This was a first

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nvr2old, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

I've only been gigging a year now and I thought I've experienced every train wreck possible and played my way out of them all, but Saturday at a large private party with the dance floor full I had a new one thrown at me; strap unhooks just as the song gets rolling. :eek: First I tried holding the bass up with my knee and standing on one foot - and that wasn't going to cut it - and then I tried to quick reattach the strap and hope no one noticed - and then the other side of the strap falls off as I got the one side back on. :rollno:

So, resourceful performer that I've become, I hook the E string with my pinkie and third finger and hold the bass up with just those two fingers and continue playing (luckily I didn't really need the E string in this song). I don't think anyone even noticed.

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Just finally broke down and got strap locks after having my well-loved Comfort Strap attempt to do me in the other night....I surrender!
    Nice save! Well played!:bassist:

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    STRAP LOCKS!

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Another vote for strap locks, and mad props for your resourcefulness and quick thinking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Exactly this.

7. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

One year of gigging and you think you've experienced everything?! You underestimate the musician's path, sir...

8. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Yep.

(And, um.. get some washers.) :smug:

9. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Strap locks weren't invented yesterday. Just saying...

10. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

Nice save :)
    I've been caught out with loose screws before. Strap locks won't help ya there. Be sure to keep an eye on those screws for tightness now and again. Carry matchsticks with your screwdriver as well :)

11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

The first time that happened to me was 40 years ago ;). No Straploks back then; there was a complicated leather 2 ply flap-like affair that you put behind the end pin, and at the other end was a screw and a T-nut that you bolted through the strap end. It never, ever came loose. Thank god for Straploks!

12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Yup. Another vote for the strap locks too.

13. sobie18

sobie18

Get a fearful

oops........................sorry, wrong forum :atoz:

14. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

My Gawd! YES, this has happened to me a couple of times in those days of old! I almost dropped my pride and joy......

I went to Dunlop strap locks and don't worry about it anymore......except MAKE SURE that they lock into place! I double check mine each night by trying to pull them apart because one time when I THOUGHT I had locked it down....boom! I almost dropped my bass again!

Oh and like Roy Vogt posted....Nice Save!!!:bassist:

15. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

I like the cut of your jib.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

I gave up on strap locks after too many "false positives". So I just use oversized holders. You have to unscrew the holders to remove the strap.

Still have to check the screws now and then though.

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I use strap locks, and never undo the strap. The whole thing just goes into the gig bag, strap and all.

18. Bill G.

Bill G.

On Saturday, the guitarist in one of my bands just about dropped his Les Paul when his strap came off in the middle of a song. And he was using straplocks! I'm not sure what was going on. Once he reattached the strap, the cable came unplugged from the guitar. I think he was ready to call it quits. :D

19. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

We he playing well ? It sounds to me like the guitar was trying to escape.

20. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

I like this idea. It's not as if I ever take the strap off anyway. I'd never worried about it before, but then I caught Victor Wooten a few weeks back at one of his Guitar Center Q&As and took to heart his advice to worry less about "playing" the bass and instead "groove" with the bass. Transformational. Of course now that I'm suddenly jumpin' and boppin' and all manner of swingin' up there :hyper: the strap doesn't stand a chance without something to hold it on permanently.

21. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

No, perfect. Now that I'm a gigging monster I got myself a GB STL-9.2 for Xmas and I'm agonizing over whether I pull the trigger on a F112 or F115. It's like you're psychic. :D