1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts on Carvin cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Jan 29, 2014.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I recently posted a while ago asking what I could do to go louder and how NOT to blow out my amp. Everyone is always really helpful :)

I'm taking the advice from several people that I need to double whatever my guitarist has. We have two guitar players and we are playing LOUD metal. It's not my taste in music, but everyone in this small town in Arizona seems to just love it. I admit that I love to at least be a part of something.

However, I'm relocation to a (hopefully) Vegas for a new music scene to meet up with musicians who prefer all different genres of music.

ANYWAYS, many people suggested that I double the amount of speakers that my guitarist has. I have two at the moment, so do I need to make up for him as well? I have a custom cab with a Hartke HA35000 head. I can't remember the exact name but it's Hartke and it has 350 watts. I was looking into the cabs for Hartke and it seems like it's not a lot better than Behringer which is NOT a good thing. Though the price is low for these suckers, I would want something that has a lot of power and tone. I'm all about tone. Is Hartke good? If so, please tell me your experiences with the use of the cabs. So far, I'm not entirely pleased with the sound I get from my head and how it functions.

I'm looking into Carvin at the moment. I hear that make incredible basses and amps. http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/basscabinets.php

That's the page I'm looking at right now. I'm going with 8 Ohms because of my cab. I want to add onto it without destroying it with 2 Ohms as somebody mentioned. I also intend to later fully upgrade to all Carvin if it's as good as I think it is.

The three questions I have, which everyone always gives me more! I love you guys :)

1. Should I just upgrade to Hartke 4x10 cab? How do they hold up, and is there a lot of great TONE?

2. Should I get the 2x10 cab from carvin? (BR210-8 Bass Cabinet) OR just jump right into the 4x10 model?

Thank you :D
  2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

As a owner of a Hartke LH1000 and Carvin cabs. I can tell you a few things from my experience with them. I have had hartke cabs before and I did not like them at all. My hartke head runs at 8 4 or 2 ohms. My carvin cabs are both 4 ohms so it gets the max out of my head at a 2ohm load. Depending on the Carvin head you are looking at they will run a 2ohm load as well. The Carvin B2000/1500 both handle 2 ohm loads.

As far as the carvin cabs go i use the BRX 4.10s They are great cabs especially for the price. Much better than Hartke IMO. They handle 1200W each. I can move some serious air with these things. Im getting rid of my Hartke head for a Fender Super Bassman 300. The Hartke puts out all of the power I could ever need. It just seems to be a little too dark for my tastes. It has served me well for many years though. If I wanted to stick with SS I would most definitely pick up a Carvin B2000 head, but I am switching to an all tube setup.

Assuming you don't want to spend the money on a tube head a Carvin amp would be a great choice. You also can't go wrong with GK either.

As far as the Carvin cabs go. I would get the BRX cabs. Huge difference in quality, tone, and power from the standard BR cabs, for only a little more dough.

Hope this helps.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What is your budget?
  4. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Depends on if everyone thinks I should upgrade the head too. If not, probably $300 - $500

If a new head is required then probably MAYBE $700
  5. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

The Carvin cabinets in general are very nice for the money. I would agree with bassmusic17 that for the extra $100 the BRX 210 is well worth it. The only issue is that it is a 4 ohm cabinet, which is okay if you are going to only use one. However if you plan on adding a second cabinet you will either need to stick with 8 ohm cabs or find a head that can handle 2 ohms, which the Carvin heads can do.

In the low $700 range I would look at this setup:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX500-10.2

If you can get it up to $800 then I would go this route:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX700-10.2
  6. CL400Peavey

I would say shop used then. Find the best 8 Ohm used 410 you can. Then get a second matching one.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Avatar was selling the B212 cabs for 385.00 bucks. Nice cab loaded with 500w Eminence Delta LF speakers.
  8. CL400Peavey

Eh... I would shy away from them in favor of something better that is used.
  9. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I had 2 of the Carvin BRX 10.2 cabs for a few weeks and sent them back in favor of a pair of Avatar B212s. The Avatars have been much more suited to what I'm doing and match up really nicely with my Carvin BX1500. The Carvins weren't bad cabs, but they weren't as loud or deep as I would have liked. As for the BR cabs, I think that they're not worth the savings over the BRX if you go with Carvin based on my experiences with the 410 at a rehearsal hall.
  10. sinbad7

sinbad7

I've pretty much only ever had Carvin amps and cabs and loved them whole heartedly. I've used a hartke cab and thought it sounded like crap compared to my carvin stuff, but it was only one low model hartke cab. I have a carvin BX500 head pushing a carvin RL810 cab and I love the sound so much. I will honestly probably always stay with carvin because I have loved every carvin product I have used.
    I would recommend just going right to the 410
  11. eriky4003

eriky4003

JeffVanter,
    I wouldn't put Hartke cabs in the same bucket as Behringer. I have seen Behringer knock-off Hartke's cabs but the Hartke speakers would likely be way better. A lot of love for Hartke amps and cabs on this forum.
    With the 3500 you can have either a 4ohm cabinet or 2 8ohm cabinets to run at 4 ohms. You could buy the 8 ohm 2x10 to start and if you find you need more volume buy another. I believe at 8 ohms, the 3500 puts out 240 Watts so you probably want that 2x10 to be rated at 300W or higher and listen for speaker distress (farting or distortion) while playing.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The BRX10.2 cabs sound great and cut like a knife onstage, great for pop'n slap, funk jazz, etc... The Avatar B212's are BIGGER sounding for rock+blues. Those speakers can be pushed. A bit darker but can be EQ'd to cut, especially with a Carvin head which are somewhat hi-fi compared to other heads.