Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats slap tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Not expecting zing or glassy top end, but if they are as flexible as people say slapping should be comfortable and expressive right?

I would like to hear some clips if anyone has any. Really would like to have an idea of what they sound like slapped before dropping that much money.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Thanks.

My bass has a maple board, so I think it will get a little more bite than those clips.

I like the 2nd one though. wonder how old his set is.

4. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

The seconds clip is the only good one. Let me quantify good: that is more how the strings sound than the other clips. The first clip you can hear the bass acoustically more than plugged in tone. Not good for a demo purpose. The 2nd clip had a properly setup bass played well. The third clip sounded like the strings were very close to the pickup so when he slapped it was all percussion and no tone.. and perhaps too bassy and thick when he did any other stuff. Not a great representation of the strings tone when you enhance the lows that much. Perhaps his setup was too low to let the string ring when he slapped. If anything the third clip shows how important it is to get your bass setup to work with these strings and not just throw them on and try them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

+1 very much

Good call.