thomastik jazz flats for pbass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hoyts1, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Hoyts1

Hoyts1

I have a 2003 or 04 fender american series pbass. with a badassIII bridge. through body. Does anyone know what TI jazz flats strings ill need to compensate for the extra length through body? Long scale or the Super long scale.

thanks

Alex

ps. any recommendations for other string that will most closely replicate an upright?
  2. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

I have the long scale on a 2008 P5. The B is strung through the body. Regular long scale is the right length either way. These sound superb after a couple of months break in.

The tension is really low so If you play with a heavy touch and like the strings to fight back then these are not for you. If you play with a light touch or pick and like a meaty complex mid range then these are really good. If you slap....not so good.....possible yes, but the A string doesn't ring out too well.

These sustain quite a bit more than Labella deep talkin flats and are a lot less thumpy. You can't string the labellas through body, they will break.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I have used TI flats on a P bass and have strung them through the body with no problems.
  4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My dad also has TI Long Scale Flats on a American Standard P Bass (2000s model). It is strung through the body with no issues.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

7. Hoyts1

Hoyts1

Great ill order the long scale rather than the super long.

Someone suggested I try the fender flats 9050s?? Are these completely different. Excuse the ignorance, I'm a mandolin player by trade..

Thanks guys!
  8. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the TI flats on my Nash P and my Ric, the string thru Labellas on my Grabber are great too...can't go wrong either way.
  9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Start with the TIs. All others will seem inexpensive after that. :)
  10. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

I had the fender 9050s. They are the exact opposite of the TIs. High tension, stiff and thumpy.
  11. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

+1. Me too. Long scale, through body on a P bass. I've only been playing them for about 8 hours a week, every week, for the past six years, so they're not quite broken in yet.
  12. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Q: How long do TI Flats last?

A: how long do you plan on living?
  13. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

I have TIs on my Glaub and Fender 9050s on my RW P. Both replaced a set of Chromes (super stiff). Once broken in the Fenders nicely split the difference tension-wise.
  14. Hoyts1

Hoyts1

well.... after all that, i ended up with Dr legends. Not installed yet, but they feel super smooth.

a