Thoughts on Fender Modern Player Satin Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awilkie84, Jan 26, 2014.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

So, I've narrowed down my pick of a NEW (don't start on about "buy used", I want a warranty & financing) bass to a Jazz. Despite being a Precision guy for years, I want a jazz for variety.
    I'm looking at the Modern Player Jazz Satin & would like to know what everyone thinks about it. The Satin black with maple neck would be my choice.

I'm also curious as to whether it's possible to wire it to get all 9 pick-up combinations, given that each pick-up has 3 options on its own.
  2. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I want one to, but my problem is that I want the 2 color sunburst with a maple fingerboard:rollno:.

My local store will only bring one in for me with a deposit, no biggie, but I don't want to commit to one till have my balance (L and M) paid down some more, and I don't really have anything I want to trade atm.

Also for what I want I would to order 2 and neck swap em:rollno:

So therein lye's my problem.

To your concern of the pickup options. I thought of this myself and think it might be possible. 1. Stacked pots for coil taps, another stacked pot for series/ parallel, then rewire the coil selector switch to select each coil individually.

I think that would cover them all, though I got a headache just thinking about it!
  3. awilkie84

I was thinking stacked Vol/Tone for each pickup & then 2 3-way switches. Unless of course they're not actually 4 pickups & are just 2 with a coil tap on each.
  4. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I do believe that a coil tap would indicate that there are separate coils. Are you thinking Single/Humbucker/Parallel(or series) for each pickup? I think that would work. But I would like it if a tech would chime in.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

While a coil tap indicates separate coils, it doesn't indicate whether the inner coils have leads that can be used individually. From what I gather on the base wiring, the outer coils are the taps.

What I'm thinking is Single-Inner/Humbucker/Single-Outer
  7. vdub75

vdub75

I have the jag from that series and the quality is great, better than any new mexican I tried!
  8. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

I've had a 2tsb MP Jazz V since August last year and I have to say I still love it. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-v-1011436/ - Link to my NBD post with feedback from a few other owners.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the bass in terms of build quality, tonal versatility and value for money. It's definitely something I would recommend without hesitation.

The common complaint/observation seems to be the bass's weight. Mine is around 10.5lbs and this appears to be the norm. Just something to bear in mind if you like a light bass.

If you have any specific questions about the bass then fire away and I'll do my best to answer.
  9. vdub75

vdub75

the jag is lighter (aboput 9.3 lbs)
  10. awilkie84

The consensus on these does seem to be that they're nice, but slightly heavy. That said, you have a 5-er. I'm going for the 4, I think. If it clocks in at under 10lbs, I'm happy. :)
  11. johnson79

johnson79

I've seen quite a few bigger name bassists playing the older version live. Karl Alvarez and Jason Black. Can't get much better than them, so I think this bass would be a no brainer.
  12. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

I've been sorta mesmerized by this bass too. Especially since they added the new pickup control options. -A friend of mine loves his original - says the tone is fantastic.

I just got myself a P clone - so I have to let the GAS settle in again before getting serious - but man, I'm with you - under 10lbs and I'm in.
  13. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    So you want to make the pickup system copy the Roscoe Beck layout. That seems possible, however to me (since i own both the MPJV satin and the RBV) the pickup settings of the MP Jazz satin nail the best of what the RBV has to offer. Slightly less "hi-fi" than the RB, but very good sounding. The single coil settings on the MPJ are significantly less volume than the humbucker settings. One big bonus the MPJ satin has is that there is ZERO noise in all settings, including single coil. The RB has the hum. Check Sweetwater as they list weights for all basses, im sure a 4-banger under 10 lbs exists.
  14. awilkie84

My main reason for wanting to have all the pickups options is to get the standard jazz layout. You can currently get both outer coils, but the 2 inner coils are the ones that are in the traditional jazz position. It would be a more versatile bass if you had that many options. :)
  15. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Im sure it could be done. It was probably built with less options to keep the price point down. I personally dont miss that option myself, but i can see where some may want that available! :)
  16. awilkie84

Ok, I pulled the trigger on one after work yesterday.
    It should be arriving either late this week or early next. :D
    Hopefully it's not a dog for weight, or I'll have to send it back & get another.
  17. Bogster

Bogster Supporting Member

Interested myself in knowing the ins and outs of the four string version of this bass. I've been eyeing it for months now, but everyone who's picking it up seems to be jumping on the five string version. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.
  18. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It sure is pretty.
    [​IMG]
  19. awilkie84

I'm assuming it's going to be a lighter version of the same bass. :) I'll definitely post a review.

Yeah. Finally Fender has given us a Black & Maple combo with some interesting tonal options. :D
  20. walldaja

walldaja

I got a 5-string and love it. It weighs almost 11 pounds but I still like it. Typically I use all the pickups--it is the sound in my head. I especially like the jack location--side of body vice control panel. The Fender hi-mass bridge lets it sustain for a looooong time. There are subtle changes between 12 and 13, bridge and cable route.
  21. awilkie84

IMO, the 12s don't even hold a candle to the 13s. The 12s were humbucking pickups with no split options. VVT wiring like a standard jazz. Different bridge & neck. No truss at the heel. Very different breed.