1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

thoguhts on the zoom b3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinness20, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Was at my local watering hole last night and a Metallica tribute act was on. They were amazing! The bassist in particular was incredible!
    He was playing a Spector 5 string (think it was a legend custom?) and he had what looked like a multi-effects pedal. Don't get me wrong his technique was incredible, but there was just something about his tone - I don't know how to describe it but there was something I hadn't heard before. Towards the end of their set I needed to get going, and as I walked past I noticed the pedal was a zoom b3.

I just wanted to know really what people thought of the zoom b3. I don't know much about either the pedal or the bass - is the Spector legend 5 string bass active? He was playing through a Hartke 4X10 cab, didn't get a proper look at the head but I think it was an Ashdown.

Maybe it was just the quality of his gear that created such a good sound, and I play a stingray 4hh through a fender 75 rumble combo amp so i don't have nearly as good an amp.

Any thought and opinions most welcome :)

2. Swift713

Swift713

If you search you'll find many threads on the B3. It's well liked.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

The zoom b3 is a totally awesome multi-effects processor. it has a large variety of effects, amp and cab models, it's got nice sound quality, and it's useful for recording and live performances. if you're curious on how it sounds, come check out my soundclick website.

www.soundclick.com/crystalman85

I also have started a thread on patch ideas for the zoom b3. if you purchased on and needed some nifty patch ideas, come check out this thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-patch-ideas-918990/

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks for the link man, that is so helpful! Really loving the true metal, cool od, cool distortion and warm od settings! If you don't mind me asking what gear you using? Also it sounds like you're playing with a pick, are you?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Glad you like the sound samples. I recorded these sound samples with a schecter stiletto and an Ibanez soundgear 5-string bass through a tascam portastudio and upload them through my computer. and yes I use a pick.

7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Nice one. Tbh I was beginning to look elsewhere until you posted a reply. Seriously loving those 5 settings - I don't use a pick, but I play a stingray so can hit a bright sound.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

That's cool. I once bought an arbor musicman clone because I wanted to try out musicman basses. it was pretty decent and it does sound like a musicman bass, but I later decided that musicman basses aren't really the right bass guitars for me. so I went back to Ibanez soundgear basses and sticked with them ever since. if I were to purchase another vintage-styled bass, it would definitely be a jazz bass. I would go for the sx jazz basses. other than that, I'm satisfied with schecter and Ibanez basses.

9. Guinness20

Guinness20

Cool. The reason I'm still a bit uncertain is because I love TIm Commerford's tone, and this clip - - is a stingray with a vt bass pedal. I love this clip!

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

I sold off my semi-boutique stuff after getting a B3. I also sold off a bunch of guitar pedals and got a G3. I've tried to like MEP's in the past. These actually work without a bunch of tone suck and are very practical on stage. 1 good modulation pedal paid for the B3...

I don't use a bunch of the distortion you guys are talking about. More the modulation and synth and light compression. So to my way of thinking the b3 is more impressive yet as it serves my needs as well as yours.

12. rsm

rsm

While I'm keeping my other gear, my main gear for bass is a B3, for guitar it's a G5. I run these direct to FRFR. Edit&Share makes creating and tweaking patches easy. I've been using Zoom since the 9002 (still have mine!) but the latest Zoom kit is way ahead of the previous generations of Zoom gear IMO

13. Guinness20

Guinness20

This question is a bit ignorant, but do the sounds coming from the b3 sound accurate? If I knew I could hit raging timmy c's svt tone wit the b3 accurately, then maybe yeah. Good point about the proco as well - though I've listened to some clips of that on the b3 elsewhere and it sounds nothing like the real thing.

14. meatwad

meatwad

I was impressed by the Zoom 9000 in a studio waaay back when they were new, so in turn, I bought a 506 when they came out a few years later. I went through two of those things; One gigged the entire southeast for around a year and died like a true warrior, the other was drowned in dog pee at a house gig. :rollno:

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I would say it sounds pretty close to the real deal. despite the digital sound quality. I really don't care if it's accurate or not. the only thing that matters to me most is if it sound pretty cool. also, many people has different opinions on rather if it's accurate or not. the one thing I would recommend is testing one out at your local music store and see if the zoom b3 is right for you.

16. Swift713

Swift713

Accurate? Are you asking about the amp models? I know many of the effects are not exact copies of anything per se. I've read that the sansamp model is right on. The amp models all have sweep able mids and mix and match cabinet sims which of course the original amps did not. I don't know how "accurate" they are but the whole thing is extremely tweakable. The only way to learn if you can get the sounds you want out of it is to spend some time fiddling with it.

17. schecter5string

schecter5string

I play covers, so I need to be able to get a lot of different tones, this is what my B3 is for, it really does an excellent job.
    I love mine

18. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I use two of them on my board. Love them!

19. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I have a B3. It replaced 5 or 6 pedals for me. I mostly use it for modulations, delays, reverbs and getting weird. I think it's great for the sounds just mentioned but I still run separate fuzzes. I don't think the B3 dirts are horrible but they don't really do it for me. You can get some decent OD sounds with the some of the amp sims. Plus you get a bitcrusher and a ringmod(both really fun but do you want spend 200 or 300 on separate silly noise makers?) and an easy to use looper. Well worth the price just for the mods and delays IMO. There are some B3 sounds on my Soundcloud in my sig. Comet Swallower and John Q. Wobbler are both done using just the B3 and no other pedals.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you are looking for distortion the B3 is not for you. The B3 is an alright tool but the distortions are pretty useless and don't cut the mix in my experience. Granted I am pretty spoiled by having a B3k or VMT these days.

21. Swift713

Swift713

I've found that an overdrive pedal in front of the B3 can breathe life into its dirt offerings.