Thomastik Infeld Powerbass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steamboat, Jan 22, 2002.

1. steamboat

steamboat

I saw an ad for these in the latest BP and my interest is piqued. They are advertised as having thin cores and nickel plated magnetically active windings. They are supposed to have a very high output.

Anyone tried these out? I am looking at making these my next set of strings for my 4 string.. probably in a month or so.
  2. ohiobob227

ohiobob227

I've got them on my G&L, and I seriously doubt I'll be in the market for another brand of roundwounds any time soon. They do have a slightly higher output than most, but what impressed me the most was their balance. Every other roundwound I've tried has had some area (low end, mids, highs, life, feel, breaking, etc...) where they just weren't good. Brittle highs, unfocused lows, whatnot. None of that here, just a great, balanced sounding string. Plus, I've had this set on my bass since August and they're still going strong.

mike
  3. steamboat

steamboat

Cool.. I think I'll give them a shot. So far my favorite roundwounds have been D'Addario Slowounds.
  4. rsautrey

rsautrey

On my Fender Jazz, the Powerbass reminded me of D'Addario Slowounds. Both of these strings are very balanced sounding IMO. With that said, the main reason I tried Powerbass was because I thought they might be closer to a "Stainless Steel Roundwound" sound due to a magazine ad I saw. IMO, they are a very good nickelplated string but not bright like stainless steel.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

they aren't very "punchy" then?
    durn...:(

i's kinda looking for something comparable to DR hi-beams...but not. ya know, something different, but not in a totally different world.

the only nickels i've tried out are GHSs and i didn't like the feel one bit.

i suppose that TIs feel much different.
  6. oddentity

oddentity

I'd say they are VERY punchy, but not "bright"-- i.e., they don't have the zing of a new stainless string, but they have a lot of midrange punch... and you can get some sweet glassy highs out of them by adding treble and using a pick.
  7. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I have a set of PB ready to install on my RB5. I'll have MP3 recordings of the before and after sounds.

Everybody I've spoken to about PB really likes them, and stays with them.
  8. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I just put some on my RB5. Very balanced and definitely brighter than most nickel-plated steels. They replaced a set of Rotosound Swingbass which are the brightest strings I have ever used. The PBs are definitely not as bright as the Roto's if you compare sets out of the box. However they can sound like a set of Rotos that have had 2 weeks of play. (Lots of punch.) The interesting thing that I discovered is that they are very even in harmonics, unlike the Rotos which have a scooped mid. This means they respond to eq much better than any other strings I have tried. (Overtones are nice a clear too.) So adding a little treble can really make them bright and aggressive if that is what you want. They are also very loud strings. Definitely the best strings I have used. One other thing, they have the slippery feel of nickels, which I like since I like to slide around a lot.
  9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu

I just put these on my Jack Casady bass and they sound great. As someone else commented, they are very even all over the fretboard, compared with the Thomastik Jazz Flats I had on there before. Also much better (IMO) than Rotosounds, which I had been using on my other bass for 10 years. I like the heavier guage (47-107!), although I did find my hand getting tired at points, but that will iron itself out with a couple shows.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got them on two basses - my favorite strings - you should get some.
  11. klokker

klokker

I put a set of them on my G&L 5 string. Good strings, but the low B didn't work very well, I need a tapered B on my bass. The low B on Powerbass strings is like .119 which I prefer as well.
  12. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I don't know if I got a dud set or what... I tried these a couple months ago and was shocked at how fast they went dead. I usually rotate through my basses and replace the oldest strings first, but I found one of my main instruments unusable until I changed these strings out. I've heard good things about these strings so it stinks that it was a bad first impression.
  13. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

interesting as well. I think I might have gotten a dud set as well because the first set I used went dead after like 2 months. Where I hear everyone else getting at least 6 months.
    Don't know if I will try another set just yet because they are just so expensive.
  14. catgut

catgut

Same here man. I have had 3 sets. They were great but turned to string beans in a couple weeks. 2 strings out of those 12 were DOA as well. Might have to do with body chemistry. Good thing for me cause they are super expensive. I moved on.
  15. Root 5

Root 5

They're NOT nickel-plated steel. TI is a little bit coy about the material, but I'd bet it's something along the lines of alloy 52.
  16. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

superalloy are better....even balanced growly and never die...they sound the same 6 months later from when you take them out of the pack.