Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds revisited.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Feb 2, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

This is a follow up to a previous thread in which I had predicted that once I take put back the original soap cake humbuckers back in my Ibanez SR 406, my TIs would sound much better using just the neck pickup.

I had originally replaced the factory DX6 humbuckers with Carvin J99 single coils hoping that I could get a Marcus Millerish growl. Couldn't get it, even with my DR strings. So I moved the DRs over to a Squier DJAV (now a VI) & I took a chance on TI rounds. They were impressive but quirky, lean sounding, particularly the g string. But they seemed to still have potential so I didn't give up.

Weeks ago I took off the Carvin single coils & put them on the Squier, achieving the sound I was looking for. Recently I put the DX6s back on the Ibanez. The humbuckers did fatten up the sound substantially. As predicted, the TIs sounded at their best using just the neck pickup.

I did find the g string could sound a bit rounder, so I played with my MXR 108 EQ a bit & got what I wanted. Now the g string integrates well with the d. It was also surprising how full & round the c string was. Like a bass, not a guitar.

I brought the Ibanez to a rehearsal, & the guitarist & drummer raved about the sound I was getting. They described it as "fast" & snappy.

The sound I now get with that bass string/pup combination is special & unique. Needless to say I am not selling the Ibanez or the TIs. Nor will I get rid of the active electronics & go passive as I originally planned. If it ain't broke why fix anything?

These strings are quirky & I can't see them working well with single coil pickups, even though they're called 'Jazz Rounds' & their package illustration shows a bass with jazz pups. The Jazz Rounds are apparently new & aren't common or popular. The flats are more common (larger gauge too) though the only name bassist that I know of is Carol Kay.

2. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Of course I meant that Carol Kay's the only famous bassist that I know of who uses TIs.

3. Levin

Levin

Pino Palladino uses the flats? Or? Maybe I'm remembering wrong...
    Love the rounds too! Had them on my Stingray but changed to my fretless :D
    Absolutely fantastic.

4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

But don't you concur that these strings sound better using a double coil, preferably neck position, rather than single coils?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Root 5

Root 5

Yes.

7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Never heard of Palladino till now

8. Levin

Levin

Haha yes, oftentimes I prefer other nickel or steel rounds on for example, jazz basses.

These are great on fretless tho'! And I haven't tried but guess that they work way better on an active than a passive due to their extreme mellowness.

9. Klonk

Klonk Norwegian Wood Supporting Member

I think you should check out Pino Palladino then :oops:

This is him playing his Fender P (he has got a signature bass from Custom Shop like it) with TI Jazz Flats through an Ampeg SVT:

Sorry for thread hijack ;)

10. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

11. Levin

Levin

Double coil it is! For these strings to shine, yes :D

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    My favorite Pino

But you have heard him you probably just don't know it...

13. Matt_T

Matt_T

Ah, I love Pino. One of the coolest bassists around.

14. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Gotta tell you. I've never been that big on pop music/culture, particularly in the 80s. So I haven't really heard Piano.

However, I can't help thinking that each additional decade pop music gets worse & makes the previous decade's music seem terrific by comparison. (That is a typically aging person's perspective, though I have two musician friends, nearly 30 years my junior, who both made that same observation.)

Piano clearly has some technique. I follow Chick Correa on Facebook, & it now appears that he is collaborating with Palladino.

15. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Again, my damn android changed PINO to piano.