Thomastik Spirocore Solo (Review)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by T Sony, Sep 21, 2004.

1. T Sony

T Sony

I'd like to thank Ray Parker for the suggestion of selecting these strings for my bass. The strings are great! Ample sound, great feel arco and pizz. They feel alittle lose turned down to Orchestra pitch but I got used to them quickly!

So far the best string I've played :)

A+
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Glad they're working for you!
  3. greitzer

greitzer

T-Sony -- a couple of follow=up questions. Do you sense any loss of volume in using the solos, and what strings were you using before these? Thanks,

John Greitzer
  4. T Sony

T Sony

I was using Daddario Hybirds, and no I didn't seem to lose any volume at all, seems to louder to tell you the truth.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Some basses respond better to lower tension. I love the feel of solo strings tuned down, but I don't get enough volume to gig acoustic with that low tension on my bass
  7. jctumbao

jctumbao

where is a good site to buy these string sets at a good price
  8. elmer

elmer

He said that he uses the Spiro solos tuned down to the orchestra tuning. Well, listen to his Universal Syncopations cd and you´ll hear that great sound of his. You´ll also hear great music and stunning bass playing. Miroslav Vitous truly is one of the greatest instrumentalists that I know.
  9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Miroslav has been a LaBella endorser for many years.
    Did he really change to Spirocores nowadays?
  10. Valis

Valis

Resurrecting an old thread just to ask if anybody knows of any pro's using these in orchestra tuning for pizz... I'd like to hear a recorded example before trying them. I read they work great arco... better than weich's, correct? I see the possibility of tuning them up a step as a big plus as well...

Also, if anybody compared these to evah weich's it would be nice to hear an opinion about the two....

Thanks in advance.
  11. AMJBASS

Recordings aren't going to be all that helpful IMO. I have a Spirocore Solo D and G on my Tyrolean, they were previously on my Hofner plywood. They are low tension, dark and warm sounding on my Tyrolean. They were bright, and had a stiff reponse on my Hofner. Same strings different basses...

I would recommend them though. They are the thinnest gauge Spirocores come in. Easier to bow, and they feel nice under the left hand. No one can tell you how they will respond on your bass however. You will have to try them. You can try tuning down the strings on your bass a step to see if your bass works well with lower tension however.
  12. Mike D.

Mike D.

are they smaller gauge than Spiro weichs?
    do they feel the same tension wise?
    how about volume and sound-wise compared to weichs?
    are they closer to weichs than mittels?
  13. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

The guage isnt that different to weichs

Weichs vs solos (in millimetres):

IV.....2.8....2.6
    III....2.0....2.0
    II.....1.6....1.6
    I......1.2....1.1

But I think they "feel" thinner because they feel softer and theyre easier to push down ie lower tension. (when tuned to orchestra pitch)

Volume wise, the fundamental note is quieter, but the string is more complex, and the bass resonates more with the lower tension (your results may vary obviously).

All-round these are a different string to weichs and mittels. They are brighter and more complex, while having that spiro character.

You may also have to change your bowing approach to get the most power and tone out of them, otherwise they can sound weak, with a hollow metallic tone. So you have to give them a thorough test to know if they work for you.
  14. damonsmith

damonsmith

I love them tuned down, BUT durring the heavy rains here something came loose inside the bass - hopefully not the bassbar and tuned up to solo tuning the buzz stopped. I have a solo improv concert tomorrow, so I will just do it in solo tuning! That should be fun, then I'll take it in and see what is up, once the rain stops here.
  15. AMJBASS

I have had that experience before as well(higher tension stopping a buzz), although IME its usually a seam, cleat, or a crack rather than the bass bar.

I like Spiro Solos. They are dark but clear. I have had good luck with them on most basses I have played them on.