1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thomastik Round Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by S.fasciani, Nov 4, 2012.

1. S.fasciani

S.fasciani Supporting Member

Ive had a set of these on my p bass for a few week and they are actually a real cool round wound string if you can get used to the low tension. Very smooth deep low end and not too bright. Good definition in the mids as well.
    Has anyone had experience with these string? Ive heard they last long. is this true?
    cheers
  2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

This is the Jazz Rounds set? JR344?

I had a set of those on a Bongo for a while. Super slinky and they sounded broken in right off the bat. Lots of lows and some nice mids.

They lasted a long time for me because I don't really look for lots of high end.
  3. warnergt

warnergt

I was considering trying Jazz rounds on my Jazz bass.

I use TI Jazz Flats on my P bass and love them but, for my
    Jazz bass, I don't think they would give me the tone I'm
    looking for. So I want to try these Jazz Rounds.

I put them on my Christmas wish list. I'm pretty hard to shop
    for so I have to give my wife some suggestions.

[​IMG]
  4. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

The gauges are scary to look at but somehow they feel pretty natural under the fingers. Had some of these on a Casady and were awesome.
  5. trothwell

trothwell

I tried a set of these a few days ago on my precision bass, and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I removed them and put them up for sale on eBay. Just sharing if anyone here might be interested.

(I realize there's also a commerce aspect to this site, but so far I've mostly been a reading lurker, and wasn't sure if my sale would be taken seriously here...)
  6. MR PC

MR PC

Too bad you cut the windings so short....I think it's best to leave as much as possible with the E and A to maximize the downward break angle for the E and A strings.....I'd be worried about string buzzing with windings that short. It might not happen, but you wouldn't know until you tried them on your bass.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have TI PowerBass on a couple of my basses. I love 'em. Odd gauges and slightly slinky, but great sound, especially at the bottom.
  8. trothwell

trothwell

Thanks, MR PC! That was how I had learned to install strings, and thus far it has worked for me pretty well, but you're the second person to inform me of that now. I cancelled my eBay sale, will accept the loss, and will consider myself now better educated on installing strings (especially those I'm not sure I'll want to keep!).
  9. MR PC

MR PC

No loss, just save 'em for that bass in your future with an angled head stock, or slightly shorter scale length (Rick, ect) :) I love having a stash of strings. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger in a set of the TI Jazz Rounds, loving the flats for 10+ years on several basses. I think the rounds will be the ticket for my old Jazz Bass, just for contrast.
  10. biobass

biobass Supporting Member

I love my Jazz Rounds on my '65 Jazz. I've probably had them on there for close to 4 years and feel no need to change them. As with the Acousticores, the Jazz Rounds are very touch sensitive; playing with a light touch people have asked me if they are flats, then I dig in and get all the round wound growl and zing. I have TI strings on most all of my basses.

Cheers,
    Dennis
  11. Shoewreck

Shoewreck

Can these be a magnetic alternative to Acousticores?
  12. dmusic148

dmusic148

Interesting. I was a SunBeams guy forever until I tried Ti Jazz Flats. I'm 'Hmmmm' -ing loudly right now.