for note. A lot of the Contemporary Christian music seems to have a lot of drive, but the lines themselves can get a bit boring just pedaling root notes.
  7. SteveC

SteveC

I love new fangled and boutique. I just can't really afford it. I have one nice bass and love it. However, it might be nice to have 2 or 3 and I can't afford that. I can, however, afford 2 or maybe 3 if they are just simple but good basses.
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

It's almost that time of year again isn't it. ;) :D
  9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

get over to yer local shop and play 20 different basses and score one that just slays! gl.
  10. SteveC

SteveC

I'd like to buy local, but the selection is limited. There is a USA P and J but that's about it - other than LTD, Schecter, Squier, etc. Of course, they are cheap.
  11. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I decided to try 5 string after years of playing a 4. I've acquired a 6 , a 5 fretless, and another 5 since that time. What I found that acquiring those different guitars had the opposite effect of "holding me back." They totally rejuvenated my playing and practice, gave me inspiration, and caused me to appreciate all of the instruments more for their different tonal qualities and playabilities.
  12. Davo-London

Davo-London

I like Jesse's message.

Keep the sonic line simple.

Davo
  13. SteveC

SteveC

I get your point, but I'm kind of feeling the opposite. I'm thinking that maybe a four string would rejuvenate my playing. Get my focus on basics instead of how many notes I can cram in a measure.
  14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    fwiw I forced myself back onto 4 a couple of years ago and it was great. Then I went to Bass Nature Camp, then I spent a year studying with Ant via Skype while having a deliberate practice routine (metronome ftw). That did more for my playing than any gear ever did, though the 4 kinda moved me in that direction. While more strings gives you more options in a given position, those options sometimes are too often taken. Playing more silence usually is magic...
  15. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Got to agree with Jesse. I play at my church as well and the more simple the better. I use either my p bass or my Ric and that is it. Plug into my tuner and DI it. The tone is great and i have listened to it in the house and he is absolutely correct, it sounds like a bass.
  16. millsbass5

millsbass5

Yes!! I agree 110%. That ART Nightbass broke my ass when it comes to being interested in effect. Whatta p.o.s. it was. And, don't even get me started on the sounds it put out.
  17. bachlover

Yeah, I hear you - less is more. Just got back from church practice. With these new basses I feel like I'm not doing them justice unless I'm running up and down the neck. Doesn't seem to work well on say, "Silent Night."
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hate to break it to Jesse, but that's a Black Line SVT, which puts it between 72 and 74, not 69. And trust me, when I kick on my fuzz, it may sound like bass, but it sounds like bass with fuzz on it ;)
  19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're not supposed to do the bass justice, you're supposed to do the music justice. Feel the music first, not the gear. ;)

And maybe the next song on the set list is a funk or gospel number where you have use for more of the instrument's range?
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Didn't you just do that not too long ago when you had your Geddy?:eyebrow:
  21. bachlover

Yeah, it's not the extended range of the instrument that's an issue as much as the extended range of my ego! Further on in the set we play "Go Tell it on The Mountain" which should allow a little more stretching. Think I'll bring along the fretless for "Silent Night".....