1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. -George Bernard Shaw

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 96tbird, Feb 22, 2014.

1. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

A very interesting concept. Is there truth in it? In this case I tend to see much truth, repeatedly across the profession.

The modern day literary proverb. Post up your favorites for fun and discourse.
  2. Tegzsa

Tegzsa

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach; those who can't teach, criticise.
  3. nortonrider

nortonrider

nobody has the ability to do both?
  4. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I've done and taught. Teaching is harder.
  5. fmoore200

fmoore200

I think it's untrue. You need a deep understanding of any subject to teach with any real affect.

Also, teaching is it's own ability, separate from whatever subject is actually being taught.
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

That's my experience as well.

I've heard that same proverb over and over again, fortunately that hasn't been true with my teachers.

Regards
    Sam
  7. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

"Thinking is a bluntness; skill is a mindless sharpness."

Discuss.....
  8. dullsilver_mike

dullsilver_mike Supporting Member

Depends on the field and what you mean by "do." If do means the actual craft, then any good teacher is going to be fully capable of doing before they ever develop as a teacher. If "do" means making a living solely by their craft, then lots of bass teachers, for example, can't do it.

There's a huge difference between being competent (or even brilliant) and being able to make your living doing something when it comes to the arts and entertainment. The former is about skill and hard work, the latter is largely about a set of marketing and networking skills that plenty of very talented people just don't have.

All IMO.
  9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Being able to teach a skill improves your own mastery of it. I improve my volleyball game every time I try and teach a new player how to do the basics.
  10. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Paging Tituscrow, paging Tituscrow. Dude knows his stuff, and teaches!

I'm studying physics, I'm very good at it, and would not be able to teach it. I have a hard enough time helping others while studying.
  11. knumbskull

knumbskull

It's one of those sayings that's never sat right with me TBH... it hints at a certain anti-intellectual agenda. And I know people who are teachers who are incredibly capable and knowledgable :)
  12. electracoyote

electracoyote

+1
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

I thought this saying was reserved for high school gym teachers, athletic coaches, stuff like that.

Anyway, obviously a silly cliché and not one of Mr. Shaw's finer moments.
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not true at research universities. There it's the other way around...those on faculty CAN do...but they sometimes can't teach.

Many people are not aware that teaching at a university requires no study or training at all in HOW to teach. They learn via OJT and some of them, frankly, should never be turned loose in a classroom. Others are wonderful, even inspirational, teachers.

I've been at research universities for 34 years, and I've seen faculty fall into all categories. I do what I teach about, and I teach both online and face to face. But my MA and PhD both include work in Adult Education...so I have no excuse when I screw up, as I'm supposed to know what I'm doing.

K-12 teachers? Those people are saints. They do get training in how to teach, but with all the BS agendas we've laid on them, it's a wonder they ever get a chance to deal with actual teaching. I have immense respect for K-12 teachers.
  15. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Well it's a line from a play. I doubt that it was his sentiment.

It seems more of a case in that is how it might appear. I rephrase my OP that it SEEMS true in many cases. In reality I know it can't be true.

This stems from my past profession where I acted in a fiduciary capacity to quite a number of teachers. No matter how I laid it out before them, they all resisted proper, generally accepted advice and guidance even though they came seeking it. Each one couldn't accept that the choices they made were actually harmful to their wealth.

People from other professions lacked this resistance. It was all so very confusing why this should be. Every time I hear that quote my puzzlement is piqued again.
  16. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

The Shaw quote is actually a pretty lame over-generalisation, as generally bandied about. Lots of people who are good at a variety of things would never make an effective teacher. On the other hand, some of them do. And every GOOD teacher knows their stuff.

Maybe the quote should have read "Those who can, do, and some of them also teach, with big variations in quality. Some of those who can't, teach ineffectively." But then it probably wouldn't have sounded glib or smug enough in the context for which it was written.
  17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

And, according to the first professor I had in college, "...and those who can't teach, teach teachers".
  18. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Ha. I've heard that so many times. It's what I do for a living. :D
  19. spade2you

spade2you

Very much in agreement.
  20. ZenG

ZenG

Woody Allen said that :-

"Those who can :do, those that can't:teach, those that can't teach, teach gym."

I think there is a modicum of truth to it....how many times have you seen where a person started out in something with high aspirations.....then failed to achieve their goals....then decided to teach it instead.

But it's a bit of a blanket statement........there's lots of people out there that DID make it as pros....and then later decided to teach the up-and -comers with great success.

On the other hand I dislike teachers who strictly focus
    on perceived "correctness" in the creative arts.

This goes for critics too.........anybody can criticize.....and they do.

If the world had listened to all the "correctness" critics....half of the world's great works would never have seen the light of day.