1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Those who have owne SVT-2 and mesa 400

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I had the mesa 400 first got the SVT2 today....is it just me or is the mids/highs area of the SVT a bit muddy? I think the Mesa400 might be clearer in that area and more defined...I dunno which I should keep...its like I am trying to get my SVT to sound like my mesa! maybe its the cheap China tubes installed in the SVT...anyone else own both? is it just me?
    Wait I just discovered the bright channel!!! can you run both channels at once?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

3. Dredmahawkus

that was a spectacular post!!! I wish I saw that! It describes both side by side perfect!!! and I agree with you 100% about both...except one thing! now I shouldnt even say this because I have had the ampeg for about 11 minutes....but I think the mesa might be a bit more versatile...just because it plays the highs so crisp and clean...and I cant dial that in with the ampeg....but finger style I really like the ampegs voice...it is different! I actually kinda like how the highs a bit muddy sound....it seems to make it sound a bit more even....therefor making the highs a bit more clear....where the mesa400 is so bright it tends to get lost.
  4. Dredmahawkus

one thing the mesa is better at is carrying it! I was wheeling the ampeg through the streets of Boston a couple hours ago...I should say rolling it on the brick sidewalks...it wasnt fun! thank god the case has wheels!
    they were selling it with a 8-10 for cheap....I just couldnt carry that thing around! I think I will stick to my light neos till someone convinces me the ampeg 8-10 must be paired with svt2.
  5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

When it comes to the high-end of the SVT, I'd highly recommend pushing the High button in while keeping the Low button out. It will add a lot of articulate presence in the upper harmonics. Also, the graphic EQ is very powerful, so don't be afraid to experiment with it.

I find that the preamp of the Ampeg is very sensitive to tube changes. I experimented with taking one of the RCAs out of my Ampeg and putting in a Sovtek. Even in my crappy sounding living room at personal practice volume, the difference was night and day. The RCA was much more three dimensional and organic sounding. So yeah, replacing the Chinese tubes may not be a bad idea. The Mesa, on the other hand, sounds absolutely awesome with $10 Sovteks.
  6. Dredmahawkus

My mesa I have like yours JJs with I think I put a telefunken in V4 and a A2u7 in V1...it sounds great! the next thing on that I am going to do is when it needs new tubes I am going to put KT88s....can the SVT2 take KT88s?
    what kind of tubes should I get for the SVT?
  7. Dredmahawkus

Now I see what all the fuss is about...even though it sounds muddy kind of...the notes when in a mix are more articulate....its hard to explain. playing by yourself you think its quite not as clear as you are used to....but when you play in a mix you can hear yourself more clear....I think I am in love with this ampeg! now what do I sell my mesa or my mbfusion....my back says mesa and ampeg! lol I am seriously sore from wheeling and lifting that amp all over creation today!
  8. Dredmahawkus

ok since I have all chineese tubes in this...and it still does not sound bad.....do I get the svt pro retube kit? is it the same as the non pro?
    I will get them soon then take it to my tube amp guy to check it out and retube it...they are crap tubes in there now national chineese ones.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The tube that will make the biggest change is the first preamp tube, usually referred to as V1. Try a couple of different 12ax7's in it and see what you think before going and retubing the whole thing. I generally find full retubes a giant waste of money.
  10. Dredmahawkus

yeah but they are cheap national chineese tubes all in it....I have a whole bunch or preamp tubes....and it actually sounds ok to me now....but it could probably be better with a JJs set in it....I will probably leave them for a little while....but nationals are the cheapest tubes you can get....so it probably does not sound right.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    National was a rebrander, and from what I'm reading, a lot of their 12ax7's are microphonic, so maybe you would have better luck with something else. My Heritage has JJ's in it and I'm pretty happy with it. Then again, I swapped out the JJ for a Ruby 12ax7 (another rebrander), and they sounded identical, so it's possible you have decent tubes in there already, too.
  12. Dredmahawkus

I have been looking all over the net for this question...and I just keep getting different answers!
    with my mesa 400 I have 2 8ohm cabs in the 4ohm speaker slots in the back of the amp....is that ok? or do I have to go get 4 ohm cabs now? I have read its ok and I have read tube amps its not ok.....I have been using my mesa like that for almost a year!
    now the SVT2 I put the switch on 4 ohm and hooked up both 8ohm cabs.
    Is that how its supposed to be? or is a tube amp somehow different?
    both cabs have to be hooked up right?
  13. bassfreakah

bassfreakah Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    two 8 ohm speakers are 4 ohm so that is fine!
  14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Sounds like you got it right.
  15. Dredmahawkus

thanks! thats what I was thought...Then I was reading somewhere that tube amps were different.... I was like great I have been running the 2 8ohm cabs into the 4ohm on my mesa for like a year!
  16. Dredmahawkus

That SVT2 is kind of amazing! Its meatier and beefier....yet more aritculate...especially with a maple fretboard jazz bass! the tone is just insane! A bit muddy with rosewood but I will figure out how to EQ that out soon enough...when I play with it more.
    I love my mesa 400 but I think I like the SVT better.....it sure is a different voice!
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

You're right, tube amps are different. Usually a tube amp 4 ohm tap wants a 4ohm load, but evidently the Mesa taps are not like that.
  18. Dredmahawkus

what about the SVT2? is it ok to use the 8 ohm cabs with it?
  19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Sure, no problem, if you use two cabinets with the switch in the 4 ohm position.
  20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The SVT wants to see a 4 ohm load or a 2 ohm load. It doesn't care how that happens, just that it sees what it wants.
    Both of your 8 ohm cabs together = a 4 ohm load.

You can use:
    (1) 4 ohm cab
    (2) 8 ohm cabs
    (2) 4 ohm cabs (a 2 ohm load)
    (4) 8 ohm cabs (also a 2 ohm load)
    DO NOT use one 8 ohm cab by itself. People have reported that it works fine, but it's still not recommended.

As for tube amps being different than SS amps:
    A SS amp is generally happy with it's minimum load or higher. So if the SS amp can go down to 4 ohms, you can safely use a 4 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab. In this example, with the 4 ohm cab the SS amp will put out it's maximum wattage. With the 8 ohm cab it will put out roughly half of it's wattage. This is what the whole 500w @ 4 ohms / 300w @ 8 ohms specs mean.

A tube amp on the other hand wants to see the a specific load and generally does not like running anything other than that. They will also output their maximum wattage at any impedance (ohms). So your SVT does 300w @ 4 or 2 ohms.

I know the Mesa 400+ will do 8/4/2 ohms, but I'm not sure about the 400. If it does, then you can use a single 8 ohm cab with it as well.