1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thoughts on Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jamerman, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

Considering going to go see it, just wondered if you guys thought it was good/bad

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

My wife and I saw it Friday. We enjoyed it.

3. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

It's easily the best of the Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 2 movies. IM 3 and T-TDW were a little on the weak side. Captain America - The Winter Soldier is topical from a plot standpoint, and advances several story lines. I found it to be one of the better films overall from the MCU.

4. Jamerman

Jamerman

People on the internet agree with me that Iron Man 3 is quite weak, but in the outside world people tell me that it's the best :confused:

Bearing in mind these are the people who think Transformers 2 is a good movie :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hover

hover Banned

IM3 only "suffered" from being directed by a different director, which meant it had a different "feel"..but I still think it was a much better installment than IM2, by a long shot. It was playful, but with some real gravity to it.

CA2 was pretty good too, and overall the better of the series to tie in all of the "Marvel-verse", and is also tying in directly with Agents of SHIELD on tv, which I think is really hitting its stride too, I love how it's all getting intertwined, so much so that Agents released only 2 new episodes on two months to follow through and tie in to CA2.

I think a lot of good things were revealed and set up within CA2, even if the basic premise seemed kinda wrote. It drags a little in act 2. But I enjoyed it a LOT more than either Thor movies, and ALL of the Hulk movies that preceded it.

SPOILERS AHEAD: (highlight to read)
    The ONLY thing that kinda stunk in CA2, is that thematically and premise-wise, the 3 helicarriers and their purpose in the movie (per Hydra's intent) is EXACTLY the same as what Stryker was aiming to do with Cerebro in Xmen 2. Just exchange "mutant" with "future threat tracked by data"

7. mkandolf

mkandolf

Winter Soldier is a very good movie, but don't expect it to be the first Captain America. They are two very different movies. Winter Soldier is taking a dark look at what America is becoming with 'protecting us from ourselves.'

Definitely the best of the phase 2 Marvel movies.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Saw it the day after it opened. Good movie. Was more like a spy/intrigue movie. Who's really your 'friend'! Agents Of Shield had a tie in as well. Tonight's episode is supposed to be a good one.

9. Milk

Milk

I haven't seen it but I didn't think IM3 was as bad as people made it out to be, it was meant to be pretty damn silly. It didn't take itself seriously at all. It was very much a Shane Black film. As for Thor The Dark World, I thought Thor was one of the worst superhero movie of the past 15 years (down there with like Elektra and Daredevil and Ghost rider) but thought the Dark World was a vast improvement. Not great by any means, but watchable and fairly enjoyable. What sucked is going from an interesting villain like Loki to a completely generic one like Malekith. A shame that Christopher Eccleston is reduced to playing boring baddies. he has the acting skills for so much more. the best part of the film to me involved Loki, when Malekith's right hand man is freeing the prisoners in the Asgard prison and is about to free Loki and then takes a good look at him and decides not to. It really established Loki as a truly dangerous villain, in fact, more so than Malekith. When other major bad guys are worried about you, you know you made it.

I thought the first Captain America was just serviceable, it didn't offend but didn't thrill. This one looks like an improvement. But i'll know for sure when I see it. One thing for sure, they tired to keep the winter soldier thing kinda secret...hmm...some of us have read comics you know. There was never gonna be any surprise about him or his identity.

10. Jamerman

Jamerman

Well as long as Man of Steel II, Avengers II, and Guardians of the galaxy don't suck, I think superhero movies are pretty much safe for now :)

11. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Watched it opening weekend with my wife, we both enjoyed it

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I liked it a lot. Good action, story and effects. Not a fan of the carrier bit, but they're part of the comic universe. The Winter Soldier was not a surprise, but who he was with was to me. Good performances all around.

13. Milk

Milk

theyre still pretending it will be called man of steel II? Considering it has Batman and WW, I think it's safe to say this is gonna be called JLA. If it isnt', it's just stupid. that or both Batman and WW have very short cameos.

14. Jamerman

Jamerman

Hey if it sucks we can all just say the lego movie did a better job of handling DC's heroes than DC did xD

15. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Upon my first viewing it is my favorite show in the MCU, with Spider-Man 2 and X-Men First Class up with my favorite comic's movies. The tie in with Agents of SHIELD is like a force multiplier

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I enjoyed it ... IM3 was ok but being a purist I hate what they did with The Mandarin.. That was the worst part of that movie for me.. Imagine if the Joker or Lex Luthor were reduced to some actor playing a role.. that was the impact of that for me.. The Madarin was to Iron Man what those villians were to their protagonists.. but TWS was pretty good.. the action scenes were off the chain..