Thoughts on Fender's Sting Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Dec 27, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

Delving into P bass territory and wanted to know your thoughts on the Fender Sting P bass Reissue. Thanks!
  2. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

I can't speak from experience with that particular model, but doesn't it have a single coil pickup? If so, I would think that would offer a somewhat different vibe from what you would find in the split coil design of most P-basses.

I just made the P-bass plunge for the first time earlier this year, and I am now drinking the Kool-Aid. And just so I can hang out with the cool kids on TB, I put flatwounds on it...
  3. DanGouge

DanGouge

Visually I think a lot of folks were put off by the signature inlay at the 12th fret. Otherwise it seems like a decent bass if you want that single-coil original P-bass sound. You might also like some of the various '51 reissues out there.
  4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

And an Ampeg, playing a P bass with flats through an Ampeg is part of the ritual.

Someone else will talk to you about tort guards, I'm not THAT cool yet.

As to the OP's question about the Sting model, I've played one and liked it. I've yet to take the plunge. The Kool-Aid does have a slightly different taste with the single coil.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Yeah, mine came with the tort guard when I bought it. That, of course, was also a must to maintain any TB Precision cred.

Again, no experience with the single coil P, but would strongly recommend the split coil variety.
  7. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

What is the single vs. split coil sound difference? Also looking at an 80's MIJ with Basslines and a Leo Quann Badass II bridge. How much different will these sound? Both have maple necks.
  8. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

and I have a set of flats for it...so I can build build my TB P cred.
  9. Bongolation

Bongolation

I've written a ton about this bass over the years. Try a search.

Short answer, Though it's my #1 or #2 bass of numerous Precisions, I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the average player.
  10. DanGouge

DanGouge

1980s MIJ Fenders are great basses. Do you know which Basslines pups are in there? The Badass bridge is alternately regarded as tonal salvation and nothing more than snake oil around here, as for me, I wouldn't rush out to buy one but I wouldn't bother to swap it out either if a used bass already had one.
  11. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

If it's your first Precision, I recommend the most recorded bass in history - the split coil version (though split, it is a single coil pickup). Regardless if you play flats or rounds, this is "THE" Fender bass.

The "Sting" 50s P is a good addition as a second or 3rd bass.
  12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

The single coil has a much broader and less focused sound. It's very much more "unbridled".

The split coil has that natural low mid bump that really sits in the mix nicely. It's a much more user friendly sound than the single coil.

They are both nice P Bass sounds. If the looks of the Sting bass does it for you, hard to go wrong.
  13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

The single-coil has a fast attack and little sustain, which gives it a lot of punch and thump. It has a warm, "hi-fi" sound but it is also subject to hum due to its single-coil construction.

The split-coil has a smoother attack and longer sustain, and a prominent mid-range bump in the sound.

I have both, and each one has its uses. The guys in the dance hall band I was in wouldn't let me play anything other than the split-coil; for my current combo, the single-coil sounds best.

Both basses are from Fender's Classic series: the '51 and the '50s.

[​IMG]

I need to Photoshop the fretless out of this photo: like Uncle Chang Song-thaek, it is no longer a part of the menagerie.
  14. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I owned a Sting that was quite neck heavy. Also, it has a ball bat neck, which you may or may not like.
  15. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

Thanks! That is a great explanation of the differences. I have been listening to a lot of Pino and am digging his big P sound. My main bass is a Lakland 44-02 and it just can't provide that classic P tone...it comes close but no cigar. It's a lot of fun looking and learning.
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I had a couple Stings a few years back when they could be had in the $3-400 range used ... as mentioned above, certainly very nice basses, but not everyones cup of tea and certainly maybe not the best choice as a one and only ... between the Stings and the '51 RI's that I had, there was a lot of variety in weight also .. I had one that was about 7.5 lbs (cant remember which), all the way up to a couple over 9-9.5# ... lots of folks were buying both and switching out the necks to end up with a non-Stinglay bass with a countoured body ...

I would absolutely be considering a more conventional split coil P (used) to test the waters with ... depends a lot on neck profile you like, which I would be looking for primarily ... you have several profiles and a couple nut widths to choose from with a split coil P ... JMHO